Mooney Down Warwick, NY (N72) 04-28-21

Since apps such as ForeFlight can recognize the runway we’re entering and the available length, wouldn’t it be a nice feature to be able to customize it to announce sequentially the remaining available runway either in feet or percentage as we’re rolling down the runway for takeoff or as we come in over the numbers and start the landing phase?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cbarry said:

Since apps such as ForeFlight can recognize the runway we’re entering and the available length, wouldn’t it be a nice feature to be able to customize it to announce sequentially the remaining available runway either in feet or percentage as we’re rolling down the runway for takeoff or as we come in over the numbers and start the landing phase?

That would be an awesome feature!   At most fields that I fly into structures are clustered most often at one end, sometimes at both ends.  Very few have much near mid-field.   That makes the procedure recommended by @kortopates hard to follow.   A mid-field pop-up flag like the (500') flag that pops up on approach would allow for a quick check of IAS.   If this is indeed training doctrine, maybe the FAA should recommend painting of a wide stripe at the half-way point along runways?

On 5/9/2021 at 10:59 PM, cbarry said:

I believe foreflight does that already

37 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

I believe foreflight does that already

If I’m not mistaken, it does give runway proximity and runway final approach alerts, but not remaining runway while on the roll or in the touchdown phases.

2 minutes ago, Schinderhannes said:

1636_0.jpg

In Germany, where airfield are typically shorter, the halfway point is marked with a yellow "Dachreiter" 

I was wondering why we don't have such a thing here.

And why are the roads narrower and the runways shorter in Europe?  I guess you guys are just tougher than we are over here in the Americas.

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

At a minimum, wouldn’t it be nice to at least have marks on the runway that could show you how much distance you had before running off the end?

Oh wait, we already have that...

1E28F5DE-E43B-4D95-AA86-545013BE1917.png

Unless it is a shorter runway, which is where most of this discussion is centered.

Warwick Airport

image.thumb.png.c4b1ac3c62d814e1b970d8878865ed13.png

My home at KFUL

image.thumb.png.2ad23abccfa0fc749c69af99dba4086b.png

• Like 2

Thanks for posting those picks Richard (@Skates97) as it cleary shows in both examples we have means reasonably identify the middle of the runway. Warwik has the taxiway departing from 21L, yet departing from 3R I woud choose a tad earlier abeam the parked cars since the taxiway looks a bit closer to 21L theshold. 

At Fulleron the middle taxiway crossing looks very reasonable.

This isn't a measurement we need to be exact, but a position we want to make sure that as we're approaching it if there is doubt we won't be at 70% Vrotate speed that its time to abort. Not continue hoping it will improve only to see that we won't be getting off at the end. 

Every private student I've worked with gets its pretty easily without an iPad in the cockpit and just a airport diagram (consulted before departure). The other runway markers not yet mentioned are the remaining thousands of feet available on many runways.

When the runway is really short, which can also be a dirt runway, I actually make a point of walking the runway, both picking the spot I use to make the turn around atwhen back taxing as well as for how I'll identify the halfway. Some of more challenging runways you can't see the whole length from one end (usually do to slope) so I'll want want to scout such a runway on foot before departure whenever there is any doubt or concern.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Unless it is a shorter runway, which is where most of this discussion is centered.

Warwick Airport

My home at KFUL

Yes, Richard, I get that.  I might have been a bit flippant in my response, but it definitely applies to airports that see high density altitudes and are long enough to be marked in accordance with the conventional standards.

My home airport is very similar to yours (screenshot below).  About 3000’ length, each displaced threshold is about 1000’.  It is very easy to approximate 1/3, 1/2, and 2/3 lengths, just like Paul @kortopates said in his post.  And simple enough to do beforehand with Apple or Google Maps.

BFBCB6B4-CDF9-4D0B-AF30-F035770B063A.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/29/2021 at 9:53 AM, A64Pilot said:

‘Local guy crashed his Ag plane in between two oaks, it stopped immediately. the engine and hopper etc ripped loose and kept going, he unbuckled his harness and stepped out straight forward, everything in front of the seat including the instrument panel was 50 feet ahead.

I saw an accident with a different pattern. A solo student flew a Cherokee into a steel hangar. He hit between two beams and ripped wings clean off. They were laying outside. The fuselage proceeded inside where it missed everything and slid to a stop at the other wall. The engine did not separate. He walked away with bruises.

In the Ag plane it’s likely the hopper that tore the engine mount and engine loose, the hopper when full is about 4,000 lbs and 1/2 of course it’s still 1 Ton, a lot of inertia there.

‘But depending on the airframe the engine is often separated  Spam Can’s like many Cessna’s and Beech Bonanza where the engine mount is built up from aluminum sheets don’t seem to fare as well as one built up from steel tubing, like the Piper and some Cessna’s for instance.