Looking for Ovations!

dvk

Hello everyone!

We are proud owners of a 1962 Mooney M20C. The plane is in excellent shape, but it seems to be that it's time to get something bigger and faster.

Then, we are looking for an Ovation 1 or 2.

I came across this particular listing today:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20R+OVATION2+GX&listing_id=2393222&s-type=aircraft

Has anybody did any research on that particular plane?

It seems to be that the market is really difficult these days, many of the publications are already "under contract".

Thanks!

Many new buyers and people trying to move up right now.  Know exactly what you want in a plane, call quickly and try to get digital logs sent over, hop in the C and put eyes on the plane, lock it down if everything looks good, have a extensive prebuy done, and enjoy 310 hp launching you down the runway.

• Like 3

That is a very interesting question. Is it that expensive to upgrade a G1000?

In any case, we live and fly in Argentina, so I think we don't have WAAS coverage.

But of course it will be very interesting to know that detail in order to evaluate the asking price.

• Like 1

WAAS for GPS accuracy...

ADSB for tracking and weather and traffic...

That Ovation probably has a list of 30 things you want to know about...

It looks like they just put three pics up there to get started...

WAAS accuracy is important for the latest in vertical guidance... Procedures, of course, will depend on your local version of the FAA..

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Well, the (non-existent) WAAS coverage and the procedures of the local equivalent of the FAA represent less constraints for sure. In any case, it's important to evaluate these concerns to price the airplane, but it won't be a problem for us if the upgrade wasn't done.

Edited by dvk
  • Like 1

There are a few Ovations at home in South America...

The most interesting thing of their plane’s brief description... is it got updated to the 310hp set up of the O3...

If you haven’t flown an O3 powered Ovation...

Use financial caution...

It is hard to say no... within a few days of flying one...   :)

It has all the performance you would want,  without needing any special instrumentation to measure it...

An ordinary seat of the pants is all it takes...

Fun memories that are 10 years old already...

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

There are a few Ovations at home in South America...
The most interesting thing of their plane’s brief description... is it got updated to the 310hp set up of the O3...
If you haven’t flown an O3 powered Ovation...
Use financial caution...
It is hard to say no... within a few days of flying one...   
It has all the performance you would want,  without needing any special instrumentation to measure it...
An ordinary seat of the pants is all it takes...
Fun memories that are 10 years old already...
Go O!
Best regards,
-a-

One thing to keep in mind is that any future G1000 upgrade might require waas as part of the upgrade path. I think this was a requirement for both Cessna and Beech when they rolled out the upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no opinions on the plane, but I bought plane in September, it was a 3rd plane I called about. If I were you, I would call the seller, and based on the call I would decide whether you want to pursue it or not. Then if yes, offer deposit, conditional on whatever terms you deem reasonable. 

If I didn’t offer the deposit at the end of the first call, I would not own my plane. It’s sellers markets, good planes last less than 24 hours on the barnstormers.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it was my experience. Best of luck!

If the plane doesn’t have WAAS your SOL. Garmin no longer sells the WAAS upgrade. Looks like a nice O2. A/C. 310 STC. Low time. Looking at outdated ‘for sale’ ads for this plane WAAS wasn’t listed. That could have changed. 

9 hours ago, dominikos said:

no opinions on the plane, but I bought plane in September, it was a 3rd plane I called about. If I were you, I would call the seller, and based on the call I would decide whether you want to pursue it or not. Then if yes, offer deposit, conditional on whatever terms you deem reasonable. 

If I didn’t offer the deposit at the end of the first call, I would not own my plane. It’s sellers markets, good planes last less than 24 hours on the barnstormers.

Take it with a grain of salt, but it was my experience. Best of luck!

Thanks for sharing that experience, very helpful!

3 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

If the plane doesn’t have WAAS your SOL. Garmin no longer sells the WAAS upgrade. Looks like a nice O2. A/C. 310 STC. Low time. Looking at outdated ‘for sale’ ads for this plane WAAS wasn’t listed. That could have changed. 

We will check if that changed or not. And in case not, it will be a good negotiation point. Thanks for your help!

10 minutes ago, kmyfm20s said:

Bummer, even though you might not need it you will have to deal with it when you go to sell the plane. 

Well, the plane will be registered in Argentina, and we don't expect support for WAAS soon (and if we sell it, it will be sold in Argentina). So it depends on for how long we have it and how that standard evolves in South America.

In any case, it's an opportunity for us because it's something that we don't need, but at the same time it decreases the value significantly.

Edited by dvk
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, dvk said:

Well, the plane will be registered in Argentina, and we don't expect support for WAAS soon (and if we sell it, it will be sold in Argentina). So it depends on for how long we have it and how that standard evolves in South America.

In any case, it's an opportunity for us because it's something that we don't need, but at the same time it decreases the value significantly.

They are amazing planes! You will not be disappointed!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Dawson said:

From what I've heard of the proposed price of the WAAS upgrade you could be on your way to replace that panel with something more modern and utilitarian such as a GTN75xi, and G3X or G500xi then tie them into your autopilot 

That's never going to happen with that plane.  It was certified with the G1000 and that can't be changed.

Agree with Don. There is an interesting lesson here: Airframes last for decades. Modern avionics have a half life of 10-20 years. It’s not a good long-term proposition to have the airplane certification include avionics.

From the G3X STC AML:

httpsstatic.garmin.compumacsa01899wi_aml_2_pdf.thumb.png.999dab3d3ee0ff90f60db769f07664e9.png564996859_httpsstatic.garmin.compumacsa01899wi_aml_2_pdf2.thumb.png.593dc9510a5430c37d4acf30f209acd2.png

This is the perfect situation for a non WAAS G1000 Mooney. Buy it at a significant discount because the owner wouldn't step up and buy the WAAS upgrade back when it was available. SWTA did the first WAAS upgrade in a G1000 Mooney back in 2016, so it's been around awhile and the owner had plenty of time to get it done. But he didn't, and now the Ovation will take a huge hit on the value.

Then the buyer will take it home and register it in Argentina where WAAS isn't available anyway and the Ovation will live out it's days in an area where WAAS isn't an issue.

Win, Win, if you ask me.

• Like 6