IO-360 A1A overhaul cost.

13 hours ago, FlyingCanuck said:

I would take those prices with a grain of salt. Trust me. Recent experience. 

But those prices, and factory prices, are the only published lists I know to give a sense of scale when evaluating other shops.   

14 hours ago, Newowner said:

It is a quote from Victors aviation. I guess prices went up.  Everybody saying they doing great job..... but you pay for it I guess. 

Was it a regular overhaul or one of their custom, proprietary options?  I know a former M20C owner who went with a Victor engine and swears by it.

Just now, Marauder said:

Plus you’ll get the roller tappets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like that as well, but I think the recent consensus is that the DLC lifters which can be done at a normal OH also solve the cam issues.

I think I’ll probably do factory when the time comes just because my engine is 6000 hours with about 4 field OHs.  Who knows what parts are original.  Crank? Cam?  Case?  Maybe lots of it?  If you OH to new specs with a good shop, a lot of that stuff might need replaced anyway and put the cost at the factory engine.

I think that by the time you do all the accessories too, you’re close to factory price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

I think that by the time you do all the accessories too, you’re close to factory price.

I absolutely agree with you. If i knew what I know now about my ex engine (5700.0h TT) I would go with factory reman. It is $5k more expensive then OH I wanted but i was old my engine was to old for OH, only exchange for reman or new was possible.  

regards

9 hours ago, Bolter said:

But those prices, and factory prices, are the only published lists I know to give a sense of scale when evaluating other shops.   

In a public forum, all I will say is this: the website clearly says those are 2020 prices. Call them and ask for their 2021 price list. I guess it was an inflationary year.... PM for more. 

1 hour ago, Igor_U said:

I absolutely agree with you. If i knew what I know now about my ex engine (5700.0h TT) I would go with factory reman. It is $5k more expensive then OH I wanted but i was old my engine was to old for OH, only exchange for reman or new was possible.  

regards

Echo all the above. Even the options that seem like “good deals” quickly add up if you do your homework and get the right things addressed. My first calculation using shop-provided info was $20-24k for o/h based on my shop’s published information and phone calls to them; by the time I got a quote for what everyone on MooneySpace told me was prudent to do (and I agree with!!), I was over $35k plus R&R - funny enough, that was after they had my engine.

At almost $40k, I decided to hit the pause button and re-assess my options. At the very least, if not factory reman or new, I would go with a shop that carries a strong upside on resale value (ie Penn Yan) - what little extra you pay, you’ll probably save in transparent workmanship and pricing, and market value on the name brand work on your engine. 

On 4/27/2021 at 12:57 AM, Bolter said:

For referencing cost of the overhaul itself, check https://www.jewellaviation.com/overhauls.htm for a price list.  @gsxrpilot can confirm if this is the right link.  There is Jewell Aviation and John Jewell Aircraft, and I forget which is the one who just did his engine.  

Where West Coast are you?  Which model Mooney?  I know an A&P/IA at KWHP who has done a few engine swaps in Mooney's (including conversion from dual mags to single mags if that applies to you) and aside from being experienced, probably competitive on the labor cost you were quoted.  

-dan

yes 14,200$ but thats an "overhaul" no accessories.  which isnt reallty an overhaul.   When you ask for a new cam, lifters, and cylinders, its more than a factory motor.  

• Like 1

In 2019 I paid $28,500 for a Lycoming remanufactured O-360-A1D (after credit for sending them the old engine), plus shipping which was $600 as I recall.  I believe the difference betweens the A1A versus the A1D is that the latter has newer designs for the magneto and the pushrods.

And since I was springing for a 0-time engine, bit the bullet for $3k for exhaust system overhaul, $1.5k for engine mount overhaul, and $1k for oil cooler overhaul and some parts, and $2.5k to replace a prop governor that was past the end of its service life.

• Like 1

yes 14,200$ but thats an "overhaul" no accessories.  which isnt reallty an overhaul.   When you ask for a new cam, lifters, and cylinders, its more than a factory motor.  

The devil is in the details.
Don’t forget about shipping and taxes if applicable as well.
The shop I used is only 100 miles away, they picked it up and delivered it at no extra cost....and Florida has no sales taxes on aircraft maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in SOCAL.  Had my IO-360 overhauled at Corona Aircraft Engines.  Have about 100 hours on it now.  The cost was reasonable, I could drop by and check progress, and I'm pleased with the result.  I would do business with them again. 

• 4 weeks later...

My field overhaul is almost done.  I’ve paid for everything except the shop labor bill.  The tally is up to about $10.5 K.  I expect the labor to be $6000 to $8000 if the engine bill for my other plane earlier in the year is any indication.