looking for Pre-buy help in clarksville, TN

AKEllsworth

14 minutes ago, mason said:

Him and I had agreed to a sale (at asking) the morning he listed it, then he sold it to someone else without telling me :(

You can consider yourself lucky that you missed out on this one. There is a very high chance this will be another example of someone spending $80K and months/years of work, to finally have a flying Mooney worth $40K.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Mason...

If that is the plane we are discussing...

It is a properly priced run-out airplane...

And Holy Cow! It has run out of a lot of things... :)

If and only if... the Engine is listed as being OH’d...

These things typically trade hands between mechanics or people that want to build a perfect plane... starting over.

If you are interested in flying a Mooney... this would not be your choice of lowest cost flying plane...

Just the engine OH costs as much as the plane...

So... something isn’t adding up....   looks like a project that got started... but won’t be completed by the current owner...

Definitely not a good first plane to purchase...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

You can consider yourself lucky that you missed out on this one. There is a very high chance this will be another example of someone spending $80K and months/years of work, to finally have a flying Mooney worth $40K.

I agree.  I got the feeling the seller (Robert) didn't want me to do a pre-buy.  I think someone is going to get burned in this deal.

If anyone knows of a good, affordable, ugly, first Mooney (preferably and C or E), please let me know.  Thanks!

Mason,

First rule about pre-buys...

Best done by somebody independent of the owner and current mechanic... 

There are several reasons for this...

Mostly human reasons...

This isn’t a statement about the quality of the shop listed here...

Just what used machinery buyers do to protect themselves from the variables of using the same shop...

PP thoughts only, not a used machine seller anymore...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Mason,

First rule about pre-buys...

Best done by somebody independent of the owner and current mechanic... 

There are several reasons for this...

Mostly human reasons...

This isn’t a statement about the quality of the shop listed here...

Just what used machinery buyers do to protect themselves from the variables of using the same shop...

PP thoughts only, not a used machine seller anymore...

Best regards,

-a-

Agreed.  T&T Aviation is not affiliated with the seller, and have not worked on the plane.  They are just at the same small airport.

So I also looked at this airplane and I also spoke to the owner. The story looked sincere. So my thinking is: if the price is right and I can put money to a run down plane and end up with better avionics newer interior and exterior I am not opposed to the extra work time and spending more money. There are C models for $50-60K and they still have outdated avionics and instruments. Is this just a pipe dream that can end up as a money pit? Would’t a pre-buy uncover any potential pit falls? I am looking to get as much information as I can as I never owned an airplane before. 

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 9:29 PM, gsxrpilot said:

What @Steve Dawson said. If it can't or isn't allowed to be flown to AGL in Morganton, NC. you don't want it.

Really? This again? When I sold my C model, I had no intention of taking it anywhere. Why? Because I do not trust a facility to pay attention to the details such as putting proper length screws back where they belong. I was more than happy to have the airplane opened up and ready for inspection in my hangar which is what happened. I was also the person who put the airplane back together after the pre-buy. I was also not willing to potentially have my airplane held hostage over an opinion of airworthiness. 
 If you follow the advice given above, you might just be passing on a real gem of an airplane. 
David

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tpavlusik said:

So I also looked at this airplane and I also spoke to the owner. The story looked sincere. So my thinking is: if the price is right and I can put money to a run down plane and end up with better avionics newer interior and exterior I am not opposed to the extra work time and spending more money. There are C models for $50-60K and they still have outdated avionics and instruments. Is this just a pipe dream that can end up as a money pit? Would’t a pre-buy uncover any potential pit falls? I am looking to get as much information as I can as I never owned an airplane before. 

1) What does price is right mean?

2) Let’s assume low, because it matches the amount of updates it needs

3) plane @ 60amu is about halfway price wise to having everything...

4) What does your plane need to have?

• paint
  • interior
  • engine hours
  • instrument panel...
  • fuel tanks sealed, rubber donuts fresh...

5) What does it need to not have...

• List things in order

6) PPIs are personal choices... what gets done is up to the owner, kind of like an insurance policy...

7) If you buy a fully run-out plane... you are in for about 20AMU... a good score... if it has no corrosion... you may hear... it’s got good bones!

8) If you are a skilled mechanic... common around here...  fixing and flying can go together...

9) If you are looking to fly... and spending money only when needed...  this has a tendency to not work out very long with a run-out plane... (done often(?) around here)

10) I started with the worst flyable M20C I could find... gambled... got lucky...

It was pre-internet... one available in my home state... I got it.

With the internet, and MS... I would have been more informed...

11) I would not have bought that plane with what I know now...

12) That was back in y2k...

13) a decade later... I passed up a good missile... couldn’t find enough info about them...

14) when buying your first Mooney... expect a good one to get away, while being slow on the trigger... once that happens... your notes are sharp, your dollars are ready... and your trigger finger is ready to work.

15) the challenge of the season... good planes are selling very quickly... nothing is waiting for you to be in the neighborhood... a week or two to get time off... to travel...

16) Some planes are better for somebody else...

17) If you have a hangar already... missing paint isn’t a killer....  outdoors... missing paint is a corrosion hazard...

18) Corrosion is very slow to start... but spreads quickly...

19) Lots of surprises come at the first real inspection...   if you have a light PPI...   the annual will be revealing....

20) Lots of things can wear out in 10-20years... reading the logs will inform you about a lot of things that have and haven’t been changed... anything that moves has a bearing that wears...  a few dollars here and there...

Select what you want to have in your plane and go for it...

Make sure you are getting what you are expecting for your money...

It is worth it...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic... or sales guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• 6 months later...

UPDATE on Mooney M20C in clarkville.

I have purchased the plane and had the Annual completed and Propeller fully overhauled No future AD required) (The prop was sitting for many years albeit with low hours inspection revealed a bad hub)

I am currently looking for a ferry pilot for a two hour engine break-in and then send to paint. Ferry is necessary due to interior having been removed.

I have already purchased new carpets, wall panels and seat covers which I intend to install myself.  The last piece of the VFR puzzle will be to install a Dynon panel and upgrade the comm and nav-comm system. 

Cylinders have  very good compression, and due to it being a recent rebuild,  will need a break-in run.  The bones are actually amazingly good only very slight surface corrosion on control rods.  During the annual we replaced all of the rod ends for every flight control rod.  Gear had been re-rigged and overhauled already, but all proper torque checks were and gear cylcles were completed.  It does have and open AD for the Aileron Control rods, but remains within the flight time limits.  I have procured replacement rods which I will install once I get it the plane home home base.  

I knew going in to this I would be spending more on the back end.  My target is a $70-80 k plane the way I want it.  I will let you guys know how that one works out:unsure:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well Mooniacs, this one is getting saved.  The airplane is light on the controls and an absolute joy to fly, today's work is done and it is now at the paint shop waiting it's turn.

A huge shout out to Tim and his crew at T&T over there at Outlaw Field.  If you ever need anything in the Nashville area, he is definitely the go to guy.

Thank you to @AKEllsworth for reaching out to me for the ferry flight and trusting me with his new project plane, I can't wait to see it with the new coat of paint.  It is so exciting to see these airplanes in good hands. 

559BD79F-2BE1-411B-A82D-1532FC29AAB0.jpeg