TKS Fluid Dripping Out of Nose Gear Door

RonM

19 minutes ago, CAV Ice said:

@RonM We exercise our TKS every couple weeks on our Columbia 400.  To avoid the mess in the hangar and engine area we run it during trips.  Run the system in cruise on your outbound leg until you see the panels wetting out (a couple of turns to get the sun angle just right will allow you to see the fluid on the wings... see attached picture).  Once landed look at the trailing edges of the wings and tail.  There will more than likely be residual fluid there so you can ensure the tail is wetting out.  Then on your return trip leave the system off (if possible).  This should allow the majority of the TKS fluid to leave the airframe and wont leave a mess in your hangar.  

We have noted TKS fluid running down inside our engine cowling and out the nose gear if we run it in the hangar.

Another option, if you want to run it in the hangar, is to cap the prop by removing the prop nozzle and capping it there.  A bit more maintenance extensive though.

Hope this helps. -Jason

Columbia wing in flight.jpg

your wing is broken

On 4/23/2021 at 3:11 PM, exM20K said:

It's not corrosive when new.  Old fluid can get acidic - it's worth a couple bucks to get a pH meter if you have old or suspect fluid.

-dan

The trick is to keep a garden sprayer with water in your hanger and wash down the surface areas after using the TKS system, especially where the titanium weep plates meet the skins, and especially on the tail.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CAV Ice said:

@RonM We exercise our TKS every couple weeks on our Columbia 400.  To avoid the mess in the hangar and engine area we run it during trips.  Run the system in cruise on your outbound leg until you see the panels wetting out (a couple of turns to get the sun angle just right will allow you to see the fluid on the wings... see attached picture).  Once landed look at the trailing edges of the wings and tail.  There will more than likely be residual fluid there so you can ensure the tail is wetting out.  Then on your return trip leave the system off (if possible).  This should allow the majority of the TKS fluid to leave the airframe and wont leave a mess in your hangar.  

We have noted TKS fluid running down inside our engine cowling and out the nose gear if we run it in the hangar.

Another option, if you want to run it in the hangar, is to cap the prop by removing the prop nozzle and capping it there.  A bit more maintenance extensive though.

Hope this helps. -Jason

Columbia wing in flight.jpg

I have instructed clients to run the system just prior to entering a cloud when doing their routine mx exercising of the system. This helps clean off the fluid and doesnt leave it all over the hangar floor.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 5:23 AM, alextstone said:

It is not corrosive.  It if were, TKS-equipped aircraft would be falling apart left and right.  

I doubt in the occasional usage world of GA we will see much issue but there is a Fed Ex maintenance facitlity on my field (until just recently my next door neighbor) with a fleet of 20-25 Caravans they maintain.  Since I was such an advocate of the system the DM dragged me over while I was building my Lancair IVPT to view the corrosion they were experiencing since the conversion from boots to TKS.  The most concerning was the damage to the FCU (Fuel Control Unit).  They started a more agressive rinsing program in the engine area during the winter.  They still loved the capabilities of the system over boots, but they saw some areas of concern as well. 

Needless to say, I installed TKS on my wings and HS, but went hot prop on my propellor.  An FCU for my Walters runs $30k.  I'm sure they are a LOT MORE for a Pratt.

Tom

• Like 1

My Ovation dumps TKS fluid out of the nose gear area as well during preflight. It was inspected during my annnual. No abnormalities detected. In flight the blowback onto the windshield proves to me my prop slingers are working. What you’re observing seems normal to me.

Thanks VIVRV2. The thing is, I have been running the TKS system on the ground as a test for many years. It always dripped at the prop. I don't recall seeing it dripping out of the nose gear. My airplane goes in for the annual next week and my mechanic will inspect. 

RonM

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 11:22 PM, V1VRV2 said:

Keep me updated... if you find a problem PM me please. I may have the same issue. Thanks!

VIVRV2:  You asked me to keep you updated.  My mechanic just took my airplane in for the annual.  He found "the engine baffle from the flex hose to the hard line loose.  That was why the fluid was leaking out of the cowl near the firewall."  My airplane is still in the annual, but presumably when I get the airplane back and run the TKS system, the fluid will drip from the prop and not through the nose gear door.  I have had my TKS system for about 16 years and I never remembered seeing the fluid drip through the nose gear door, but always from the prop.  Regards - RonM

• Like 2

V1VRV2:  My mechanic commented today that due to the shape of the cowling of the Ovation, it may be normal for the TKS fluid to drip down the cowling and out the nosewheel door. I have the Missile Conversion which I guess must be a different shape cowling than the Ovation. Perhaps what is normal in my airplane is different than what is normal in your airplane. Just passing along relevant commentary on this issue.

15 hours ago, RonM said:

V1VRV2:  My mechanic commented today that due to the shape of the cowling of the Ovation, it may be normal for the TKS fluid to drip down the cowling and out the nosewheel door. I have the Missile Conversion which I guess must be a different shape cowling than the Ovation. Perhaps what is normal in my airplane is different than what is normal in your airplane. Just passing along relevant commentary on this issue.

Missiles borrowed a cowl from M20Ks....

To get the extra length needed to cover the IO550...

Kind of elegant...

Best regards,

-a-