Garmin AOA with 3GX?

rbp

Doesn’t sound like anyone has installed it. Too bad; I would be interested in knowing how well it works as I’ve been considering it also. Given the Mooney’s sensitivity to approach speed, I would think an AOA indicator would be useful. I have an Aspen PFD with their synthesized AOA but the indication is so small it’s hard to read (not to mention that multiple calibration attempts have not yielded correct indications - but that’s another issue). I think the G3X display might also be a bit small and the glareshield display is just ugly.

Skip

For display... up above the glare shield seems to be a good place...

There are two MSers around here that put the display close to inline with looking out the windshield...

The CYA100 was a few colored lights, that went well on the center tube...

The more high end AOAi had a display that mounted to the top of the glare shield... with a fold up and down option...

+1 for knowing where to glance, and getting what you need... in the smallest amount of time...

The closer I get to the runway, the less I like looking down at the instrument panel...

Best regards,

-a-

On a related note, I was doing some recurrent training the other day and we did accelerated stalls.  The buffet is so violent (and loud) it's hard to believe anyone would keep pulling in that scenario.  I guess this is my subtle way of saying that while nice, the AoA isn't as useful in our planes as say, a STOL or fighter jet.  Our approach speeds are 20-25+ knots above stall speed at average gross weights and you should be feeling it in your butt well before you get a stall horn (still not stalling) or even a buffet. So this doesn't turn into a LOP thread, I'm not trying to offend anyone who put one in because clearly it does serve some purpose but it's just personal preference.

All true David...

Consider what else the AOAi does for the user...

It is a precise method of selecting the right speed to land today...

Since a 10kias overspeed turns into a 1k’ float down the runway....

The AOA users have a great tool to use when trying to land with precision... pick the stripe you want to land on, and put it there...

Sure a skilled Mooney pilot doesn’t need the extra tool...  

• if he knows his current gross weight....
  • and has memorized the stall speeds for his plane...
  • Has a copy of Don Kaye’s landing speed chart...

One of these days... I’m going to add an AOAi...   :)

Slow flight around the pattern, with banks... I’d like to know how much lift I have in reserve while adjusting the attitude...

Low power, descending turn... will I feel anything before the bottom drops out?  Either getting too slow, or banking too much... (just wondering)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

It is a precise method of selecting the right speed to land today...

Since a 10kias overspeed turns into a 1k’ float down the runway....

The AOA users have a great tool to use when trying to land with precision... pick the stripe you want to land on, and put it there...

This is exactly right!

• Thanks 1

U74,

The donut is there...  more of a mini donut.

But, it gets a bit buried in the busyness of the display.  :D

Big G has selected a tiny donut, with the same color as the neighboring display bits...

And Wow! It is quite a display...

not bad... I’m not familiar with the G3X at all...  took only a few uncomfortable seconds to find everything...

Being familiar, will improve things... a lot.

For the five or so active minutes of the flight where this instrument is most useable...

Buried in the display, isn’t as good as.... prominently displayed, close to the windshield...

This will get more fun... as heads-up displays get better adapted to the GA world... this will minimize the near/far focus challenge...

:)

-a-

Extra cool bonus feature...  when you watch Skip’s video a second time...  the remote display with variable audio output looks really interesting..!  Including the mini-donut...

The G3X started in the experimental side of the big G business... similar to the G5...

But, they evolved into certified units...

Sounds like a good thing to check on... to make sure all of the options are available for the certified world...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1