Gear warning sound on takeoff

Very rare I get a gear warning sound when I retract gear after takeoff (electric, Dukes). Tower says all 3 wheels up and “unsafe” light is illuminated. Did anyone had a similar issue and is this a safety concern? Also jokes about Johnson bar are always welcome

Edited by lithium366

A gear warning typically takes two sensors to be open at the same time...

Your system thinks the gear is up and the throttle is out at the same time...

Since you have raised the gear... one makes sense...

Might want to check on the throttle position sensor...

As far as a safety issue goes...  you want the sensor system working properly so it gives you the right warning at the right time...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have had this happen.  First, I concentrated on flying the airplane carefully as it was close to the ground, heavy, right after initial takeoff with family on long trip.  Then I located the gear warning cb and pulled it.  Ahhh, silence....

At altitude, I pulled throttle slowly to idle (through the micro switch that causes the horn) and back to full power.  Then I pushed in the cb.  That worked for me.  After the trip, I hit the switch with some LPS1 just for good measure.

Likely some issue with the switch on your throttle.  It’s right behind the panel on the throttle cable.

Edited by Ragsf15e

I've had the a buzzer chirp intermittently on takeoff if the winds are gusty. Just lower the nose a bit below Vx for speed, then pitch for climb.

A solid horn means check and test on the ground, cleaning & luring as needed, with replacement if that fails. 

12 minutes ago, Hank said:

I've had the a buzzer chirp intermittently on takeoff if the winds are gusty. Just lower the nose a bit below Vx for speed, then pitch for climb.

A solid horn means check and test on the ground, cleaning & luring as needed, with replacement if that fails. 

Hank, are you talking about the stall warning?  He’s talking about the gear warning.  With full power it shouldn’t chirp or anything.  The micro switch on the throttle is supposed to cut it off above about 13” manifold pressure.  Additionally, it shouldn’t be going off with the gear down.  Those are the two things required to make the gear warning sound - gear up and low mp.  If it’s going off on takeoff, and your gear limit switches are working, the throttle switch is a likely place to look.

Confirmation bias...?

expecting that was a gear alarm because the flight is going smashingly well...

Not realizing... that may have been a stall horn chirp on a bumpy ride to altitude... :)

To prove one way or the other check the operation of the various switches...

If everything is in place as expected...

Review the procedure and the flight, and weather of the day...

Was it bumpy?

Was it a Vx departure?

Or any vertical movement of air due to parking lots or buildings..?

Fun things to think about, I’m not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

@Ragsf15e and @lithium366, I did have extended gear horns during cold weather. Sometimes it would last 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes. 

Turned out that my landing gear pucks were old and hard. They were upside down, I thought the date molded into them was "09/96" but it was actually "06/69". Changed out all 11 of them the next annual (in December in WV) and haven't had a problem since. Other than the occasional chirp climbing out in gusty winds or turbulence. It's been 8 or 9 years now.

Yeah it’s not chirp it’s a continuous sound only when gear is up. When I heard this for the first time - I extended gear and warning sound disappeared. Only happened twice in the last 2 years. Will look into a throttle switch. Any pictures where it is located?

29 minutes ago, lithium366 said:

Yeah it’s not chirp it’s a continuous sound only when gear is up. When I heard this for the first time - I extended gear and warning sound disappeared. Only happened twice in the last 2 years. Will look into a throttle switch. Any pictures where it is located?

right on the rod connected to the control knob, behind the panel...

Be on the lookout for a dent that a sensor wheel goes in and out of...

There are a few good posts around here with pics... the sensor location is adjustable. 

So the exact MP to turn it on and off can be selected...

PP thoughts only...

-a-

1 hour ago, lithium366 said:

Yes, when the gear is down, it’s inhibited.  With gear up, it’s controlled by throttle position.  Easiest way to troubleshoot is with the airplane on jacks.  Put up the gear with the throttle pulled back towards idle will/should engage the switch and activate the horn.  As Carusam said, there’s a little divet on the throttle that hits the switch right after the throttle cable goes through the panel.  It’s adjustable.  Also, find the 5amp gear warning cb because that sound is really annoying right after takeoff.

• Like 1

Sounds like the throttle micro switch is either out of alignment or perhaps a broken wire going to switch. Maybe somewhere along gear/throttle micro switch logic circuit. I had hear of a similar event  on a C  model with a manual gear. since it happen during take off and the pilot was busy they reached over  pulled the  gear warn CB and  the horn s stopped the continuous horn. They landed soon after readjusted the throttle micro switch all is good now. It is a pita getting a clean shot for adjustment. I can't say the how the electric gear Mooney's are  wired but can't imagine they are too much different.