Mooney drivers near Sacramento Ca

Smith813

Hello MooneySpace! I am taking my checkride next week and now am looking for my first airplane. I know I know, a Mooney isn’t the best first plane but it is what I want. I cannot decide if a short body or long body will fit my needs best. I am looking to see if anyone here near Sacramento would mind showing my their plane. I’d love to get to know more local pilots as well being a new pilot. Thanks! Jon 

Jon, I have a mid body, M20J, and am in San Jose (KRHV).  I also bought my Mooney as my first airplane.  Have had it for 26 years now and am so glad I went straight for my forever airplane.  What airport do you fly out of, KSAC?  I could stop by someday to meet up if it works.

3 hours ago, Smith813 said:

Hello MooneySpace! I am taking my checkride next week and now am looking for my first airplane. I know I know, a Mooney isn’t the best first plane but it is what I want. I cannot decide if a short body or long body will fit my needs best. I am looking to see if anyone here near Sacramento would mind showing my their plane. I’d love to get to know more local pilots as well being a new pilot. Thanks! Jon 

Jon, good luck on your check ride! My M20J is my first plane, and I’ve owned it for more than 21 years. I had an instrument rating and 500 hours in rented Cessnas first, though. You will get mixed advice here about whether to get the instrument rating before the Mooney or the Mooney before the instrument rating.  I think if you’re sure you want to buy a plane, you should buy the plane now and get your instrument training in it.

Biggest issue is whether you have flown enough to know what you want or need. Buying a plane isn’t many people’s idea of fun (and I imagine selling one isn’t, either), and there are costs involved in the search (time, travel, pre-buy, transition training, first annual, etc.) that you are unlikely to recoup. Some people on here change planes as often as they change underwear. Others, like 201Mooniac and me, buy a forever plane.

Your interest in Mooneys shows you have good judgment.

If you can’t connect with 201Mooniac, let me know. I’d be happy to fly over from SQL and show you my 1993 J.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smith813 said:

. I know I know, a Mooney isn’t the best first plane but it is what I want. 

Jon,

Let me help you with some logic...

This statement doesn’t make any sense.

They don’t make good primary trainers...

You have been approved to chase down a good Mooney...

Which one... easy question...

If you have the dough to get a mid body... do it.

If you can only scrape up the dough for an M20E... that will work pretty well too...

If you only have enough for an M20C...  you get what you get... there won’t be any regret...

PP thoughts only, did that help?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Jon, I have a mid body, M20J, and am in San Jose (KRHV).  I also bought my Mooney as my first airplane.  Have had it for 26 years now and am so glad I went straight for my forever airplane.  What airport do you fly out of, KSAC?  I could stop by someday to meet up if it works.

I checked out your plane on your page and you literally have everything I dream of in a Mooney. If you head up this way at some point that would be fantastic. As far as the airport, I can meet at any of them in the Sac area. I rent out of KEDU and live near KMCC. I’ll shoot you a PM. Thanks!

54 minutes ago, mech_IFR said:

Hey @Smith813, @201Mooniac!

I'm in a very similar position as Jon. Located near KSAC and evaluating a Mooney as a first airplane. 200hr + instrument ticket.

Any chance I can get in on any possible get together? 201Mooniac, your M20J looks amazing!

-Jim

Jim, 

Happy to meet with you both.  Are you also near KEDU and/or KMCC?  I can fly into either.  Let me check my schedule and we can see when we can work something out.

Adam

1 hour ago, 201Mooniac said:

Jim, 

Happy to meet with you both.  Are you also near KEDU and/or KMCC?  I can fly into either.  Let me check my schedule and we can see when we can work something out.

Adam

Thanks, Adam. I'm close to KMCC, but happy to meet at KEDU if more convenient for you/Jon.

John, when you meet Flash you’re meeting a guy who has really used his Mooney. Not many of us have crossed the Atlantic and he’s done it TWICE! (You have to get back, right?).

On 4/28/2021 at 9:00 AM, RobertGary1 said:

I’m based at mather. I’ve signed privates off  for their checkride in their Mooneys. Not an issue. 

On 4/28/2021 at 10:44 AM, mech_IFR said:

Thanks, Adam. I'm close to KMCC, but happy to meet at KEDU if more convenient for you/Jon.

KMCC is perfect! I live near there and only rent from KEDU.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for responding to an older post and I was hoping to "hijack" the thread for a minute.  I am a new owner to a Mooney M20G and I don't have a mechanic yet.  I have an minor issue would like to have checked by an A&P.  My home airport is KSAC so I was hoping some of the local Mooney Drivers ( @Smith813 @201Mooniac @Jetrn@thinwing @spectre6573 @Joe Larussa @mech_IFR @RobertGary1 @Flash ) could chime in and recommend a few A&Ps that they trust?  I have heard about LASAR and Top Gun just wondered if might be some more options.  Thanks

2 hours ago, Cruiser73 said:

Sorry for responding to an older post and I was hoping to "hijack" the thread for a minute.  I am a new owner to a Mooney M20G and I don't have a mechanic yet.  I have an minor issue would like to have checked by an A&P.  My home airport is KSAC so I was hoping some of the local Mooney Drivers ( @Smith813 @201Mooniac @Jetrn@thinwing @spectre6573 @Joe Larussa @mech_IFR @RobertGary1 @Flash ) could chime in and recommend a few A&Ps that they trust?  I have heard about LASAR and Top Gun just wondered if might be some more options.  Thanks

Lake Aero now is just over at Rancho Murieta. I recommend getting to the point that you’re managing the maintenance yourself but to start a Mooney shop is best. 
It won’t be cheap though. 

23 hours ago, Cruiser73 said:

I've been using Top Gun for the 27 years I've owned my Mooney and have always been happy with them.

• Like 2