MYSTERIOUS AUTOPILOT

I bought my M20C two years ago and this odd little autopilot sits down behind the J-bar and flap pump handle.  Its labeled "Mooney".  No documentation on the thing at all.  The AP works--with a little drifting and gentle s-turns.

Its obvious a one-axis AP and I'm thinking its a Century I retro-fit item (AK-319), but I'm finding a paucity of information on it, and just don't know.  Reading the Century I Manual, the controls and feature are very similar, but very different too.  The heading knob on it is a mystery.   I put an e-mail into Century describing the instrument and never got any word back from them.  Supposedly, the Century I had a "retro-fit" model and I can't find any information about that kit--called the AK-319.   I can't find any photos of this autopilot or any documentation to verify who manufactured it.  Its an all electric system, which rules out Britton, but unlike most Century I autopilots, I don't have a Century I turn coordinator.  Yes, my turn/slip instrument is electric, but there's no control knob on it, and its not branded as a Century gauge.  Just behind our baggage compartment, in the tail, there is an electric gyro instrument, which seems as if it s part of the autopilot system.  A warning label on this electric gyro warns against avoid any shocks or blows to the instrument.  I'm lost and was hoping someone in the community might provide some information on this.

I'd like to I.D. the device, obtain a manual for it and provide any sort of service the unit calls for.  Short of pulling the servo to look for a manufacturer, I don't know what else to do.  Even the electric gyro in the tail doesn't have a branding on it.

Help!

132.JPG

129 (2).JPG

Edited by Toothdok50
to add photo of T&B inst.

ARC Avionics made them for Mooney just before Brittain.  I think they were for 62 and 63 model years.  Company is no longer, they were part of Cessna for some time.  If it wanders, it may just need a gain adjustment, which is on the back.  Have not found books on line, my friend had a hard copy that he used to get his going straight, but a little trial and error once screw may do it, 1/4 turn one way or the other.

Oh....and you set the heading knob to the heading you want it to fly.  Think of it like a remote heading bug.  So, turn the left knob to heading and turn the dial to desired heading.  If you want a wing leveler, pull out the center knob and center is a leveler and turning it will turn the aircraft.  Turn to Omni and track the connected VOR or GPS.

Thanks all for the help.  ARC is certainly the manufacturer based on the provided manual download.  I've done a lot of searching on the web and it was fruitless.  We're really fortunate to have Mooneyspace a lot of great members who are willing to share their knowledge.  Its one reason I gladly support the site financially.  Great resource...

Kudo to Racedrager1977!

• Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 8:03 AM, Toothdok50 said:

Thanks all for the help.  ARC is certainly the manufacturer based on the provided manual download.  I've done a lot of searching on the web and it was fruitless.  We're really fortunate to have Mooneyspace a lot of great members who are willing to share their knowledge.  Its one reason I gladly support the site financially.  Great resource...

Kudo to Racedrager1977!

Great pirep for MS Td50!

I’ll let Craig @mooniac58 know your thoughts...  :)

Best regards,

-a-