Prop governor and/or oil line leaking

So it’s hard to tell exactly where the oil is coming from (shocker). This picture  makes me think part of the leak is the oil line to the front of the engine.

Should I have the shop replace both?

I’m likely going to source an OHd Woodward for 1AMU less than the PCU5000. 

D0C07E8D-655C-486C-9FE7-E0641FADCFBE.jpeg

Get a can of trike from work and spray the area clean and while watching it have someone start it.

The trike is trichloaflora something, it’s often used to spray cannon plugs clean, AKA contact cleaner but all the Army mechanics will call it trike, or used to anyway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

Get a can of trike from work and spray the area clean and while watching it have someone start it.

The trike is trichloaflora something, it’s often used to spray cannon plugs clean, AKA contact cleaner but all the Army mechanics will call it trike, or used to anyway

Are you talking about 1,1,1,-trichloroethylene? AKA red brake parts cleaner. The TCE that is polluting the groundwater around all military bases?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Looks like you found it...

The oil drips appear to be coming from what looks like a compression fitting...

Often, some internal parts of the compression fitting are one time use kind of things... they get compressed to form the seal...

They don’t do very well a second time...

The part that gets squished is called a feral... a metal o-ring...

getting new ones, and installing them isn’t too difficult, but does require some knowledge....

I’d follow Rich’s advice above... he has the tech skills...  :)

Be on the look out for proper torque of that nut, to compress the o-ring, or a feral....

I’m pretty good at marking up pics...

-a-

640373DC-D5B6-4447-BBC4-B53015BA30F2.jpeg

4 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Are you talking about 1,1,1,-trichloroethylene? AKA red brake parts cleaner. The TCE that is polluting the groundwater around all military bases?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene

Probably, but used as I’m talking about it evaporates almost immediately. I assume some other form of it is what pollutes ground water, but yes, it’s very much like brake cleaner but I believe brake cleaner leaves a residue where what we used doesn’t. 

I believe if you buy electrical contact cleaner, your buying the same thing.

Edited by A64Pilot

12 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

I’m trying think but I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a ferrule used in aircraft lines, plumbing in my house, certainly.

Check the O2 systems that we were discussing before... possibly used there.  Lots of copper tubing used as well...

We have seen mixed and matched problems when mixing parts from one manufacturer’s fittings with another manufacturer’s...

Some fittings also use tube flaring as part of the seal... where a simple scratch can allow a leak to occur...

This fitting is interesting... it has tail coming out from under the nut... might be a hint to who the manufacturer is and the type if fitting...

There may also be correct torque ranges to use... one for the first time a fitting is put together... and a different one for putting them back together... might need to simply be torqued properly...

It would really help to know as much as possible about the exact fitting...

I might know a guy...  let’s invite @M20Doc (possible oil fitting leak on a governor line?)

Best regards,

-a- 

The O ring under the check nut is normally an MS 29512-6 or MS 28778-6.  There is normally nothing between the flared tube and the fitting, any imperfection in either surface can cause a leak, as can mis-alignment of the tube and fitting or a loose B nut.

There are sealing rings which can be installed if the flare is damaged and won’t seal.

Clarence

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm nearly 100% sure it's coming from the oil line connector/flange.  I'm planning to replace the line with a teflon hose.  Anyone know the length I need?   This bulletin shows 36-42" options:  https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Conversion from Constant Speed to Fixed Pitch Propeller and Vice Versa.pdf

Look up the torque and actually use a torque wrench and crows foot . Most think they know how tight things should be. It’s surprising how much torque steel lines require! 
look up “dell flare fittings” as well. I wouldn’t replace the line unless it was actually damaged. If the flare is jacked well, then replace the line. 
the dell fittings are neat, I would use it in your case. I’ve used them on aluminum HYD lines on citations.  

that ground wire shouldn’t be rubbing on your oil line either. 
-Matt

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J0nathan225 said:

So I'm nearly 100% sure it's coming from the oil line connector/flange.  I'm planning to replace the line with a teflon hose.  Anyone know the length I need?   This bulletin shows 36-42" options:  https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/Conversion from Constant Speed to Fixed Pitch Propeller and Vice Versa.pdf

There is a service built in and AD that addresses that. I would consult those.

OK need some new ideas/thoughts on the below info: 

Last weekend I cleaned the engine bay, sprayed some aerosol deodorant on the back side, and ran the engine up 3-4 times without finding or seeing a leak or any oil at all.  After leaving the plane in the hanger for 5 days the same oil stain reappeared, so its leaking some oil from above the oil line/prop governor when the engine cools down. So now I believe somewhere at or above the Magento is leaking a small amount of oil each shut down. 

Mags should not have oil in them- got it. 

I have a Mag on Right & a Surefly on Left. Run up and in flight mag checks have been fine. 

Not knowing too much about the MAG, but can oil get into it while not effecting the magneto's performance?  I believe the leak is on the bottom of the right Mag, but only after it shuts down and cools. 

Thoughts?

I chased an oil leak for quite a while before discovering it was a torn mag gasket.  Turns out they tear easily when changing mag timing.  Aircraft Spruce has both the plain round gaskets and the gaskets with bolt holes.  I've used both with equal results.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can a magneto leak here? I’ve cleaned and ran the engine a few times and never see a leak, but after 5 days of sitting I see the oil that has run down from here (I think). 
photo taking from under the magneto pointing upward on the right side. 

9FBC6232-6F22-4C18-81D5-C9BCDBBC0789.jpeg

I doubt there would be oil leaking from that part of the mag.   Note there is oil on the oil pressure line and tywrap to the left there.   There are lots of places for oil to leak there.  Could just be the oil filter and getting blown up and around.

• Like 1

The mag should not have oil inside it, so it shouldn't be leaking from there.   I'd think if it had that much oil in it it wouldn't be working very well.

If it just does it while sitting, put a little piece of paper or cardboard in front of the "leak" site and see which side of it the oil winds up on.   It'll at least indicate which direction the oil is coming from.

• Like 2

The drive end bearing is supposed to be sealed, that doesn’t mean that the seal hasn’t failed and is leaking, or that there is something else wrong in the magneto.  Taking it off and opening it will let you know.

Clarence

The oil pressure line is above the right magneto, it’s a possible source as well.  Also there appears to be a few drops on the black line/hose running past the ignition wires.

Clarence

A31631AD-B4F0-499C-AF52-977E4B00724C.jpeg

35 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The oil pressure line is above the right magneto, it’s a possible source as well.  Also there appears to be a few drops on the black line/hose running past the ignition wires.

Clarence

A31631AD-B4F0-499C-AF52-977E4B00724C.jpeg

So the other drops are water. (Top left) I washed the aircraft and then tried to get as much oil cleaned up as possible before taking the pic.  The oil primarily runs down from that grounding strap into the gear well and down onto the front gear after each flight.  Along the Mag I can, and did, wipe it clean but I bet tomorrow I can run my finger along there and get oil.   I did the cardboard thing today, I'll check back tomorrow and see. 

• Like 1