Garmin GMX-200 MFD Data Card.

Comstar

New owner of N2231X a M20M Bravo and loving it!

We have a Garmin data card in our GMX-200 that is only 500 MB. Garmin gave us free SafeTaxi and FliteCharts for the GMX-200 at Sun N Fun and the files are almost 1 GB rendering the existing "chip" invalid. We purchased a new 2GB SD card and downloaded the charts from flyGarmin to it (or so it said) and inserted the card but it was a blank screen. 

I have taken the old card and loaded it onto the new card and going to insert that into the unit tonight. My quesiton is, does anyone know how to prep a new SD card for use inside the GMX-200? Also, what's the largest card it will support if you know?

It's been too long since I had a GMX-200 but there is a definite limit in size (the OS is based on Windows NT) plus I recall there may be unlock codes on the original card you need for features like weather and charts.
I suggest you call Garmin tech support to get details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, McMooney said:

I use a 1Gb Card in my gns480.

There is one thing, you can't use SanDisk cards,  no idea why but they aren't compatible.  

here's what i use : Amazon.com: 1GB CompactFlash Memory Card (CF) use for Camera: Computers & Accessories

Thanks McMooney but the GMX-200 doesn't use CompactFlash but Memory Cards. Different connections on the cards. :-)

5 hours ago, Comstar said:

Thanks McMooney but the GMX-200 doesn't use CompactFlash but Memory Cards. Different connections on the cards. :-)

ahh, sorry was thinking mx20,  I'd still try a non Sandisk 2 GB SD Card.  Sandisk does something strange with their cards keeping them from working in a lot of equip.

the activation card from Garmin is 2GB.  did garmin supply instructions for activation ?

Edited by McMooney

On 4/23/2021 at 1:59 PM, McMooney said:

ahh, sorry was thinking mx20,  I'd still try a non Sandisk 2 GB SD Card.  Sandisk does something strange with their cards keeping them from working in a lot of equip.

the activation card from Garmin is 2GB.  did garmin supply instructions for activation ?

Garmin doesn't sell the card anymore. They say Jeppesen sells it. Jeppesen says they don't sell the card either. So I'm trying to find someone with the card to make a copy of the contents and I'll provide a drop box for them to upload the data. Otherwise, I'm stuck.

6 minutes ago, Comstar said:

Garmin doesn't sell the card anymore. They say Jeppesen sells it. Jeppesen says they don't sell the card either. So I'm trying to find someone with the card to make a copy of the contents and I'll provide a drop box for them to upload the data. Otherwise, I'm stuck.

What did Garmin give you? good chance we could make something work.

3 hours ago, McMooney said:

What did Garmin give you? good chance we could make something work.

Garmin didn't give me anything other than subscriptions to SafeTaix and FliteCharts. So subscription done. The card I have that came in the unit is a 512MB SD Card. The card needed for the activation of SafeTaxi and FliteCharts is 2GB. Garmin confirmed that part number even though they don't sell it anymore. I just need someone who has that card to image it and send me a copy of the image and then I can download my subscriptions to that. How frustrating...

32 minutes ago, Comstar said:

Garmin didn't give me anything other than subscriptions to SafeTaix and FliteCharts. So subscription done. The card I have that came in the unit is a 512MB SD Card. The card needed for the activation of SafeTaxi and FliteCharts is 2GB. Garmin confirmed that part number even though they don't sell it anymore. I just need someone who has that card to image it and send me a copy of the image and then I can download my subscriptions to that. How frustrating...

Years ago when I owned the MX-20 and then the GMX-200 before my GTN's, I tried all kinds of disk & sector copy methods all without success - of course this is by their design. 

The Jepp software for loading charts back then allowed for filtering a subset of charts of areas you wanted when you couldn't fit them all on the card. If you can't figure out how to get a working larger card, perhaps the subset functionality might help get the charts you could use. 

51 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Years ago when I owned the MX-20 and then the GMX-200 before my GTN's, I tried all kinds of disk & sector copy methods all without success - of course this is by their design. 

The Jepp software for loading charts back then allowed for filtering a subset of charts of areas you wanted when you couldn't fit them all on the card. If you can't figure out how to get a working larger card, perhaps the subset functionality might help get the charts you could use. 

Thanks kortopates. Interesting because I took a blank SanDisk 2 GB card and was able to just copy the files off of the old 512 MB card and put it on the 2 GB card and it boots up and does all the stuff the 512 MB original did. But, when I added the SafeTaxi and FliteCharts to the card (and it did put the data on the card) it didn't see them in the GMX-200. Leads me to believe that you need the image of the part 010-10820-01 data card to initiate the features. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Comstar said:

Thanks kortopates. Interesting because I took a blank SanDisk 2 GB card and was able to just copy the files off of the old 512 MB card and put it on the 2 GB card and it boots up and does all the stuff the 512 MB original did. But, when I added the SafeTaxi and FliteCharts to the card (and it did put the data on the card) it didn't see them in the GMX-200. Leads me to believe that you need the image of the part 010-10820-01 data card to initiate the features. 

I believe its the activation codes only that you can't get to copy from an original card to a blank or different card. I don't recall specifically about Safe Taxi but Charts requires an activation code and I recall Safetaxi is just the airport chart that came with Charts but too long ago to be sure.

• Like 1

If you have this card and would be willing to copy the contents onto a blank 2GB card or send me the original card if you don't need it anymore, I'd be grateful - let me know how much. Garmin doesn't sell it anymore and my unit is missing it.

010-10820-01.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, Comstar said:

If you have this card and would be willing to copy the contents onto a blank 2GB card or send me the original card if you don't need it anymore, I'd be grateful - let me know how much. Garmin doesn't sell it anymore and my unit is missing it.

010-10820-01.jpg

Here's one on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/114771304990?epid=1960646429&hash=item1ab8e7221e:g:VZwAAOSwv9hW4IFT

and others: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=GARMIN+CHARTVIEW+ACTIVATION+FOR+GMX200&_sacat=0

On 5/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Yeah, I ended up buying the FliteChart and SafeTaxi (first one in the link) and all is well now.

Thanks all!

• Like 1