FS: NEW WAT 908525D Lower LED Teardrop Beacon Light for Later Model Mooneys

I now have available the 908525D red LED anti-collision light with a 5 hole mount that is tear drop shaped for later model Mooneys that are looking for an LED upgrade. These lights have an 8 week lead time but I have them ready to ship today. The part number is 01-0790852-5D.

You can purchase it off my website here https://www.gallagheraviationllc.com/whelen-aircraft-lighting.html

Call me at 1-833-425-5288

Email me at gallagheraviationllc@gmail.com

90852LEDBeacon.jpg

90852.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 9:08 PM, StevenL757 said:

This is a great light.  Almost looks like a direct replacement for 90033...the original red flashing incandescent beacon on many Mooneys right from the factory.

Yes and they normally have an 8 week lead time so whenever someone needs one, I have it! 

• 8 months later...

Trying to understand the pro's of changing the beacon...my aircraft had LEDs installed but the original beacon was left as were the recog lights.  I can hear it in the radio if you listen close and cycle on or off.  Do the Whelen LEDs have the same "signature"?  Is there a significant weight difference between the stock and Whelen beacon assemblies?

I would imagine that the difference in bulb longevity and visibility would be real.

Marc.

W

9 hours ago, Marc_B said:

Trying to understand the pro's of changing the beacon...my aircraft had LEDs installed but the original beacon was left as were the recog lights.  I can hear it in the radio if you listen close and cycle on or off.  Do the Whelen LEDs have the same "signature"?  Is there a significant weight difference between the stock and Whelen beacon assemblies?

I would imagine that the difference in bulb longevity and visibility would be real.

Marc.

Whelen LED lights do not emit radio frequency interference but if the light is not properly grounded you can sometimes hear it in the headest. You should ground it to the battery or the bus, not to the airframe, which can cause attenuation. The older lighting technology was pretty noisy stuff. So, LED lights are brighter, more reliable, last longer, look better, draw less power, do not emit RFI, and sometimes weight less than legacy lighting.

• 4 months later...

I have two of these 908525D LED beacon lights in stock and ready for shipping. I will work to ensure I have at least that many on the shelf at any given time so I can support Mooney aircraft that need this beacon. 

W
Whelen LED lights do not emit radio frequency interference but if the light is not properly grounded you can sometimes hear it in the headest. You should ground it to the battery or the bus, not to the airframe, which can cause attenuation. The older lighting technology was pretty noisy stuff. So, LED lights are brighter, more reliable, last longer, look better, draw less power, do not emit RFI, and sometimes weight less than legacy lighting.

I have Whelen’s all the way around on my plane. One complaint I have is the lens cover on my original Parmethesus PAR 46 landing light has cracked twice. Whelen stepped up and replaced the lens cover the first time it cracked within the first year. It has cracked again. Is the lens cover available to purchase? And more importantly, is this a common problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

I have Whelen’s all the way around on my plane. One complaint I have is the lens cover on my original Parmethesus PAR 46 landing light has cracked twice. Whelen stepped up and replaced the lens cover the first time it cracked within the first year. It has cracked again. Is the lens cover available to purchase? And more importantly, is this a common problem?

Get the lens cover stc from ari : Aero Resources Inc

put it on birdy  just for this purpose.  also i swear it makes the plane .00001 kt faster

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marauder said:

I have replacement PAR-46 lenses in stock for $36.

For the first and second generation Parmetheus the lens is replceable because they do wear out over time. Especially on the nose where there is a lot of vibration and right behind the prop. I have the same issue with my Parmetheus on my nose gear. The newer G3 has a thicker lens but it is not replaceable.

• Like 1

I have replacement PAR-46 lenses in stock for $36.

For the first and second generation Parmetheus the lens is replceable because they do wear out over time. Especially on the nose where there is a lot of vibration and right behind the prop. I have the same issue with my Parmetheus on my nose gear. The newer G3 has a thicker lens but it is not replaceable.

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was a vibration or heat issue causing it to crack (I leave the light on the ground and anywhere below cruise altitude).

Have there been any reports of the newer lights cracking? I’m pretty sure mine has cracked both times within a year.

A friend just installed an AeroLed light. Do you sell these as well?

Get the lens cover stc from ari : Aero Resources Inc
put it on birdy  just for this purpose.  also i swear it makes the plane .00001 kt faster

I couldn’t get your link to open. I’m always game for a .00001 knot speed mod.

