Original M18 debut brochure.

Kevin Harberg

• 3 months later...

The above brochure shows the 1st production M-18 model (which used the Crosley automobile engine and a 3 belt drive reduction unit). This M-18 had the P-51 style belly mounted radiator. The take-off and climb performance was marginal and the M-18 suffered from powerplant reliability using the auto engine conversion. Although eleven of these were sent to aircraft distributors across the United States, all were returned to Mooney to receive the Lycoming 0-145 upgrade (more than doubling the little single place airplane's horsepower). Altitude, range, and speed records for production aircraft of this weight class were achieved as a result of this upgrade. This was the start of Mooney's attention grabbing fame. Speed records continue to fall with the Mooney M-20 aircraft based on this design.

Shown below is the M-18 prototype. (It used a 4 belt drive reduction unit and had a forward mounted radiator).

1st Prototype.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/18/2021 at 3:30 PM, aviatoreb said:

Safe - does that mean the M18 came with a parachute?

No, but it came with the wig-wag gear position indicator!  
Apparently that was not affective either, as I know one fellow that geared up his Mite regardless! 

I still say we need a wig-wag type of system that reaches out and whaps you on the forehead, reminding you to lower the gear ! :lol:

Or maybe even a dog collar shocking type device !  :lol: :lol:

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

No, but it came with the wig-wag gear position indicator!  
Apparently that was not affective either, as I know one fellow that geared up his Mite regardless! 

I still say we need a wig-wag type of system that reaches out and whaps you on the forehead, reminding you to lower the gear ! :lol:

Or maybe even a dog collar shocking type device !  :lol: :lol:

You know - I wonder why we don't make a system that skips the middle man.  (I am the middle man - the pilot).  Why not connect that radar altimetry audio warning system that gives call outs at altitudes - 50 ft, 20 ft, 10 ft, 5 ft, 3ft....  why not have it just connect directly to the gear switch and let it put the gear down automatically with some logic that may know that if you are gradually descending through those altitudes in a profile that looks like a landing gradient approach to landing - just automatically put the gear down.

Ok ok, I know sometimes you may not want to put the gear down - a low pass - or maybe an emergency landing in a corn field or water, etc.... so then the system instead of warning "gear is not down" as it does not - can instead say - putting gear down automatically in 3 seconds - and you need to press a button to prevent it from putting the gear down automatically.

E

• Like 1

Seems like checklists provide our only reliable safety net, however it relies on us aviators to remember to initiate and perform the checklist. Al Mooney increased gear position awareness (after his gear up landing in the M-18) through the introduction of the Wig Wag device. In addition, 1953 and later M-18 models had a round window covered in plexiglass on the nose wheel "bump". If the Wig Wag didn't catch your attention, you were supposed to look between your legs to visually check actual gear position visible through the window on the nose wheel well. None of it works without performing the task. "G_U_M_P" also works great if you remember to do it!

The best I have seen is the toggle switch checklist now sold by Missionary Bush Pilot. This device mounts on top of the dash with Velcro, and allows you to toggle "UP" through the checklist as you complete pre-takeoff to cruise phases of checks, and toggle "DOWN" as you complete each pre-landing check. He will make custom units for all makes and models of aircraft. It is difficult to forget to perform your checklists when you can't avoid seeing the unit when looking out the windshield.

Alas, the Mooney Mite didn't come with a dash to mount one on.

G_U_M_P ! ! !

NB: You can see this device in use by viewing "Missionary Bush Pilot" videos on YouTube. Ryan (the host), pilots a Kodiak through the remotely settled regions of Papua New Guinea. Great scenery and a good source of watching cockpit management skills in action. 

• Like 1