If you were in the Mooney Biz?

Jocbay

2 minutes ago, JoeFFG9 said:

Bonanza, Cirrus, Diamond, Mooney, Pipistrel, etc. - it doesn't matter - new high performance complex single engine aircraft are more and more unaffordable by historical measures.

but Cirrus still managed to sell 420 total aircraft in 2020.  There is still a market for these type of new aircraft. If Mooney was able to build aircraft efficiently / competitively and make somewhat of a profit, they would still be in business.

Mooney should make lots of noise about the safety of the steel roll cage. They should also make lots of noise about the glide ratio of their airplanes. Then make a lot of noise about the blue "level off" button and the safety it provides. This would be in direct counterpoint to Cirrus' shouting "parachute! parachute! Give up control and float gently down under a parachute!". Maybe explain that the floating is at the mercy of the winds, some parachutes have not deployed when fired, and the "gentle landing" is at 35 mph vertical speed . . . .

Bonanza, Cirrus, Diamond, Mooney, Pipistrel, etc. - it doesn't matter - new high performance complex single engine aircraft are more and more unaffordable by historical measures.

but Cirrus still managed to sell 420 total aircraft in 2020.  There is still a market for these type of new aircraft. If Mooney was able to build aircraft efficiently / competitively and make somewhat of a profit, they would still be in business.
How much did Cirrus profit in making those airplanes? Serious question, just because the Chinese are selling airplanes doesn't mean it's profitable.

Once a plane, and thus all it's parts, are certified; how much more expensive is it to produce those parts than the same "uncertified" parts.  I see@Jeph357post on the G5 and am wondering how much of the increase is FAA paperwork and how much is "'caus they can"?  I'm betting the units are the same save for some software differences.

Then there's the liability issue.  Can't you build a company that has no assets and thus effectively sheds it's liability?  Morals not withstanding.

Idk, just a thought.  Seems if the planes are already certified, and much simpler to build than an SUV; you ought to get one out the door for a couple hundred amus.  

By the way, I'd be building M20Js if I were in the Mooney biz.