flying to golf

Ump44

I am new to the aviation world and would like some opinions on a plane to purchase.  I'm looking to travel with three adults and three set of golf clubs.  total weight is 850lbs.  passengers and baggage/clubs.  was thinking about a m20J, if the cabin can hold this, I have seen split rear seats that a back could be removed.  Was hoping that we could lay clubs down over that seat area and still have an adult ride next to them.  Would like to know if this is possible.  If not with a m20j what would you recommend.  Trip distance will vary quite a bit in NM.

You can fit 3 empty carry bags in the luggage area standing upright, the irons will also fit cross ways in the luggage area. The woods will fit length ways across the seat backs and tucked into the hat rack, leaving 1 backseat open to seating.

Split back seats give you more flexibility. Extra luggage will have to be soft smaller type...backpack size. No way can you fit a foursome.

46 minutes ago, Ump44 said:

I am new to the aviation world and would like some opinions on a plane to purchase.  I'm looking to travel with three adults and three set of golf clubs.  total weight is 850lbs.  passengers and baggage/clubs.  was thinking about a m20J, if the cabin can hold this, I have seen split rear seats that a back could be removed.  Was hoping that we could lay clubs down over that seat area and still have an adult ride next to them.  Would like to know if this is possible.  If not with a m20j what would you recommend.  Trip distance will vary quite a bit in NM.

Absolutely! If you only fly with 21 gallons :lol:

If you're flying to the next airport over or at most 50nm, you'll manage to still have VFR reserve!

Absolutely! If you only fly with 21 gallons :lol:
If you're flying to the next airport over or at most 50nm, you'll manage to still have VFR reserve!

Assuming 1000lbs of useful load, that’s 25 gallons of fuel.
But 850lbs for 3 people? Golf clubs and a little luggage for 3 should be less than 150lbs, so 3 people at 700lbs is some larger than average people.

6 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

You can fit 3 empty carry bags in the luggage area standing upright, the irons will also fit cross ways in the luggage area. The woods will fit length ways across the seat backs and tucked into the hat rack, leaving 1 backseat open to seating.

Split back seats give you more flexibility. Extra luggage will have to be soft smaller type...backpack size. No way can you fit a foursome.

Thank you for the reply..  I am really glad to hear this can be done. I knew there had to be someone else out there with the same passion for golf as flying.  Have you done this?  Would like to know your thoughts after the trip.

36 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

If you can pull it off I’d like to see pictures. 

2 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Assuming 1000lbs of useful load, that’s 25 gallons of fuel.
But 850lbs for 3 people? Golf clubs and a little luggage for 3 should be less than 150lbs, so 3 people at 700lbs is some larger than average people.

I guess we are bigger than average.   640lbs is human occupancy

1 minute ago, Matt Ward said:

I've posted pics on here of two sets of clubs in the backseat of my E.  Not a lot of extra room.  Two adults + clubs is very doable, three sounds difficult.

Thank you I will look to see if I can find them

I own a long body and often travel by myself or one passenger and carry a bag of clubs and a push cart and overnight bags.  My rear seat lays down so the clubs can go thru the baggage door (only small golf bags can do this) and lay across the seat.  You might get two bags lying on top of one another but three would be tough.  I never have done this but you might look into Ship Sticks for part of your load. Three people  is going to limit your fuel load which is not ideal.  As mentioned a 210, 206 or a Cherokee 6 would be a better choice.

Just now, Ragsf15e said:

I strongly suspect you’re going to be looking for a cherokee 6, saratoga, c-210, or Bo.  The barn door loading would be a bonus, but I think you’ll need the extra room.

Was hoping not to have to step up that much of a plane, but it may have to be.  A few of the trips would only be two travelers, just don't want to be disappointed with my decision.

Just now, FoxMike said:

I own a long body and often travel by myself or one passenger and carry a bag of clubs and a push cart and overnight bags.  My rear seat lays down so the clubs can go thru the baggage door (only small golf bags can do this) and lay across the seat.  You might get two bags lying on top of one another but three would be tough.  I never have done this but you might look into Ship Sticks for part of your load. Three people  is going to limit your fuel load which is not ideal.  As mentioned a 210, 206 or a Cherokee 6 would be a better choice.

Thank you this is the kind of info I'm looking far.

A fun little tid bit for you.......while filming the Boots movie years ago, longtime former Mooney employee and wonderful Mooney historian Joe Schmerber shared a little story about himself and a couple other folks that would occasionally throw their clubs in the Mooney and fly to a nearby golf course ....... landing on the course for a few rounds.....then return to the factory before closing time.

If you're looking for an economical Mooney for this mission, it would need to be a mid-body. Those are the M20G, F, J, and K. Somewhere in the early to mid 1980's, the J's and K's started getting the removable back bucket seats. I have them in my 1987 M20K. I think the lay down/removable seats started in '82 or '84? I'm not 100% sure which year. I don't think any of the G's or F's have the removable back seats as they were too early.

In that configuration, you could have three seats occupied and the clubs stacked up where the second back seat used to be. They would be laying parallel to the direction of flight. I could take my clubs out to the hangar and take a picture for you.

It will be difficult to find a later model J with 1000 lbs useful load. Most of them will be in the 870 to 920 lb range. There will be outliers of course. The K's come in a few flavors, 231, 252, and Encore. And any of them with removable back seats would work. All of the 252's and Encores will have the removable back seats. But prices are all over the place. 231's start at about $90K, 252's at $140K and Encores at $220K. The Encores will have 1000+ lbs UL. But by the time you get to that price point, there are a lot of larger aircraft that you could own and would be more comfortable for 3 full size guys and 3 sets of golf clubs.

I flew to Myrtle Beach this weekend to play golf!

dd9f9e552cb22983e3040c1d9d879782.jpg

I prefer to take the clubs out of the bag. Then the bag will fit perfectly in the baggage compartment and I tie a string around the clubs and lay then in between the back seats. If there’s two of us I’ll either do that or just put the bags each in their own back seat. But I don’t prefer that method as it puts a lot of pressure on certain spots of the seats. Guess I could put a cover over the seats or something.

Or rent a set of clubs at the course. I know they aren't "your" clubs but most of the nice courses have nice sets. I've been on a number of golf trips, and while I have taken my clubs on the airlines, (I like my clubs) a lot of the others on the trips just rent a set, haven't played any better or worse with the rented set, and still enjoyed the rounds.