“How much does an overhaul cost?”

Powder coat isn’t any harder to remove than a good quality two part paint, thankfully it is harder to remove than paint from a rattle can. 

‘As I said at least two aircraft manufacturers who’s entire airframes are 4130 tube have been powder coated with FAA approval for two decades or so, with no problems.

I’ve seen Maules that were on floats in the Bahamas stripped for new fabric, the ones powder coated are fine, the painted ones usually have several severely corroded tubes and many will need replacing.

‘After seeing a few of those, I decided to have the Thrush airframes, engine mounts, landing gear etc powder coated, because Ag aircraft operate in an extremely corrosive environment, and quite frankly paint just isn’t as good as it used to be with all the concerns with VOC’s etc.

‘If the above question about tubes internally coated was asking about Thrush, yes.

‘The process begins by drilling and tapping all four engine mount attachments, plug three and connect shop air to the fourth and pressurize the airframe with shop air (120PSI) then using soapy water look for any leaks at the welds and repair any that there are, then using all four drilled points. fill the entire fuselage with heated boiled linseed oil, and raise it by the tail to the ceiling and drain it overnight.

‘The landing gear used to not be linseed oiled, I started that about the same time as the powder coat.

‘I would hope that Mooney linseed oils it’s tube components, it’s been an industry standard since before WWII.

‘I’ve heard, but do not know that at times Mooney has MIG welded tube assemblies and at other times TIG welded.

‘TIG welding is usually considered to be a superior weld.

‘If any one knows, I’d be interested in knowing what years they used MIG welders, if they ever did.

Wednesday, April 21st

Today was a light day for me and my credit card. I phoned Pacific Oil Cooler Service out in LaVerne, California and spoke with a gentleman there. They sell and service oil coolers. I wanted their opinion as to whether or not I should replace my Stewart Warner Oil Cooler or have them service it instead. They told me that my existing cooler is a good quality piece of equipment and that if it is maintained and used properly, it should give indefinite service. A new one would cost some $400++ more than the cost of their cleaning, inspection, testing and repair service. 

I had looked at some recent reviews on a new, equivalent cooler, now being manufactured by another firm. Some guys were having problems, including leaks with the newer units. If the guy at Pacific had told me that the new units were significantly “better”, then I would have ordered a new one. I got the impression that I would be better off keeping and servicing what I have.

All I did today was to ship the oil cooler to Pacific for servicing. Packaging, shipping and Insurance totaled $33.02. This brings our project total to $13,821.28.

Tomorrow, my engine mount and exhaust system are scheduled to be delivered to AWI and I should receive my Aircraft Spruce order as well.

Edited by BKlott

BK,

How old is the vernatherm?

Is it part of the oil cooler, like a Mooney has... or is it somewhere else?

They often get tested, by boiling it in water and see what temps it opens and closes....

If it meets the spec... fly on...

If it is close... swap it out while you have the chance....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

BK,

They often get tested, by boiling it in water and see what temps it opens and closes....

Best regards,

-a-

I believe that is on the engine itself and at the overhaul shop. My plane has a remote, firewall mounted oil cooler.

The only components that are being reused as-is are my alternator, which has 458 hours on it and exhibits no indication of any issues and my propellor which was overhauled in March 2016. The prop is still in great shape with 303 hours smoh.

On 4/22/2021 at 12:16 AM, carusoam said:

BK,

Best regards,

-a-

Vernatherms are required to be replaced at overhaul.

• Thanks 1

Wednesday, April 28th

Today I have an update on my exhaust system. As you’ll recall, I had sent my exhaust to Aerospace Welding, Inc. to be overhauled. Shortly after it arrived, I received a call from them verifying it had arrived and that they would start working on it. It got overhauled all right. After inspection, they “hauled” it “over” to their dumpster and tossed it in. It was in such bad shape that none of it was salvageable. 

In hindsight, I should have evaluated the condition of my exhaust system more carefully before sending it off. Had I done so, I could have elected to simply purchase the new system and would have saved myself $470.01 in packing and shipping charges on the old one. Given it’s age and condition, that would have been the sensible thing to do.

Since when are light aircraft owners known for making sensible financial decisions?!

Today I received a brand spanking new exhaust system for $1,909.50 ($1,855.90 + $53.60 shipping).

This brings our project total to $15,730.78 to date.

