flying to golf

Ump44

1 hour ago, eman1200 said:

I flew to Myrtle Beach this weekend to play golf!

dd9f9e552cb22983e3040c1d9d879782.jpg

I prefer to take the clubs out of the bag. Then the bag will fit perfectly in the baggage compartment and I tie a string around the clubs and lay then in between the back seats. If there’s two of us I’ll either do that or just put the bags each in their own back seat. But I don’t prefer that method as it puts a lot of pressure on certain spots of the seats. Guess I could put a cover over the seats or something.

Man, did those balls shrink! ;o) 

-Don 

Not a Mooney but...

I was going to a pilot group golf outing and decided to take a PiperSport. For those who never saw one, it was a Czech Sport Cruiser with a Piper label - a two-seat light sport.

I was obviously worried about how they would fit so I went to the FBO with my golf bag. When I asked for the keys I explained I wasn't going to fly, just wanted to figure out how to fit the clubs in and secure them. 

"No problem," the guy behind the counter said. "Just put the whole bag horizontally behind the seats."

Sure enough. They fit perfectly! Can't  even do that in a 36 series Bonanza! (They fit in the Bo but lengthwise)

image.thumb.png.18f7e9061c651a2552252b38e4f8e93e.png

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

So...

How do the three guys with clubs get to the course?

The line of logic to follow....

If it fits in a Tahoe, it will fit in an Ovation....  (David,  Jimmy’s business partner for decades)

The 310 hp makes getting off the ground at MGTW a breeze...

Are the three guys familiar with GA?

Or are we starting fresh?

If you usually walk the course, and carry light weight equipment... GA is really a great fit...

If you carry a giant bag that has room for a refrigerator... and always use a cart...

Something turbine powered may be better...  :)

Some golf courses have airports right next door... at least two in NJ that I can think of...  UBER makes the rest a breeze...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

2 people and clubs is easy. 3not so much.

Aspen Colorado is a great place to fly in for golf.

The free bus stops at the airport and the course.

‘The city maintains free bus service for the people who work in the city but can’t afford to live there.

‘most of the people who work in Aspen live “down valley”

The city course can be played. Maroon Creek is private.

kind of a bucket list sort of place to play.  Combines my two favorite pastimes.

57EC069F-2686-463D-A245-1C9D1965E380.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ump44 said:

I am new to the aviation world and would like some opinions on a plane to purchase.  I'm looking to travel with three adults and three set of golf clubs.  total weight is 850lbs.  passengers and baggage/clubs.  was thinking about a m20J, if the cabin can hold this, I have seen split rear seats that a back could be removed.  Was hoping that we could lay clubs down over that seat area and still have an adult ride next to them.  Would like to know if this is possible.  If not with a m20j what would you recommend.  Trip distance will vary quite a bit in NM.

I can carry at least 2 sets of golf clubs in my long body (Bravo) and it works great.  It should fit three if you use my method described here.  The “secret” is to take out the driver and woods, put the bags through the baggage door then put the longer clubs in the baggage compartment once everything else is in.

On a side note, this is an area where the Mooney has a distinct advantage over the new panthera.  You would be hard pressed to fit more than one carry on size suitcase in the baggage compartment let alone golf clubs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davidv said:

I can carry at least 2 sets of golf clubs in my long body (Bravo) and it works great.  It should fit three if you use my method described here.  The “secret” is to take out the driver and woods, put the bags through the baggage door then put the longer clubs in the baggage compartment once everything else is in.

On a side note, this is an area where the Mooney has a distinct advantage over the new panthera.  You would be hard pressed to fit more than one carry on size suitcase in the baggage compartment let alone golf clubs.

Couldn’t agree more, just make sure your golfing friends know how to exit a Mooney without help of the FBO personnel. It took two workers to get my moronic friend to exit the plane, I took the week teaching him on the kitchen chairs how to maneuver, for three guys we ship the clubs, except mine.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Danb said:

It took two workers to get my moronic friend to exit the plane, I took the week teaching him on the kitchen chairs how to maneuver, for three guys we ship the clubs, except mine.

Choose your friends wisely :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

I had a J and could fit two sets in the storage area by taking out the woods and drivers and standing the bags up then laying the woods and drivers length wise with the heads in the hat rack and the handles pointing forward. I would wrap them together with a couple bungie cords. Good luck with three bags and three people.