Mooney Down Warwick, NY (N72) 04-28-21

15 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Wow!  How did that wing shear like that?  Looks like it was cleanly cut off.

Just outside the boundary of the fuel tank, too.

In a case like that I think I'd be torn about selecting the trees or just landing in the water, but I can't tell from the pics what the real options were here.

I haven't heard anything more.  But I have seen some pics from different angles.  Looks like s/he ended up right on the edge of a pretty good sized field and came up just a little bit short or his/her intended emergency landing strip.

13 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

@Marauder   Not sure what your map is showing, that's not where the plane went down.  Much further south by Whickham Lake @ N72.

The FlightAware track appears to only be a portion of the flight.

Yeah, I was just pointing out what FlightAware had captured and where that was relative to the airport. The sad part is that the registration for the new owner was filed at the end of March.

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

In a case like that I think I'd be torn about selecting the trees or just landing in the water, but I can't tell from the pics what the real options were here.

There is a small puddle in the pic, but I think it would have taken pretty good aim to land there.  :lol:

• Like 1

Between trees and water, I’ll always go for the water, but I’m real comfortable in the water, if I couldn’t swim, it might be different.

‘Local guy crashed his Ag plane in between two oaks, it stopped immediately. the engine and hopper etc ripped loose and kept going, he unbuckled his harness and stepped out straight forward, everything in front of the seat including the instrument panel was 50 feet ahead.

‘Trees are tough.

‘A retract airplane is much, much better off ditching than a fixed gear, a fixed gear it’s pretty violent, assuming not huge waves, it’s often not for a retract.

Check out that video of the TBM ditching, of course it looked like he was very lightly loaded

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Not to be morbid but I am worrying about the guy and hoping that serious might not be horribly serious.  I am guessing that the NTSB has some chart of injury that drives what categories a crash as having serious injury.  I.e., is broken legs or something serious or does it need to be worse than that.  Here is hoping to this guy isn't so bad and will have a smooth road to full recovery.

@aviatorebI hope for the same.

Serious injury means any injury which: (1) Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date of the injury was received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body surface.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

@aviatorebI hope for the same.

Serious injury means any injury which: (1) Requires hospitalization for more than 48 hours, commencing within 7 days from the date of the injury was received; (2) results in a fracture of any bone (except simple fractures of fingers, toes, or nose); (3) causes severe hemorrhages, nerve, muscle, or tendon damage; (4) involves any internal organ; or (5) involves second- or third-degree burns, or any burns affecting more than 5 percent of the body surface.

Thanks - ok leave it to the govt I knew they would have an explicit definition of serious.  I see serious has some injuries which are less bad.  Hoping he has some less bad injuries and is out and about on to a full recovery soon.

• Like 1