Medical grade Cannulas

RyaninMa

14 minutes ago, RyaninMa said:

Hey guys,

first post here, I’m a new M20K owner about to make the flight to Alaska mid summer. Any thoughts out there on trying to cut some costs and use medical nasal cannulas vs some GA versions?

thanks,

You can get them quite a bit cheaper if you shop around and buy them from the medical supply houses.

https://heymedsupply.com/oxygen-conserving-nasal-cannula-continuous-flow-chad-oxymizer-adult-mustache-style-nasal-prong-o-224-each-1/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI85iTh_uh8AIVfh6tBh1n-AB4EAQYBCABEgJCA_D_BwE

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Never mind the cannulas... Can you get to Alaska without stopping in Canada? We were going to go this summer, but Canada is still closed.

Its not too hard to not land in Canada. Its been awhile so I don't recall if you still need a canpass for overflight. I don't think so.

-Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RyaninMa said:

Hey guys,

first post here, I’m a new M20K owner about to make the flight to Alaska mid summer. Any thoughts out there on trying to cut some costs and use medical nasal cannulas vs some GA versions?

thanks,

I think if you use a pulse-demand system like an O2D2 those work.    With a regulator and continuous-flow system one of the oxygen conserving systems like shown above is much, much better than a the normal medical cannulas with no reservoir.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

But do you need to interact with those folks for an overflight without landing in Canada?

-robert

I’m sure that ATC will provide service for your flight through Canadian airspace. @ohdub?

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Interesting developments in wearables....

I saw some fit bits have included the O2 saturation as well... 

Of course... not the one I have.

Best regards,

-a-

I was thinking of going something on my wrist, but the ring thing seemed to be getting better amazon scores for accuracy and also more easily viewable if I have on long sleeves - nit picking on that one.  The main idea is for it to buzz alarm if I am not looking at it but there is a problem.  There are several choices these days even in the ring category.  These things are trending for people with sleep apnea but some, including this one, mention the idea the pilots might like it too.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 4:26 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Never mind the cannulas... Can you get to Alaska without stopping in Canada? We were going to go this summer, but Canada is still closed.

You should be able to fly from Seattle to the lower leg of Alaska without any issues. Not much Canadian coastline due to the lower leg of AK. 

Seattle to Ketchikan is only 591 nm

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

Rumor is the next version of the Apple watch will display your O2 sats and BAC.

My D2 Delta shows it. But takes a measurement every minute or so. 

F51D02D2-4698-4D38-BBD0-583FAF7E5593.jpeg

30 minutes ago, GLJA said:

My D2 Delta shows it. But takes a measurement every minute or so. 

F51D02D2-4698-4D38-BBD0-583FAF7E5593.jpeg

I've got one of those as well. It works, but I noticed it's a little lower than a finger tip pulse ox. My finger will show 98 while the D2 will be around 95.

Better low than high I guess.  

• Like 1

Just now, ragedracer1977 said:

I've got one of those as well. It works, but I noticed it's a little lower than a finger tip pulse ox. My finger will show 98 while the D2 will be around 95.

Better low than high I guess.  

I was wondering about that. Mine is the same way. Usually shows around 95%

On 4/28/2021 at 3:45 PM, Mark89114 said:

Not sure that anything medical grade is cheaper than aviation grade.  Two industries screaming for cost overhauls.

A lot more people dying with respiratory problems than piston pilots flying at oxygen altitudes. Us pilots just get the leftovers from the medical world.

• Like 1

The point is, this ring thing is a dedicated device vs say buying an iWatch just for the o2sat.  I mean if you want an iwatch then thats what you want to buy.  I like my analogue watch and it is an autowinder and I like that it stays on my arm 24-7 and I can rely on accurate time any time on travel and no extra chargers.  I don't want an iwatch.   And I don't want to buy one just for the o2.

This ring thing has 12hrs battery, and it is quite small.   And much cheaper. It was something like  150 on Amazon.

Seems to work as hoped.  I flew at 12500 yesterday and sure enough the ring alarmed when my O2 dipped to 88.   so I put on my cannula and you see my o2 is happy.  It seems to read about 2 points higher than my thumb clip o2sat thing, but this one is nice since I don't need to look at it neurotically the whole time.  It will buzz at me if I need to worry about o2 sat.

IMG_1949.jpg

• Like 4