WTB: Brittain solenoid valve 4085-2C

As a title says, I am looking for the Brittain solenoid valve 4085-2C. Clarence recently sold one so maybe someone else has one is stock.

I have a set of modern control wheels with shaft that can be installed in classic Mooney and with the solenoid, I could install them in my 67 F.

Please PM if you have one otherwise might have to sell the control wheels.

1 minute ago, Igor_U said:

As a title says, I am looking for the Brittain solenoid valve 4085-2C. Clarence recently sold one so maybe someone else has one is stock.

I have a set of modern control wheels with shaft that can be installed in classic Mooney and with the solenoid, I could install them in my 67 F.

Please PM if you have one otherwise might have to sell the control wheels.

Igor,

catch up with @sdflysurf...

I think you may be on the same team...

Best regards,

-a-

9187CD43-D3DD-43D9-AE0A-3B4C2BEB768C.png

I bought this 12v solenoid:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084YTNG2P/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WMZEGKJNMZ2GV862G2CJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And these connectors (2 in the pack of 1/4" NPT to 1/4" hose barbs):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NB6VZF7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_N8SWVVKG4R9V2X6WJ046?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1I

I just received them today and I am going to wire it up to a switch for "wing leveler on" and "wing leveler off" - I'll check it out and report back - but the connectors fit nicely with the 1/4" inside diameter vacuum line I have.

(And now I can use a PTT button built into my yoke!)

I bought something similar and tested it; it works but my IA wouldn't be comfortable signing it as it's not approved part. 

18 hours ago, sdflysurf said:

13 hours ago, Igor_U said:

I bought something similar and tested it; it works but my IA wouldn't be comfortable signing it as it's not approved part. 

I think this is a very controversial subject - but when I was looking for this fix I could not find a GOOD used replacement of the same part, nor could I find a NEW TSO part that was meant for this, so according to the A&P it will be a signoff for 14 CFR 21.93 Minor alteration.

Talk with your A&P.  Maybe you can convince him that when dealing with 1960s planes there needs to be some flexibility! :)

Someone else can chime in since I am not the expert - but in all of my reading regarding part 91 operator minor alterations - I didn't need my IA to sign off - just an A&P logbook entry.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:34 AM, sdflysurf said:

I bought this 12v solenoid:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084YTNG2P/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WMZEGKJNMZ2GV862G2CJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And these connectors (2 in the pack of 1/4" NPT to 1/4" hose barbs):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NB6VZF7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_N8SWVVKG4R9V2X6WJ046?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1I

I just received them today and I am going to wire it up to a switch for "wing leveler on" and "wing leveler off" - I'll check it out and report back - but the connectors fit nicely with the 1/4" inside diameter vacuum line I have.

(And now I can use a PTT button built into my yoke!)

wow isn't this the definition of owner produced part ?  Wonder if i could use one to enable/disable the wing leveler thru a switch instead of the yoke button

12 minutes ago, McMooney said:

wow isn't this the definition of owner produced part ?  Wonder if i could use one to enable/disable the wing leveler thru a switch instead of the yoke button

Not really, An owner produced part would be building a Brittain valve from scratch as close to the original design as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Hi 

Thinking again about it, if I were you and if I couldn't find the original brittain valve, then instead of plumbing and wiring a solenoid that comes with updating your breaker drawing and maybe upping your breaker, all the heat issues etc etc, I would double up the already existing pneumatic bypass valve that's on the yoke with something like this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/pneumatic-valves/single-action-air-directional-control-valves-9/

Dude,

That opens a bunch of interesting ideas...

People like the panel mounted switches a bit more than the yoke mounted ones...

Mostly because the PTT switch that inhabits the same hole, has priority...

Panel mounting a modern vac switch could make a great alternative...

Of course... great ideas need to be approved for install by somebody like your mechanic..?

Extra benefit...  easy to label the vac switch and on/off status...

Industrial machinery has been using pressure/vac systems continuously... we don’t seem them often in consumer areas...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/9/2021 at 9:38 AM, FlyingDude said:

Hi 

Thinking again about it, if I were you and if I couldn't find the original brittain valve, then instead of plumbing and wiring a solenoid that comes with updating your breaker drawing and maybe upping your breaker, all the heat issues etc etc, I would double up the already existing pneumatic bypass valve that's on the yoke with something like this:

https://www.mcmaster.com/pneumatic-valves/single-action-air-directional-control-valves-9/

Thanks for the link but while my IA normally has no issues with me working on a plane (just installed LHS panel with G5 and audio panel), installing non-approved parts is something he's not comfortable with. I already discussed that with him some time ago when testing automotive solenoid for function.

Purchased part can't be qualified as owner produced part so I'm in a search for a Brittain solenoid, at least for now.

I actually have no issue of having switch on a control wheel for temporary disengagement of PC; I pretty much have it on all the time except when maneuvering but having addition on/off switch on a panel might be useful IFR training (under the hood flying) or BFR.

Regards,

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, FlyingDude said:

There's already an air-driven disengage switch with a hose going into the yoke. 

I would like to install 201 Style control Wheels with electric switch to control the PC system. I can't install the pneumatic Valve (PC "switch")  on new style control wheels

• Like 1