First Flight on Mars!

Controlled, self propelled flight* of a heavier than atmosphere machine on another planet!   Lasted 39 sec.   See link from NASA!

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-ingenuity-mars-helicopter-succeeds-in-historic-first-flight

*Note: flight requires the presence of aerodynamic lift created by the interaction of the shape of the craft and the free stream flow on a Free Body Diagram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey José is in the house!

:)

First flight on Mars... was approximately 10’.... straight up, hover,  straight down, land....

reaching a density altitude of about 100k’ on Earth...

Fighting a gravitational pull that is somewhat less than Earth... 38% of Earth.

How many people were responsible for this flight itself?

Compare to the first experience of a rover on Mars....  it crashed into a rock and got eternally stuck on it...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A64Pilot said:

I for one will never get over the fact that the flag wasn’t flown at half mast when Neil Armstrong died, not sure what it takes to be an American Hero if he didn’t make the cut

I didn't know that.  Neil Armstrong represented a greatest achievement of the USA and of humanity as a whole.  An achievement much greater than the one man he who stepped on the moon, but he wore that figure head great responsibility well and he himself spoke exactly the right words for that moment, one small step for man....

Its a shame they didn't half mast the flag as a remembrance of him, and a remembrance of the great achievement of a massive massive effort of which he was a part amongst many.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I didn't know that.  Neil Armstrong represented a greatest achievement of the USA and of humanity as a whole.  An achievement much greater than the one man he who stepped on the moon, but the wore that figure head well and he himself spoke exactly the right words for that moment, one small step for man....

Its a shame they didn't half mast the flag as a remembrance of him, and a remembrance of the great achievement of a massive massive effort of which he was a part amongst many.

Thank you Neil, and thank you JFK for the inspirational leadership.

• Like 2

Flight three is in the books...

A whole minute long, or so....

Climb, hover, rotate, descend, land...   and... still be re-usable... :)

Their O2 generator is up and running... converting CO2 to C and O2....

No idea what they are doing with O2 at this point...

So much to keep an eye...  Bezos, Musk, NASA, Boeing...

SpaceX just sent four people to the ISS....

SpaceX started planning the next Moon landing...

Human flight leaving Cape Canaveral.

Humanless flights leaving Boca Chica.

Weeks apart...

No waiting...

No prizes get awarded for a RUD.... Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly...  :)

PP science viewing only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Read an article today stating engineers are going to push the little guy to the max!...... expecting it to crash eventually, yet learning tons from it during the process.

Amazing and it’s all just a wow!

I’m so relieved that the Martian’s that frightened the bejesus out of me when I was a small child, don’t really exist! :D

3 hours ago, Hank said:

That's OK, the 1938 radio broadcast of it almost caused a national panic . . . . .

Orsen Wells, Mercury Theatre, very well produced and executed.

My father was in radio broadcasting during that time. He described the hysteria some experienced from the live broadcast.

12 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Orsen Wells, Mercury Theatre, very well produced and executed.

My father was in radio broadcasting during that time. He described the hysteria some experienced from the live broadcast.

It was an incredibly important moment I'm the history of media as it brought out the true power of media to spread even false threats - fake news.  It was not intentionally meant to be fake news but it effectively was and taken as that. Like it or not, modern media is incredibly effective.

What were we talking about again -

oh yeah - Mars.

How bout that copter!  I can't help but notice it looks so much like a cheap toy rc copter the size of my fist I bought for my son like 7 our 8 years ago.  of course ours couldn't fly in the air pressure of 100,000 ft.  or fly autonomously as necessary as the speed of light isn't fast enough for direct human input feedback control.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:
47 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

It was an incredibly important moment I'm the history of media as it brought out the true power of media to spread even false threats - fake news.  It was not intentionally meant to be fake news but it effectively was and taken as that. Like it or not, modern media is incredibly effective.

As I’ve stated to others, since the beginning of time, there’s always been bad things going on.  Humanity didn’t know or learn about it till sometime later, unless you were there as it transpired.

Since the days of Wm Randolph Hearst (just as a timeframe example providing opportunities to disseminate stuff, true or false), media technology has continually increased to where nowadays we learn of ugliness and all (again true or false) nearly instantly.

Seems as though there’s so much more ugliness in the world than in days gone by. 

Or does it seem so because the world population has increased, providing more opportunities for ugliness, along with us learning about it all (true or false) via instant mass media transmission?

Very powerful and very effective indeed!! 

Regardless, go little Mars drone buddy !!:)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ugliness has always been present...

The media guys had a way to control its spread...

They had a way to print it, on the least popular page of their paper...

It often got missed... it surely didn’t get promoted...

The helicopter on Mars has made four flights...

Altitude: 16’

Distance 400+’

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/297/ingenuity-completes-its-fourth-flight/

-a-

48 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Ugliness has always been present...

The media guys had a way to control its spread...

They had a way to print it, on the least popular page of their paper...

It often got missed... it surely didn’t get promoted...

The helicopter on Mars has made four flights...

Altitude: 16’

Distance 400+’

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/status/297/ingenuity-completes-its-fourth-flight/

-a-

That's the last flight, right?  I thought I remember reading the plan was to do four demonstration flights, and then shut it down to let Perseverance continue with its mission.

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

That's the last flight, right?  I thought I remember reading the plan was to do four demonstration flights, and then shut it down to let Perseverance continue with its mission.

That was direct from the NASA person that was leading the helicopter ops...

they encountered one issue... that required a programming change...

Hard to tell what is in the schedule...  what the priorities are... finding things... O2 production... recharging the batteries?

Amazing that it all stays in the usual news...

Best regards,

-a-