New Governor or Overhaul?

Hi!

Unfortunately a worn cam lobe has triggered an overhaul of my 47 year old engine (IO360A1A 1800hrs, 21 years since oh) on my 1967 M20F. I have a Hartzell D1-6 governor driving a 3 blade Hartzell, last o/h at the same time as the engine. Shall I buy the PCU5000 or overhaul my D1-6 ?

OK there are a few threads on this already. My quick take on what I've read so far: the PCU is great and some older governors sometimes end up costing more to overhaul (eg Garwin). However the Hartzell ones are pretty simple and mine has been working OK. Also, it seems the PCU has a 7 year overhaul recommended timespan from a quick look at their docs (I am based in Europe and they tend to impose recommendations as requirements). Looks like the PCU costs double than a standard o/h on mine (factoring shipping and taxes to Europe), so what I will do is get a firm quote for oh on mine, and if nothing more is required, go down that route. If it ends up needing more stuff done, perhaps PCU. I have a bit of time as the engine now has to go for overhaul. 

Any further comments welcome!

Nice to see you again Podair!

Most people review what they have, see what it costs to OH... then buy the PCU...

Have a look at one, it looks like it was built this century...

Compare to the one you have... which probably looks like a casting from the 1950s... :)

Makes the decision a small bit easier...

Best regards,

-a-