8968BD5F-3271-4910-AFF4-939D25593704.thumb.jpeg.f884d4c4bc34601ab2d63117f762dc80.jpeg3EA3DB45-5EF2-4F7C-BBE4-032877BDF5D1.thumb.jpeg.fbaa56d6c35c0c3d4b1e36f409bb8eb1.jpeg

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 2

I am going through this now too! Pictured is my 1964 172 engine now. I bought a 1981 231 to replace the Cessna. The 172 engine had 2450 hours so no one wanted to buy it so decided to overhaul the engine. I think I can get the $ out of the overhaul. I will let everyone know. This is what a $10,000 deposit looks like so far.

Forth flight the vacuum pump broke, one thing lead to another and now I have 2 GI-275, GTN-750 and a new audio panel and transponder. Got to sell the Cessna to pay for the avionics in the Mooney. 

F039B6F3-09BB-4536-9257-15FB9A3BF336.jpeg

F55AE637-3CEF-4D49-8660-EDD9F07AEB50.jpeg

255E6AAE-C422-4CD0-ACB7-EF191F531D8D.jpeg

• Like 1

Friday, April 30th

Today I received a complete new set of powder coated engine baffles from Airforms, Inc. in Wasilla, Alaska. They look absolutely beautiful and are far nicer than the worn out original baffles that were left on my airplane. You can see the difference in the pictures below.

3092B57C-EB0F-4069-8C9B-E70BD02FF1F3.thumb.jpeg.c0e397b966f84d9af3c5b01f0cb38fac.jpeg24EFB479-1B5C-4887-8572-D2F75E11D78A.thumb.jpeg.5e171e1ac5a6836dc83d5931747b8f25.jpeg

I’ve also ordered the two air filters that are used in my vacuum system. One of these is a wraparound foam filter. Both of these should be replaced when the vacuum pump is replaced, if not sooner. Ordered some new SCAT, or in this case, SCEET ducting  as well. This added $107.37 to the bill. 

Still waiting for a report on my engine mount. I don’t believe this is a “no news is good news” type of thing.

My project total to date is now $15,838.15. I guess I can now say that I am truly baffled.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Earlier you mentioned a new egt probe. If you don’t have a modern engine monitor now would be the time with that newly overhauled engine coming soon. 

That is great advice. I have to admit that I am thoroughly uninformed when it comes to the modern engine monitors that are available. Fortunately I am not quite two weeks in to a ten to twelve week wait for my engine so, I have plenty of time to get educated. 

27 minutes ago, BKlott said:

That is great advice. I have to admit that I am thoroughly uninformed when it comes to the modern engine monitors that are available. Fortunately I am not quite two weeks in to a ten to twelve week wait for my engine so, I have plenty of time to get educated. 

Best Budget Engine monitor (good enough for carbureted engines): Insight G2 or G3

Best Priced Full Primary replacement: JPI EDM900 (Close second with discount coupon: EI CGR Combo)

Best top of the line primary replacement large screen: EI MVP-50

Just my well researched $0.02

• Thanks 1

MVP-50 in my Maule almost 10 years ago I’d guess?

The MVP had a lot of functionality, especially if you get the audio. I mentioned once to Rob Roberts at EI about how sexy she sounded, then found out she is his Daughter in law. :)

ABD3A3F8-AB60-4048-82F7-013E6CFFDBB0.jpeg

• Like 2

The MVP50 is one of the best devices ever... and it comes with great support if you ever need it...

The EI guy is around here when you have questions...  look for oregon87 with the @ in front...

For other nice voices captured in our avionics... Mrs. Monroy has been calling out traffic for decades... Traffic, ahead... :)

in the event that a decent modern engine monitor isn’t in the budget yet...

JPI 700s are hitting the used market because so many primary engine monitors are taking their place in the panel modernization drive... 

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Friday, May 7th

Today I received my oil cooler back from Pacific Oil Cooler Service. They found some cracks in the mounting bracket and repaired them. The cost for their services was $298.13 ($216 for the overhaul, $50 for the labor in repairing the cracks and $32.13 for the freight charge). 

A328BE75-8530-458D-8B25-91C8671996A8.thumb.jpeg.c5a3bf350c66438c07da3114e3a3e91d.jpegThe cooler sure looks nice. It was very well packaged for the trip home. Beats the cost of $700+ for a new one.

I also received the new Alcor EGT probe that was back ordered. Still have not made a decision on the engine monitor but I have 8 to 9 weeks wait on the engine. No need to rush on that. 

