Both wing strobes suddenly no longer work

I always check the lights during preflight and one day last week, no strobes.  The day before, they were fine.  I got a chance to look at this today and the voltage coming out of the Klixon breaker is > 12V, and the power reaching each of the Hoskins strobe PSs in the wings is > 12V. 

The B+ wire for the right-hand strobe measures around +500V DC and the B+ wire for the left-hand strobe is about +470V DC.  Nothing on the Trig lines going to either strobe tube, and nothing on the SYNC line coming into either PS.  GND is good at PS inputs and at strobe molexes.

No tail strobe light on this plane, but the strobe PS is in the tail cone.  Didn't measure anything at it but nothing looks amiss looking from the vicinity of the battery.

Is it possible that *both* of my strobe tubes died at the same time?  Or does one dead tube inhibit the other PS via the SYNC line? 

Cliff

Pic of a PS in the wing (both are same):

image.thumb.png.2c8fe82b2b8762257ef98d995a61a1be.png

@FlyBoyM20J Cliff, if you're looking to go to LED I have the Orion 650E for $479.99 a side (Spruce sells them for $526 a side. Generally you can repurpose your existing wiring but I don't believe there is much support for the old Hoskins units, at least that is my impression.  Give me a should if you are interested in this.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html ← My website
1-833-425-5288 ← Call me
gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com ← Email me

650EC_720x.png.89c1625eaf2d9dd580558f2915993187.png

c070ed2d3ede999e2ee1c93956b75d8f.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 8:21 AM, OSUAV8TER said:

@FlyBoyM20J Cliff, if you're looking to go to LED I have the Orion 650E for $479.99 a side (Spruce sells them for $526 a side. Generally you can repurpose your existing wiring but I don't believe there is much support for the old Hoskins units, at least that is my impression.  Give me a should if you are interested in this.

https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html ← My website
1-833-425-5288 ← Call me
gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com ← Email me

This looks perfect!  I have the same wing tip extensions/fairings...Will check website, but I'm assuming that the way to wire these LEDs would be to bypass the Hoskins units in the wings...would be nice to remove them but they don't seem to cause much of a problem.

Cliff

On 4/27/2021 at 12:20 AM, mooney2201 said:

I may have the Hoskins controllers..

I switched to led strobes

And yes one bad strobe will knock out the other..

Give me a phone number and I will call you tomorrow and let you know that I have all the parts you need

Thank you!  I am away from my plane for a few days...back at it next week, and if I decide to stay with Xenon tubes and Hoskins, I'd be grateful for a working Hoskins unit.

I'll dm you my phone number at that point...don't want to make you dig through your parts unless I'm going that route.

Cliff

4 hours ago, FlyBoyM20J said:

This looks perfect!  I have the same wing tip extensions/fairings...Will check website, but I'm assuming that the way to wire these LEDs would be to bypass the Hoskins units in the wings...would be nice to remove them but they don't seem to cause much of a problem.

Cliff

@FlyBoyM20J everything Hoskins gets removed. The old lights and the strobe power supplies are removed for installation. You can repurpose your existing wiring and the Orion 650E power is self contained. Hook up the right wiring and they work. Again, the strobe power supplies have to be removed. If you have a 14V electrical system the model numbers are OR6501RE and OR6501GE and if you have a 28V electrical system the model numbers are OR6502RE and OR6502GE. They are $479.99 a side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OSUAV8TER said:

@FlyBoyM20J everything Hoskins gets removed. The old lights and the strobe power supplies are removed for installation. You can repurpose your existing wiring and the Orion 650E power is self contained. Hook up the right wiring and they work. Again, the strobe power supplies have to be removed. If you have a 14V electrical system the model numbers are OR6501RE and OR6501GE and if you have a 28V electrical system the model numbers are OR6502RE and OR6502GE. They are $479.99 a side.

This sounds perfect...is the STC included?

Cliff

5 minutes ago, FlyBoyM20J said:

This sounds perfect...is the STC included?

Cliff

@FlyBoyM20J these are not STC approved for the M20J but the pathway to installation is a minor alteration with a logbook entry. The lights are FAA TSO approved as an anti-collision and night position light system. Most lighting companies are moving way from STCs, getting them TSO approved, and are having customers install them as a minor alteration. Your A&P has to sign off on this.

• Like 1