New to us 68G

Wow Vil!

Fancy that!

Looks like you got last year’s model of the M20G! :)

Getting a proper POH... with all the adenda, is going to take some focus.

Start with your Local MSC...

If you don’t have an L-MSC... one can be assigned for you...

Be on the lookout for the owners manual/POH to match your actual model year... (for legal paperwork reasons... Arow documents)

Pick up the most recent POH for the M20G ever produced... probably 1977...  the most complete performance data that applies to all Model G Mooneys...

The Mooney Factory can be very helpful to get all this together for you... the price is minimal compared to the value.

Updating your POH with all the sub-system data for radios and nav equipment is the next step... each modern device has a brief update that gets stored in modern POHs...

PP thoughts not a mechanic or CFI...

Enjoy!

:)

Gone Mooney!

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

Pick up the most recent POH for the M20G ever produced... probably 1977

BEAUTIFUL G model!

I believe the 'G was only produced in 67 and 68, so I doubt there would be a POH from 1977...  Maybe I'm wrong on the years, but wouldn't the newest POH be from the last year it was produced?

There won't be a "POH," that's modern terminology. Back in the day, airplanes and cars both came with Owners Manuals. Look in the Download section, just be aware that the supply of Gs is small and an owner may not have added one to our collection. 

10 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

BEAUTIFUL G model!

I believe the 'G was only produced in 67 and 68, so I doubt there would be a POH from 1977...  Maybe I'm wrong on the years, but wouldn't the newest POH be from the last year it was produced?

Bummer...

I used my M20C knowledge and improperly applied it to the M20G...  but wait, there’s more...

I got my knowledge from this guy named Bill Wheat at the factory....

Unfortunately, Bill is unable to answer the phone....

But, they have this guy Kevin K...  who might be able to give current insight to this challenge....

Could be a stretch... or an opportunity...  to pull a fast one over the finance administrator....

Pick up an IO360... and use the POH of the 1977 M20F....   :)

The 1977 POHs have a bunch of updated procedures about 70 more pages then the original owners manuals have... check the download section around here for ideas...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

The 1977 POHs have a bunch of updated procedures about 70 more pages then the original owners manuals have... check the download section around here for ideas...

I'd suggest using a combination of the 1977 M20F and 1977 M20C POHs for assistance here.  I'm working without having compared them, but I would expect that one could apply the Carb things from the M20C and perhaps some of the speeds, while at the same time learning things about the long body from the 'F model POH.  It would be a good exercise, at least.

I'd love a G model with manual gear...  maybe some 201 mods...

• Like 1

It’s got all the 201 mods except the single piece belly, and brake stc.  I’ll have the brakes swapped at the next annual.  Besides being legal and having one in the plane, I’m just looking for perf  numbers.  As opposed to me just cursing around at 21/24 and leaning to 8.6-9.6 gph.

All the air speeds are pre-programmed in the G500 so they automatically pop up on the speed tape.

It could be faster, but the price was right and the avionics were better than what I use at work, so I guess I just had to settle on the small motor.

Maybe we can discuss a stc motor in 1500 hrs???

Same with CHT and EGT.  I’m just keeping my highest cht sub-380, but have no idea where my EGT’s should be.

STC for the IO360 is available through Lasar...  not very expensive... compared to getting the IO360 itself...

The whole value of getting the most updated POH for your plane is to get performance numbers you can count on, and procedures you can follow...

A POH for a modern Mooney is about 300 pages of useful data...

The old owners manuals are about 30 pages including the fluff about how you made a great decision of buying this awesome aircraft...   :)

Some of the interesting stuff you can update based on your experience... if you have the basic charts to work from...

Anything related to full power... the M20F data may not apply very well...

But when it comes to stall speeds and bank angles... the F data won’t be too far off...

M20F take off data won’t be too helpful for a G pilot...  but it would give great insight on how OAT really messes with the T/O distance...

Ask the factory for a recommendation... Often, the books are on the shelf and want to get sold...

PP thoughts only...

-a- 

I made a post a couple months back about getting some info from Kevin Kammers, Director of Customer Service at Mooney. The search button is your friend.   I am pretty sure Kevin could help you with the Operators Manual.  Anthony posted two pictures, the blue cover POH and open to the first page it says Operator Manual.  That is exactly what I have.  1977 might be the last OM update for the older Mooneys.  I think in 1977 Mooney changed to the POH format.

Beautiful airplane.  Saw it advertised.  Post a picture of your custom yokes, never seen anything like them before.

Just play with the performance charts and see how it does. You have the same engine as my C. I fly by the charts, and put EGT temps based on where it peaks. You may be able to fly LOP if the doghouse and carb heat seal off well. If they don't, you won't. 

After a couple of years, I've settled on three basic power settings:

<3500 or so, 23/2300

4000-7000 or so, 22/2300

>7500, WOT- /2500

For WOT-, after climbing at WOT/2700, level off and accelerate, then pull back the throttle just enough to make the MP needle wiggle (around 10,000 this may be 1/3 stroke). Then reduce prop and lean to peak before richening to your favorite setting. 

Leaving the throttle open and leaning will achieve the same fuel flow, but reducing the throttle creates (hopefully!) turbulence in the carb for better fuel atomization and more uniform distribution. Does it? I can't prove it. Fly both ways and see what works, and report your fuel usage and speed for both. Please? :D

Your G will have different loading and speeds than my C, but the engine should work the same well.

Welcome aboard and happy flying!!

• Like 2