Advice needed - pre buy & price for a M20M Bravo

DRJP79

Hi,

Going to have a look at a 2004 M20M Bravo with approx. 1100hrs and G1000 non-waas in Switzerland. FIKI & long range fuel. Quite recent overhauled engine. 

- Any recommendations for a pre buy inspection?  

- Asking price is 250 kEUR. Fair of everything is in order? (Know about the non-upgradeable g1000 but I feel this is taken into account in the price.) 

Best regards

Edited by DRJP79
spelling

3 hours ago, DRJP79 said:

Hi,

Going to have a look at a 2004 M20M Bravo with approx. 1100hrs and G1000 non-waas in Switzerland. FIKI & long range fuel. Quite recent overhauled engine. 

- Any recommendations for a pre buy inspection?  

- Asking price is 250 kEUR. Fair of everything is in order? (Know about the non-upgradeable g1000 but I feel this is taken into account in the price.) 

Best regards

Hi, I know the search function on this forum is lousy, but there have a been a few other similar threads that should be way more helpful than me listing a few important things. 

The usual big ticket items are the gear actuator and exhaust system (particularly the turbo transition piece).  Mine isn’t FIKI but you want to run the pumps in the air and on the ground to make sure there aren’t clogged areas.  They are supposed to be exercised fairy frequently even when not needed to keep the system in good shape.  TKS components can get very pricey fast since the system is nearly $70k now installed. Yours is fairly new and with a recent overhaul so hopefully it shouldn’t have any major issues.

Please let us know if you have any questions on repair costs ect once you get out of the pre-buy because I think we’ve seen it all here.

good luck!

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

Btw, do you know why it was overhauled already at 1100 hours?  That's pretty early for a lycoming unless there was a teardown due to prop strike or some other anomaly. 

According to the info I got it was overhauled due to the 12-year-inspection (or maybe I missunderstood this). So maybe its just the 12 y inspection that was done 2 years ago and its not overhauld...

For Mooney service centers...

The Mooney website had at one time.... a list of Mooney Service Centers around the world...

Often, I ask Andrew the European questions...  @Hyett6420 
(In Andrew’s words.... I use Aeroskill Mastenbroek for all my Mooney stuff)

MS has many members throughout Europe... 

PPIs are typically done near where the plane is located...

Go Bravo!

Best regards,

-a-

You probably want be be sure of the VAT status and implications - you might have to import it via an EU country and pay their VAT rate, you might possibly get the Swiss VAT (MWSt) refunded.

G1000 Non WAAS - you can read a lot elsewhere on here, but my understanding is that is it not cheap (or maybe even available?), and without you only have ILS for a 3D approach, and they are going away in favour of LPV....

Gear actuator - make sure it is the model you can get the springs for.

Complete exhaust system - the transition is the really expensive part, but the other bits soon add up, and the welds of the Lycoming parts frequently seem to be a weak point.

Normal Mooney, more so with the LRT option - fill the tanks to the brim and leak check

Turbo - Most Malibu owners I know budget on replacement at 1000 hours. My limited experience suggests that a Bravo may not be that much better. Don K and others may have more/better experience

FIKI - yes, check every panel (consider a couple of gallons of distilled water it you don't want to drip a few hundred dollars of TKS on the floor)

O2 Cylinder replacement date - it's probably coming up or just been done. Not a massive ticket item but requires some lead time/preparation.

It feels a little on the expensive side to me, but then if all the above are not issue, the rest is all good, and the VAT is not going to be crippling, it is certainly in the right ballpark

• Like 2