Martha Lunken, our region's first lady of flying, is grounded. 'It's like being disemboweled

JimB

40 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

What kind of enforcement action involves taking the private pilot exam again?  That's the first I've ever heard of such an action?

When you piss off the Man, he takes all of your certificates. 

Once she is able to take and pass the PPL written test and check ride, she will be a VFR pilot until she accumulates XC time on her new certificates to take and pass the IFR written and check ride.

She was made an example of simply because of her fame.Regardless of opinions of whether or not flying under a bridge with more clearance than the golden gate (220 ft) poses enough actual risk (last 2 or 3 decades this would be treated with maybe a phone call and a carpet dance)FAA at his time likes to make examples...joe blow would likely get away with a 409 ride or a suspension.Total revocation is what she got...In dec im told she can start training for her SEl pvt.HMMM wonder when her CFI will solo her...or how the cfi with a 150 hrs in a 172 will quicky realize who is training who?Both of these scenarios happened to fellow 10,000 hr pilot who was on disabilty due to work back issues that the FAA cross referenced ssa disabilty list with medical statements of prior medical issues on his class 2 medical.Result..revocation of all certificates..his CFI on his required training stated it was like little league manager teaching Hank Aaron how to play right field!

On 4/20/2021 at 11:12 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Remember when the FAA took Bob Hoover's certificate away?  They thought he was too old and posed a danger to others!

The FAA giveth, and the FAA taketh away.

I do hope Ms. Martha gets her cert. back.  I'd hate to see her have to resort to buying and flying a drone only!  :D

She seems like an inspiration to others [uh, except for the bridge thing... ].

she could always go the ultralight route....FAA is essentially ignoring those guys as they make more and more drone rules (model airplane also)

• Like 1

Well - I gotta like the spunk at age 78 and I hope I still have the spunk at age 78 but I know better than go fly under bridges at age 53.

I hope I have that spunk at age 78, but the wisdom to not fly under a bridge.

But if I make it to a 100 and I am still flying, I think I want to announce it here and now.  My plan on my 100th birthday is to go fly under a bridge and get my license revoked for acting like an immature 19 year old whooohaaa.  Then I will go get an article written about myself.  What a way to hand your license in!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, aviatoreb said:

Well - I gotta like the spunk at age 78 and I hope I still have the spunk at age 78 but I know better than go fly under bridges at age 53.

But if I make it to a 100 and I am still flying, I think I want to announce it here and now.  My plan on my 100th birthday is to go fly under a bridge and get my license revoked for acting like an immature 19 year old whooohaaa.  Then I will go get an article written about myself.  What a way to hand your license in!

If you are still flying at 100 and get your license revoked, think of all the records you could have that would probably last indefinitely.  What a legacy....oldest pilot to lose his license, then following the Martha Lunken route...oldest pilot to take the PPL again, oldest pilot to get an instrument rating again...the list goes on and on.:D

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thinwing said:

She was made an example of simply because of her fame.Regardless of opinions of whether or not flying under a bridge with more clearance than the golden gate (220 ft) poses enough actual risk (last 2 or 3 decades this would be treated with maybe a phone call and a carpet dance)FAA at his time likes to make examples...joe blow would likely get away with a 409 ride or a suspension.Total revocation is what she got...In dec im told she can start training for her SEl pvt.HMMM wonder when her CFI will solo her...or how the cfi with a 150 hrs in a 172 will quicky realize who is training who?Both of these scenarios happened to fellow 10,000 hr pilot who was on disabilty due to work back issues that the FAA cross referenced ssa disabilty list with medical statements of prior medical issues on his class 2 medical.Result..revocation of all certificates..his CFI on his required training stated it was like little league manager teaching Hank Aaron how to play right field!

There is the possibility that she did receive that phone call from the FAA.  And instead of tucking tail and apologizing, she may have let her spunk get the best of it and spouted off the wrong things to the wrong person.  How many times has it been told that if given a number to call that you are polite, apologetic and learn your lesson.  Maybe she did get that phone call but was not quite polite and apologetic but the exact opposite.  From what I have heard about her and read about her, this is quite plausible.

