PlanePower Alternator

Need a new alternator and looking at PlanePower. For 69F model which PN do you get? The AL12-70 or AL12-P70? Is there any modification, belts or brackets needed? Or is it a bolt-on replacement? Trying to get this ordered today, if possible and I am finding conflicting information on pn eligibility from both the PP site and spruce. Currently installed is a ALY 6520 that has crapped out on me 2 days before I was going to go out of town. It appears the AL12-70 comes with extra hardware and brackets and the AL12-P70 does not. 

I have had the planepower for 6 years and 600 hours....I keep asking if there is anything I can do for preventive mx so as to not get stuck on the road and everyone says no...you wait for it to break then fix.

Is this true?

What usually breaks on these things and when, what can be changed out now?  Pretend money is no object for this....

how long does an alternator last with no mx?

The part most known for breaking... the field wire...

kind of like the controller to tell the alternator to do its job...

without the wire... there is no power generation...

Looking back in time... the Delco generator had a similar life expectancy...

Except it had brushes that got swapped out half way to eternity...

OHing the generator, gave the opportunity to machine the surface that the brushes wore against... make them round and smooth again...

What killed my generator was the sticks and stones and springs voltage controller... it stuck on and melted the solder out of the generator’s internal connections...

So... having a good VR... will keep the alternator in good health... after that, proper belt tightening will help keep the bearings from wearing pre-maturely...

Not many people have mentioned a dead alternator as being the problem...

It’s possible to wear one out... 

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

So,

Question for you guys that have Plane Power alternator installed in lieu of generator:

What is the modification needed on the front baffle to install it? Is it bigger hole or location of it? Would I need another retainer for a round seal around the hole?

My new engine is heading my way and we will be installing a Plane Power alternator on it, hopefully next weekend. Thank you.

I never said this, but there are a few Automotive electrical shops still in existence, a good one can overhaul an aircraft alternator as most are based on automotive parts, actually simpler as most automobile alternators are internally regulated. One near Ft Rucker Al, you just had to tell him it came off of your tractor :)

‘Anyway an alternator who’s armature was polished and new brushes and bearing installed is as good as new, if you wait until it fails, then of course it’s likely your buying parts other than just the brushes and bearings. I’d have the diode pack replaced too seeing as how your there.

I’m sure not all aircraft alternators parts are available.

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

We just had a Prestolite alternator overhauled “repaired” at Modified in Brooks KY for 279$.  Can’t beat these guys.  They get all my older stuff. 

Edited by jetdriven

A number of years ago I was contemplating replacing my old 50amp Delco generator and long time Mooney guru Paul Lowen told me keep the generator it is more reliable. I have done that and never been stranded in 30 yrs. Just change the brushes occasionally plus get a good solid state regulator like a zeftronics.  It starts charging around 1250 rpm. Never needed an over voltage crowbar circuit to protect my electronics. I am sure the alternators are better now but if it’s not broke why fix it.  Plus I have reduced my amp draw significantly with led and low draw modern electronics.  50 amps is plenty for me.  

• Like 2

Alternators are only slightly better at providing juice at low rpm during taxi...

which can be helpful for long taxi ops prior to an IFR departure...

getting some juice into my electrical system requires enough throttle/MP to be taxiing too quickly, or dragging the brakes...

There are no perfect systems in our planes yet...   :)

Getting closer by the decade...

Best regards,

-a-

Alternators can provide way more power, for way less weight, but they produce AC current, not DC. The AC current they produce is rectified to pulsating DC, so I believe they are “noisier” They also require DC power to work as they have electromagnets, where a Generator has permeant magnets.

‘A whole lot of money can be spent on upgrades with not much advantage being gained, if you don’t need the extra current that an alternator can provide, then why replace it? 

1940’s and newer aircraft had tube radios and 250W landing lights, and worked just fine with generators.

However alternators are supposedly more reliable than generators because of the difference in the rings that the brushes ride on, generator brushes wear faster, but I’d say that if brushes are inspected every xxx hours and a replacement interval determined a generator can last a very, very long time. (I’d do it at 100 hours myself)

‘For whatever it’s worth the majority of at least smaller turbines have generators that also function as starters, and it’s normal to inspect the brushes and determine a replacement interval for them. It’s easily done.

‘I’ve replaced a VW’s brushes at night on the side of the road, generators are simple and therefore easy to maintain.

Swapping out brushes is pretty easy...

The generators are designed to allow for that...

They also get really long brushes that take a decade to wear...

unless the commutator gets some damage... and grinds the brushes down...

Now I have to look up that part name...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric)

:)

Best regards,

-a-