Who in their right/wrong mind would pay $30,550 for new BK KI-256

Just now, Mooney in Oz said:

I thought this has to be an error, so I had a look at their website myself and sure enough, there it was.

Not only that the KCS55A is listed as starting from $32,275 USD. :o

It is a bargain, that includes the remote gyro, magnetic compass doohickey and slaving control.  Don’t sell BK sort......

• Like 2

I had a friend who was a pilot for Homeland Security (Customs Service). They weren't allowed to get anything overhauled. they had to buy everything new. He said that it was ridiculous. So those are the customers who will pay that much. Our tax dollars at work.  

• Sad 1

It’s a test...

A test of BK’s new website...

They are getting it ready to sell something...

They don’t actually have this device for sale...

To prevent accidentally selling something they don’t have... and still test the site...

They have put an obviously high price on it... so nobody accidentally buys it like their digital AIs... :)

One of these days... BK is going to come through with some amazing avionics....

Best regards,

-a-

Hmm...   I'd go with typo, but would even consider they were hacked.   Do they even still offer the KI-256 if someone wanted to buy one new?

There are a lot of ways to test websites.  You don't need to make the page public if you don't want to.  Or you can have it on a separate site if you need people to review/test it. 

I have a BK KI256 in great shape - maybe 200 or 250 hrs since overhaul by Brambles, removed for upgrade.

Considering the factory new unit of the same thing is 30k, I think I could be persuaded to let it go for less than that.  Make an offer - seriously.

Also I have a K525 HSI also in good shape removed for upgrade.

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Peter Garmin. Remember him saying they work like a fine Swiss watch? Apparently they have jewel movement and gold lettering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I remember - it is a thing one says. I have said the same thing.  They are like a fine Swiss watch. I own a fine Swiss watch and I love it.  It its an example of a mechanical marvel and it amazes me, and I feel the same way about my KI256.  But my Swiss mechanical autowinder watch by Zenith is not as reliable or accurate as my dramatically cheaper electronic watch that uses a crystal for timing.  In fact my Swiss watch is currently inop and I need to get it into the mail to ship off to a fine watch repair station - and it will cost a lot to fix, and I will keep it and wear it occasionally for special occasions.

I feel the same about my KI256 - I love it - it is so very cool - but I recently upgraded to GI275's since they are just more reliable.  By a lot, and attitude indicators are not jewelry just for show - we rely on them for important function.

I once had occasion to visit the Glashutte "factory" (a very expensive German brand of fine watches - were for 2M Euro they will design and build for you a 1 - off custom watch - factory in quotes since it is a work shop and they build only a handful at a time by highly skilled tradesmen) - they build all the components by hand - all the tiny gears etc and built by hand.  They sit at tall tables with bite plates to steady their eyes and hands and it is painstaking work.  It takes a year to build a watch.  It takes 15 years to transition from apprentice watch maker to master watch maker.

That's what I want for my watch.  Not my attitude indicator.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:36 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I had a friend who was a pilot for Homeland Security (Customs Service). They weren't allowed to get anything overhauled. they had to buy everything new. He said that it was ridiculous. So those are the customers who will pay that much. Our tax dollars at work.  

Our government is stupid.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Yes I remember - it is a thing one says. I have said the same thing.  They are like a fine Swiss watch. I own a fine Swiss watch and I love it.  It its an example of a mechanical marvel and it amazes me, and I feel the same way about my KI256.  But my Swiss mechanical autowinder watch by Zenith is not as reliable or accurate as my dramatically cheaper electronic watch that uses a crystal for timing.  In fact my Swiss watch is currently inop and I need to get it into the mail to ship off to a fine watch repair station - and it will cost a lot to fix, and I will keep it and wear it occasionally for special occasions.

I feel the same about my KI256 - I love it - it is so very cool - but I recently upgraded to GI275's since they are just more reliable.  By a lot, and attitude indicators are not jewelry just for show - we rely on them for important function.

I once had occasion to visit the Glashutte "factory" (a very expensive German brand of fine watches - were for 2M Euro they will design and build for you a 1 - off custom watch - factory in quotes since it is a work shop and they build only a handful at a time by highly skilled tradesmen) - they build all the components by hand - all the tiny gears etc and built by hand.  They sit at tall tables with bite plates to steady their eyes and hands and it is painstaking work.  It takes a year to build a watch.  It takes 15 years to transition from apprentice watch maker to master watch maker.

That's what I want for my watch.  Not my attitude indicator.

We have come a long way...

Peter G was referring to the Swiss watch as an excellent, reliable, piece of machinery...

And the electronic Casio devices were not reliable...

My HSI dropped the ball on me once... it lost its reference outside a class Bravo airport...   there was a few minutes of fear involved...

The Casio devices seem to have covered the initial fears... with years of reliability, and a battery back-up. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1