G3X OAT probe

PT20J

Probably all over the place, but make sure you agree with your shop.  My jpi probe is about a foot out the left wing, 6” behind the leading edge on the bottom.  Seems like a good place, shaded, outside prop wash, not near exhaust.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Probably all over the place, but make sure you agree with your shop.  My jpi probe is about a foot out the left wing, 6” behind the leading edge on the bottom.  Seems like a good place, shaded, outside prop wash, not near exhaust.

That's where my new JPI OAT probe is too, except on the right wing.  I'm not sure where the G5 OAT probe is but it reads 20 degrees hotter (!) so I am talking to my shop about relocating it.

• Like 1

I mounted my GAD 13 on the rack in the back and put the Davtron CP307S on the inspection panel shown with the red X.image.thumb.png.d3fc9347280d35088806d73c91b5b412.png

I have my GMU 11, Gad 29B and GAD13 all mounted in the tail so putting it their made the most sense. Also the location is in lighting zone 2A per the STC.

Mooney standardized a location for OAT... under the wing, in an inspection panel as described above...

A bit extra work to run the wire that far out...

The two key benefits are....

• No extra heat from the cowl area shows up...
  • No extra heat from the sun shows up...

The most important part for accuracy... is when you are flying in icing conditions and you want to be out of them... every degree of accuracy counts...

PP thoughts only, not a weatherman...

Best regards,

-a-

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Mooney standardized a location for OAT... under the wing, in an inspection panel as described above...

A bit extra work to run the wire that far out...

The two key benefits are....

• No extra heat from the cowl area shows up...
  • No extra heat from the sun shows up...

The most important part for accuracy... is when you are flying in icing conditions and you want to be out of them... every degree of accuracy counts...

PP thoughts only, not a weatherman...

Best regards,

-a-

Good point - I completely forgot there is a factory-mounted probe since I never look at the difficult-to-read analog gauge. I hate having unused stuff hanging around - I’ll see about mounting it where the factory probe is.

Skip

• Like 1

I mounted my GAD 13 on the rack in the back and put the Davtron CP307S on the inspection panel shown with the red X.image.thumb.png.d3fc9347280d35088806d73c91b5b412.png
I have my GMU 11, Gad 29B and GAD13 all mounted in the tail so putting it their made the most sense. Also the location is in lighting zone 2A per the STC.

I believe the factory temperature probes are on inspection plates #12, right side.
  • Like 1

A funny thing - I just had a pair of GI275's installed including an OAT probe.  They chose a location and they chose on the belly toward the tail.  Well now it reads correctly on the ground, but in flight it reads about 20C too hot!  Its clear what is happening.  The narrow stream of air from the exhaust stack must be rolling along the bottom of the plane right across the temp probe.  Argh - oh well I am scheduled to return and have them relocate it.

14 hours ago, ZuluZulu said:

That's where my new JPI OAT probe is too, except on the right wing.  I'm not sure where the G5 OAT probe is but it reads 20 degrees hotter (!) so I am talking to my shop about relocating it.

A few people have said their shop mounted the probe in the fresh air intake on the left or right cowl.  It’s easy to wire there but not great for accuracy.

You can just look in those and see it if it’s there.

Edited by Ragsf15e

Avoiding the exhaust plume and engine heat seem to be prime considerations. I think mounting it in the location of the factory probe is best: Presumably Mooney gave some thought to this location and it avoids having the old  probe left in the airplane.

Skip

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Avoiding the exhaust plume and engine heat seem to be prime considerations. I think mounting it in the location of the factory probe is best: Presumably Mooney gave some thought to this location and it avoids having the old  probe left in the airplane.

Skip

Definitely.  While you’re doing this, the less probes, antenna, etc, the better.  No need to make it look like a porcupine!

I’ve seen a temp probe mounted inside the cabin eyeball wemac vent scoop, just near the passengers/pilots knee before.  When I saw that installation- I couldn’t help but think that it might read warmer than ambient.  Interesting idea for mounting a temp probe though. (Definitely not a recommendation!)

I’ve seen a temp probe mounted inside the cabin eyeball wemac vent scoop, just near the passengers/pilots knee before.  When I saw that installation- I couldn’t help but think that it might read warmer than ambient.

With JPI settings you can adjust the temperature settings to compensate for this.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:45 AM, Ragsf15e said:

A few people have said their shop mounted the probe in the fresh air intake on the left or right cowl.  It’s easy to wire there but not great for accuracy.

You can just look in those and see it if it’s there.

My G5 probe is in the left cowl. Other than a little hot at ground/run ups. Can't say I've noticed anything off while in flight.

8 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

My G5 probe is in the left cowl. Other than a little hot at ground/run ups. Can't say I've noticed anything off while in flight.

Do you have another temp gauge to compare it to?  Even a few degrees is going to make a difference depending on what you’re using it for.  If it’s just there so you get a TAS readout on your G5 and you don’t use it to determine icing potential, it’s probably ok.

• Like 1

I mounted mine under the left wing, second access port on front edge.  In flight it shows about 6C below the Aspen which is mounted on top of the cabin.  It causes the Aspen and G5 to disagree on TAS by 5-10 knots depending on temperature difference which also affects the wind calculation.  I assume this is due to sun heating the top sensor - now that I am writing this, I will check that theory in the hanger and the next time there is cloud cover or instrument conditions.

• Like 1