I suspect the link you provided is for a cover to go over the light. I’m pretty sure nothing is impacting the light since it is cracking in the same place.

f71e8e26fd2175c80a0b552d65382630.jpg

9 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Thanks. I wasn’t sure if it was a vibration or heat issue causing it to crack (I leave the light on the ground and anywhere below cruise altitude).

Have there been any reports of the newer lights cracking? I’m pretty sure mine has cracked both times within a year.

A friend just installed an AeroLed light. Do you sell these as well?

Probably more vibration because the Parmetheus does not emit a lot of heat. Really high powered LED lamps tend to overdrive the diodes and if they do not have good thermal management built into them (a good heat sink on the back), they will dim when they heat up. AeroLED is particularly bad at this. The problem is that you can't have a huge heat sink on the back or they wont fit into the aircraft. WAT is coming out with the new G3 PAR-46 that is 2.5 times brighter than the Parmetheus Plus. They do overdrive the diodes (not quite extreme like AeroLED) but with airflow from the prop it should counter that. It has a thicker lens too. Price wise, I have them for $399 compared to $750 AeroLED comparable performance.

image.jpeg.2893ec0784be88f27f3e0a38a14810ff.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I couldn’t get your link to open. I’m always game for a .00001 knot speed mod. emoji23.png

I suspect the link you provided is for a cover to go over the light. I’m pretty sure nothing is impacting the light since it is cracking in the same place.

f71e8e26fd2175c80a0b552d65382630.jpg

That's all vibration induced IMO.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Airways said:

What’s the correct LED alternative for the coffee-grinder belly beacon on an M20K ?

Any beacon with a 3.75" base will work and make sure to drill a 1/8" hole in the lens to allow the drainage of any kind of accumulated moisture. I have four beacons that will work. Two are all red and two are split red and white ranging from $627.99 to $699.99. Pricing is good through September 26th and then pricing goes up 5%-10% depending on the product. I'm sorry, I can't keep eating these major cost increases that have been pushed on my in June. This particular beacon, the 908525D will not be increased in price.

Mooney_Lighting_2.jpg

IMG_2852 2.jpg

45 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Can the teardrop one be installed on a 1886 252 M20K without major headaches?

Here are the installation instructions. You are going to have to cut a hole in the airplane to do the installation.

If you do not have a belly beacon, I recommend installing a round LED beacon with a 2.5" base. With that, you aren't drilling any major holes in the fuselage other than holes for bolts or screws and an access point for wiring. Much more simple surgery.

90852_LED_Beacon_InstallationInstructions.pdf

But not as streamlined :D

I need to crawl under and see what is there.  If there was something that was removed.

In case anyone is wondering, I like the concept of beacon on before starting to warn people.  And secondly, if you just leave it on, when you walk away the flashing beacon will tell you that you left the master on. :D

1 minute ago, Pinecone said:

In case anyone is wondering, I like the concept of beacon on before starting to warn people.  And secondly, if you just leave it on, when you walk away the flashing beacon will tell you that you left the master on. :D

That is exactly how I operate my Bonanza. 

• 1 month later...

I don't think the Whelen installation sheet was very informative of ways to install the beacon and my shop installed with the mounting brackets.  1) I'd recommend the mounting bracket be painted while off the aircraft.  2) From the picture above it looks like you could potentially flush mount without the bracket.  The old beacon had a gasket and only 2 mounting screws.  So I need to clean this up, but the LED is WAY brighter than the previous bulb. (my belly is way dirtier than I thought judging from the pic!)

Marc.

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

5 minutes ago, Marc_B said:

I don't think the Whelen installation sheet was very informative of ways to install the beacon and my shop installed with the mounting brackets.  1) I'd recommend the mounting bracket be painted while off the aircraft.  2) From the picture above it looks like you could potentially flush mount without the bracket.  The old beacon had a gasket and only 2 mounting screws.  So I need to clean this up, but the LED is WAY brighter than the previous bulb. (my belly is way dirtier than I thought judging from the pic!)

Marc.

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

Thank you for the feedback Marc. I'm wondering if you can install it so the plate is on the inside of the fuselage? The photo above with the flush mount was done by a prior customer a couple years ago (I can't remember exactly who) so I am really curious how they did it. The Whelen instructions are not very thorough because these beacons are found on several other different aircraft like Kingairs and Aerostars. Model specific instruction, well, we're going to have to figure it out unfortunately.