Avidyne IFD540 with KI 209A CDI

Rusty Pilot

I am working on my instrument training now and have an Avidyne IFD540 with a King KI 209A CDI and I don't know how to get my CDI to receive GPS information from the IFD.  I see the button on top right and put that in GPS mode, but I am still seeing my CDI only receive from my Nav2.  Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can provide.

If the CDI is wired to NAV2 and the IFD is NAV1, you'll need an external switch to select between them.   This assumes the CDI is compatible with the IFD, which I don't know if it is or not.  If the IFD not driving an HSI or CDI or something?   

55 minutes ago, EricJ said:

If the CDI is wired to NAV2 and the IFD is NAV1, you'll need an external switch to select between them.   This assumes the CDI is compatible with the IFD, which I don't know if it is or not.  If the IFD not driving an HSI or CDI or something?   

Eric, thanks.  It seems my current CDI is hardwired to my Navcom2 with my KX155 and not connected to IFD540.  I plan to add another CDI GI 106A wired to my Avidyne.  

36 minutes ago, Rusty Pilot said:

I plan to add another CDI GI 106A wired to my Avidyne.  

No offense, but this is a terrible idea in my mind. I'd replace the DG with an HSI. Have that wired up to your Avidyne. Next to an autopilot, nothing makes IFR flying quite as easy as an HSI.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

No offense, but this is a terrible idea in my mind. I'd replace the DG with an HSI. Have that wired up to your Avidyne. Next to an autopilot, nothing makes IFR flying quite as easy as an HSI.

Thanks, I was considering an HSI.  I will reach out to my installer.

Just now, Rusty Pilot said:

You might look on Barnstormers or Beechtalk for a used one. Or you could go G5 for a new one. It's a game changer for an IFR student and new IFR pilot.

BTW... I love my Avidyne navigator!

• Like 1

Once you fly an HSI, you will never want to go back. On a VFR only plane ot doesnt matter, but in IFR, it makes everything so easy. 

Dual g5s are the way.

Edited by Niko182
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Rusty Pilot said:

Since you have the Avidyne, a G5 is a really good choice for an HSI installation.    I have a G5 HSI with my IFD540 and it's a great pairing.    You get vertical guidance and a lot more.

+1 HSI for IFR flight...

+1 GI 275 if able... it is a pay more and get more kind of thing...

Set up a thread to discuss your IR training...  you can get some pretty awesome feedback...

Or adjust this thread’s title a bit...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danad said:

Still not sure why someone would put in an Avidyne and not connect it to a nav head of some kind. Maybe a panel pic and we can help you find an unmarked switch?

I confirmed with my installer and review of his schematics.  It was a matter of me knowing less than I should have a few years ago.  Here is a picture of my panel.  The 209A is only connected to the KX155.  

Panel 7104V.jpg

• Like 1

So with your panel, the fastest to continue your IR training would be a Nav selector switch and the shop might be able to squeeze you into their schedule. Next fastest would be a stand alone nav-head, maybe do a cheap LOC only for your Nav 2 and have the Avidyne output to the current KI 209A. But, I agree with the other posters: dual G5s would be a sweet and more future proof solve to your current navigation problem, thought at a non-trivial cost.

• Like 1

Consider...

Going with a second nav head... 

For IR training you might need to determine you have arrived at an intersection of two radials...

It really helps to be able to see two radials at the same time....

The color graphics on the GPS are nice... they show the intersections really well...

But, it depends on how dependent you want to be on that one box...

The waas GPS/VOR/ILS box can drive a similar nav head/ILS like you have... or an HSI like you want...

Nothing would be nicer than to have two methods to get to the ground in IMC...

ILS is one, the WAAS GPS is the other....

The two independent systems is purely for back-up....  so a second vertical guidance head should be considered...

PP thoughts only, not a CFII....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1