• Like 1

i dont anything about her diplomatic talents...what you pose is quite possible...Harrison Ford was quite publically apologetic and humble during his land on the taxiway..there were calls to ground him permently as the danger he posed was real and well filmed...he kept is cert...but he is a likable guy

• Like 1

Just now, Tim Jodice said:

I was 4 at the time. What happened in 1984?

In 1949 George Orwell wrote a book entitled Nineteen84 (1984)

It was a dystopian vision of the future. Written as a warning to society it has somehow become a “how to” book for certain progressive politicians. 
We are living much of what the book warns about. Everyone needs to read this book and reflect on the current state of freedom in America and the world.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

It appears we're the same age, so if you want to do some formation flying under bridges in 2067 let me know.  It would make for an even better article.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, spistora said:

It appears we're the same age, so if you want to do some formation flying under bridges in 2067 let me know.  It would make for an even better article.

Call me, I'll watch from my wheelchair with my own Emergency Revocation letter in my lap!  :D

Illegal, unbriefed formation flight under a bridge . . . . .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tim Jodice said:

Seriously I don't know know what happened in 1984 in avation.

Should be a summary on Wikipedia. Look up "1984" by George Orwell. It's not aviation-specific, though. 

It's a futuristic doomsday tale that is coming true right now . . . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hank said:

Call me, I'll watch from my wheelchair with my own Emergency Revocation letter in my lap!  :D

Illegal, unbriefed formation flight under a bridge . . . . .

Old man Mooney Bro you can ride right seat with me and take over if I conk out halfway home.  Just to make sure I live long enough to get the reprimand!

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Should be a summary on Wikipedia. Look up "1984" by George Orwell. It's not aviation-specific, though. 

It's a futuristic doomsday tale that is coming true right now . . . .

or George Orwells other opus..Animal Farm....."all animals are equal.....some are just more equal than others..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RJBrown said:

In 1949 George Orwell wrote a book entitled Nineteen84 (1984)

It was a dystopian vision of the future. Written as a warning to society it has somehow become a “how to” book for certain progressive politicians. 
We are living much of what the book warns about. Everyone needs to read this book and reflect on the current state of freedom in America and the world.

It’s not just the progressives that are following the playbook. “Newspeak” and “alternative facts” have some striking similarities. Besides, we’ve always been at war with Eurasia...

It’s a great book (and awful movie) but please, read the book. The Wikipedia article doesn’t do it justice.

My son had to do an “animal” book report in 4th grade and he likes pigs so I suggested Animal Farm. I asked him what he thought about it and he said “Dad, I was WAY too young for that book.” 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Hank said:

When you piss off the Man, he takes all of your certificates. 

Once she is able to take and pass the PPL written test and check ride, she will be a VFR pilot until she accumulates XC time on her new certificates to take and pass the IFR written and check ride.

Is this correct? I always understood that having your pilot certificate revoked would require reapplying, but that your previous experience would count toward the new application.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

It’s not just the progressives that are following the playbook. “Newspeak” and “alternative facts” have some striking similarities. Besides, we’ve always been at war with Eurasia...

It’s a great book (and awful movie) but please, read the book. The Wikipedia article doesn’t do it justice.

My son had to do an “animal” book report in 4th grade and he likes pigs so I suggested Animal Farm. I asked him what he thought about it and he said “Dad, I was WAY too young for that book.” 

My Grandma took me to a movie when I was about 10 called Animal House.  She thought it was going to be a documentary about animals.  It starred Jim Belushi.  She was very frugal from her experiences from he great depression.  We stayed for the whole thing gosh darned because she paid for it.  I enjoyed it.  I think she did too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

My Grandma took me to a movie when I was about 10 called Animal House.  She thought it was going to be a documentary about animals.  It starred Jim Belushi.  She was very frugal from her experiences from he great depression.  We stayed for the whole thing gosh darned because she paid for it.  I enjoyed it.  I think she did too.

I like your Grandma :D

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

For some reason that reminded me of this:

BF46DAAF-08D1-49D7-A161-D6102AAE7C85.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It doesn't matter who you are, politicians aside (JK)  - arrogant unprofessional behavior, especially from someone who is presumably in a position of respect or legendary status and setting an example for others, isn't acceptable. If one is to make the decision to behave that way knowing the ramifications then one must humbly accept the punishment and move on.

• Like 2