IO-360 A1A overhaul cost.

2 hours ago, Newowner said:

Did anyone do engine overhaul lately. Got quoted today 41000 plus 5000 for engine swap. I’m on west coast. It’s a good reputation engine shop. Is it normal price?  

For referencing cost of the overhaul itself, check https://www.jewellaviation.com/overhauls.htm for a price list.  @gsxrpilot can confirm if this is the right link.  There is Jewell Aviation and John Jewell Aircraft, and I forget which is the one who just did his engine.  

Where West Coast are you?  Which model Mooney?  I know an A&P/IA at KWHP who has done a few engine swaps in Mooney's (including conversion from dual mags to single mags if that applies to you) and aside from being experienced, probably competitive on the labor cost you were quoted.  

-dan

• Like 1

Unless that’s a Kenny Tunnel race engine that’s really high. I overhauled mine for something in the high teens . But it took me 7 months and lots of patience. Most engine shops have a back log of 3-4 months. Lycon does flawless work. Highly recommend. 
Thats probably a worse case quote. I’d rather see it as time and materials. The only thing that was salvageable on mine was the crank, a rod, accessory case, and sump. Everything else was trashed. 
also on the west coast.
-Matt

September 2020, Penn Yan Aero did my O360-A1D so not as complicated perhaps as your engine, to new specs, new cam and crank, new mags, starter, alternator, fuel pump and cylinders, a little north of $24K with three year warranty.  By the time I did the engine, new oil cooler, overhauled governor, engine mount inspections, bought new top prop and paid A&P to remove and re-install, I didn't have as much in total cost as you're being quoted for just the engine overhaul.  I know pricing as gone up a bit lately, maybe a west coast thing, but that seems high.  Due to yours being an IO, if I was looking today, I would anticipate a good number to be a little under $30k, but that should include plugs and accessories.   What's nice is if some of your accessories, like fuel pump or alternator are fairly new, keep them and you have potential spare for the future.  

Be advised, I am not an A&P and still a fairly new Mooney owner, so my input is worth perhaps nothing, your mileage may vary.

7 hours ago, Bolter said:

For referencing cost of the overhaul itself, check https://www.jewellaviation.com/overhauls.htm for a price list.  @gsxrpilot can confirm if this is the right link.  There is Jewell Aviation and John Jewell Aircraft, and I forget which is the one who just did his engine.  

Where West Coast are you?  Which model Mooney?  I know an A&P/IA at KWHP who has done a few engine swaps in Mooney's (including conversion from dual mags to single mags if that applies to you) and aside from being experienced, probably competitive on the labor cost you were quoted.  

-dan

Yes, that's the link for Jewell Aviation who did my overhaul. The final price was very much inline with that price list.

• Like 2

About a year ago a IO-360-A2B (I was getting a quote for an Arrow 200) was about 26.5K from pennyan, my A&P IA quoted 12 hours from start to finish to do the swap. 6 to pull the engine off and 6 to put it back on. Plus about 1K for consumables (engine mounts, hoses, new wires if needed) and 300 for a dynamic balance. All in I was looking at 28,940 from start to finish.

You might not get as good of a deal but 46K is not realistic.   

• Thanks 1

Field OH about 22AMUs but that was with a new crank at 5AMUs :o.  I'm in the process of removing and installing now.

The good thing about the field OH was being there while the wrenches were being turned, assisting with AD research and dealing with shipping parts to the appropriate shops.  I am a hands on person.

Almost certain that your going to ship, so I’d not worry about engine shop location.

‘This is who did my engine and they are well respected on this side of the world and I believe things are less expensive over here. I believe all of his overhauls are to new tolerances and balanced to very low levels.

If your engine hasn’t been run to nothing, your looking at a little more than 25K?

https://www.gannaviation.com/engine-overhauls

Looking at the bright side, if you had a (D) engine, that’s over 2K more.

I hope you like red powder coat :)

On edit, ship ALL of your old hoses too and they will make new ones for less than anywhere else most likely.

Edited by A64Pilot

14 hours ago, Newowner said:

Did anyone do engine overhaul lately. Got quoted today 41000 plus 5000 for engine swap. I’m on west coast. It’s a good reputation engine shop. Is it normal price?  