I called AWI to follow up on the engine mount. Found out that they are in the process of moving this week. The engine mount section is supposed to be in place at their new facility on Monday. Maybe I’ll hear something early next week.

Neglected to account for the postage charge for returning the vacuum pump core of $12.80. 

New fuel and oil hoses are on order from Aero Aviation Hose Shop in Granite City, IL. I ordered the Teflon hoses with the integral fire sleeve option. They are a bit pricey compared to the standard hose materials used but given the overall cost of this project, the added cost is insignificant.

Our total project cost to date is now $16,176.49.

Edited by BKlott

On 4/19/2021 at 4:13 PM, BKlott said:

Today I returned to Zephyrhills Airport to meet the guys from Zephyr Aircraft Engines so that they could pick up my engine and take it to their shop.

Do they have a shop where you can fly your plane in and they remove it and keep the plane in a hangar until the project is done?

On 5/8/2021 at 9:13 AM, Jim Peace said:

Do they have a shop where you can fly your plane in and they remove it and keep the plane in a hangar until the project is done?

If you fly in to ZPH you can taxi right over to the engine shop. Their shop is located on the Southwest corner of the field, easily accessible from the Runway 5 taxiway.

I do not know if they offer engine removal and installation services. There is enough space in one building to house an aircraft. A J-3 is sitting in there right now. I have seen both a Cirrus and a Warrior/Archer parked outside on occasion. You would probably just need to call and ask to speak with “LJ”, who runs the operation, to see if they can accommodate your needs.

Monday, May 10th

My new hose set arrived this morning. I had expected an email to let me know that they had shipped but that didn’t happen. These are the Teflon hoses with the integral firesleeve protection. Total cost was $671.23 ($651.23 for the set plus $20 for shipping).

E83920BF-C253-409D-84B3-9E6C30C64B4B.thumb.jpeg.b25b6cef776ddefa4156744a3087cbda.jpeg
This brings our total project cost up to $16,847.72 and counting...

I think that one of the main things I am doing when reading this thread is adding the remaining cost of the overhaul and trying not to have sticker shock - I don't think that the project is there at the sticker shock level... I'm just bracing myself for future string of costs on the Mooney.

6 hours ago, 211º said:

I think that one of the main things I am doing when reading this thread is adding the remaining cost of the overhaul and trying not to have sticker shock - I don't think that the project is there at the sticker shock level... I'm just bracing myself for future string of costs on the Mooney.

One of my goals with this thread is to do a COMPLETE and reasonably high QUALITY overhaul and illustrate what that involves and the costs associated with doing it right. It certainly has been an educational experience for me so far, as I hope it will be for everyone following along.

The project is in limbo as I am still waiting for an update from AWI on my motor mount. They are backed up in their work due to their recent move and an increased demand for their services. Additionally, the engine overhaul itself is still in the first half of the quoted “ten to twelve weeks” process. Who knows if the crankcase or crankshaft will pass or need to be replaced? Some potentially large ticket surprises may still be lurking out there.

Even though I am working on a multi-engine rating and dealing with multiple home maintenance and home improvement projects as well, I sure do miss flying my airplane. It leaves a hole in you when you want to fly your plane and you can’t. 

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 10:27 PM, BKlott said:

It has the O-320-E2D 150 hp Lycoming.

It’s likely gonna  cost more than a factory overhaul..... which will more than likely have a new case and will have roller lifters.  

Thursday, May 20th

Initial report back from Zephyr Aircraft Engines. DIVCO found my crankcase is cracked beyond repair. The crack is located on the upper left side of the case by the front through bolt. I had noticed that this area was wet with oil in recent months but could not determine the source of the leakage.

We are discussing the pros/cons of the purchase of a yellow tagged crankcase versus a new crankcase.

Still waiting for word on the crankshaft.

This is part of the real world of aircraft ownership. This can happen to any of us. More updates to follow.

• Sad 3

Ugh!

Case cracks are scary...

Often, they are the reason to make the decision for OH...

So...  You got full value out of the last OH...  if that helps you feel better...  :)

Sometimes castings have various flaws that allow cracks to form...

Whoever the case guy is.... he probably has good insight on the various options...

1) Save this case half...

2) Get a different used case half...

3) Get a new case....

Fortunately, there are many of the same motor around...

Is it too soon to mention looking for a different plane....   :)

Best regards,

-a-