Ordering new glass...

FloridaMan

Looking at going with the SC gray in OEM thickness with oversized windows for both the pilot side and the door. Any experiences with these options and concerns? This is for the rocket. I always thought my m20f had clear windows, but holding the samples next to them, they appear to have slight tint like the SC windows. 

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

You can get the rear windows in extra dark tint:

1b6ceeb72e3b6294c0bd4bb9238667ec.jpg

Is that worth doing? And can you post more pics of your plane? Also, is that gray or SC gray up front? The front windows look darker than the windows in my F. 

Edited by FloridaMan

I would go dark as you can in the back, especially since your down South., I’d also go as thick as you can for the windshield, going to a thick windshield can really quieten things down, and is good for birds too.

Actual clear is uncommon, my C-140 door windows are clear as I made them, the windshield looks clear but if you put a white piece of paper behind it you can see it’s slightly green.

‘I personally don’t like the green, smoke is much better in my opinion.

‘when looking at a airplane, often your looking through two windows so it looks darker than it is.

Edited by A64Pilot

54 minutes ago, FloridaMan said:

Looking at going with the SC gray in OEM thickness with oversized windows for both the pilot side and the door. Any experiences with these options and concerns? This is for the rocket. I always thought my m20f had clear windows, but holding the samples next to them, they appear to have slight tint like the SC windows. 

I just replaced my Ovation windscreen recently with an SC grey (UV) variety in OEM thickness.  You can do the rear windows in dark, but apparently not the pilot side window or door window from GLAP.  I believe SC Grey is the darkest you can go on those two.

http://www.glapinc.com/Mooney/m20K.htm

Is that worth doing? And can you post more pics of your plane? Also, is that gray or SC gray up front? The front windows look darker than the windows in my F. 

It’s just gray, if I flew in the flight levels maybe I would have gone for the SC. From inside it’s not a big difference:
3d1666fdc86e2b182ecca663b4c02790.jpg
I use car screens to provide extra protection from the sun, you can see the edge of one in the rear window.

But outside it looks good:
5632c625de6a0390c77c3a95882edbe5.jpg

• 2 years later...

Thicker windshield is often more work to install, often requires a new retainer strip, but the one or two that I have installed I went with a new retainer anyway. I’m not an Airframe guy, licensed of course but avoid sheet metal work, have always had better than me accessible. 

Probably controversial but I go back with small screws not rivets, not much less work but I think the next guy will thank me.

Nothing except maybe Lexan will stop a Turkey Vulture, actually Buzzard I think, even had one come through or it’s insides through an AH-64 windshield in Central Tx and those windshields are laminated glass like an automobile windshield. But the thicker windshield will keep lesser birds from breaking one, but the real value is a quieter airplane.

God forbid but if you ever get one in the face there is a very real possibility of a serious infection that could even have you lose your eyes, so sayeth the 6th Cav flt surgeon anyway. So go to the Dr immediately even if you have no or minor injuries.

I think a thicker windshield does more to quieten an airplane than a three blade prop does.

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, Marc_B said:

@FloridaMan did you wind up replacing your windows? Any feedback on the copilot vent and the oversized window vents? Pics?

Just saw this; I actually kindof prefer the smaller window and thinner windows to the thicker ones; I feel the oversized vents restrict the view with the latches a bit more than I'd like. I haven't tried sticking my dick out the window yet with the bigger ones; if I can pull that off, then maybe they'll be worth it. I don't have the agility to make it work with the smaller windows and I feel that trying it with the door is just asking for it. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1