Sounds expensive!

I paid $35k for factory reman and OH would be $5k less, however my engine would not qualify for factory OH being older then 35 years or so. You should be able to find a better price. As for Jewell, I considered them but no accessories are included in their price (which makes it not that good at all) plus they wouldn't test run with my IA  and myself didn't like. I liked the quote from Pro Aero aviation in Kamloops BC and I know they do a great work (couple of my friends used them). 

Be aware that shops are waiting for parts from Lycoming and the lead time would be 15-16 weeks or more. Factory would do it sooner... My engine just shipped this morning and was ordered mid to end January.

Good luck.

Mine was done through Triad Aviation in NC last year.  It was $29,375 for the overhaul.  We also did a bunch of other stuff at the same time, cables, governor, lights, engine monitor, etc at the same time and all that labor in that block was around $9500 including the engine R&R.  It took almost 6 months right at the beginning of the pandemic.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:19 PM, Newowner said:

The numbers may not be as bad as you think.  What’s all included?  Bargain basement prices I see here don’t always include everything that is involved.

Things to consider, new Lord mounts, new bolts, overhauled engine mount, new hoses, overhauled oil cooler, new or overhauled alternator, repairing broken baffles, new baffle sealing tapes, the list can go on and on.

Clarence

Damn that's high.  They must have looked at it and said I need to pay for a week vacation in Hawaii.  So it's going to be 41,000.  You know I have to pay for that 700 per day rental car in Hawaii.  

Try Corona aircraft engines at Corona airport they are very fair.   

Newowner...

You have kinda left a few loose ends...

1) There is no unique standard for getting an engine OH’d...

2) There are standards for what can be called an OH...

3) Most people want more than the bare minimum....

4) Surely, the quoted amount is far from the bare minimum...

5) What else was included?

6) What was left out?

I can’t tell what you were asking for...

So I sure can’t tell what you got quoted...

If you are refreshing the whole fire Wall forward... with a turnkey solution... that would be expensive...

If you are working with your mechanic... and crated up your engine... looking specifically to send it to a shop do the actual OH...  that would be a much lower cost...

Do you know what you are asking for?

Is your goal... lowest cost?

Is your goal... a complete turn key solution?

Does your engine have relatively new parts like a starter, alternator, mags, and a govenor?

Did your quote mention anything about new engine controls?

Is you engine mount getting shipped out for inspection and painting?

Have you seen the cost of the rubber donuts?

Sounds like you may not have been overly specific when you asked for a quote...  

If you were...something got lost by the time you started writing here...

Did that quote include new cylinders?

Its never too late to add the details... :)

Best regards,

-a-

The numbers may not be as bad as you think.  What’s all included?  Bargain basement prices I see here don’t always include everything that is involved.
Things to consider, new Lord mounts, new bolts, overhauled engine mount, new hoses, overhauled oil cooler, new or overhauled alternator, repairing broken baffles, new baffle sealing tapes, the list can on and on.
Clarence

I did all that plus new control cables and overhauled the prop for A3B6 engine for less. I did help by stripping and repaint the engine mount and R/R control cables, etc.
But it is California.

5 minutes ago, Newowner said:

It is a very good engine shop with good reputation but WOW!!!  I got to really pay for it. And yes .... I had to ship them engine and get it back in 4-6 weeks they said. Nothing is included just engine rebuilt with mags and fuel injection system. 

it is tradition around here to at least get two quotes...

Do your best to ask for the same thing, the same way... from both shops...

Jewell has won a lot of business this way...

Shipping and insurance costs extra... we have seen thing go wrong during shipping...

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, Bolter said:

-dan

I would take those prices with a grain of salt. Trust me. Recent experience. 

• Like 1

I know that Victor has a good reputation and that also was taken account 16y ago when I bought my ‘67F as it had their engine with less than 100h SMOH. However, I am of a different opinion now, that the old engine was open for inspection and number of things were found out that led to getting Factory reman. Case had a bearing shuffle, for example, and they installed the narrow deck cam to a Wide deck engine. This also came with the Narrow deck accessory case so for proper OH, all that would need to be replaced.

I agree, their prices are quite high, and I am certain you can find a better prices from other shops or factory.

Good luck.