Interesting comment in the IPC

Will.iam

Was looking to see where teflon tape is used and stumbled across this statement in the wing landing light section. Thought it was funny they listed K-Mart as an acceptable part supplier for #49102. Unfortunately I couldn’t seem to locate where part 49102 goes but assumed it was an alternate reflective mirror for the landing light. 

A237EB6B-3325-432E-B0A2-1C021887326C.jpeg

• Like 1

Let us know if you find an official use of Teflon tape in a Mooney...

I believe there is at least one place... but, don’t recall what it was...

It would most likely have to be an NPT type of thread... (National Pipe Thread, conical in shape)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Also a kmart in Marathon Florida.

Apparently it is closing as well.  For those interested in the fate of K-mart and Sears...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellisicky/2021/03/27/kmart-and-sears-spend-another-friday-evening-closing-more-stores/?sh=593f8c4830c6

10 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

Apparently it is closing as well.  For those interested in the fate of K-mart and Sears...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaellisicky/2021/03/27/kmart-and-sears-spend-another-friday-evening-closing-more-stores/?sh=593f8c4830c6

Eddie Lampert is what happened to Sears and K-mart.   He was assisted in demolishing them (at great personal profit) by his partner Steven Mnuchin.

I recently replaced the overhead speaker in my airplane.   The IPC lists either a Blaupunkt part number or a Realistic (Radio Shack) as replacements.    Neither are available any more, the Blaupunkt just because they don't make that old crap any more and the Realistic because, well, Radio Shack.   The one that was in there that got replaced was a Realistic, and I'm assuming it was original.

There are a bunch of parts in airplanes that are mundane off-the-shelf stuff.   A lot of it is no longer available just due to time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Eddie Lampert is what happened to Sears and K-mart.   He was assisted in demolishing them (at great personal profit) by his partner Steven Mnuchin.

I recently replaced the overhead speaker in my airplane.   The IPC lists either a Blaupunkt part number or a Realistic (Radio Shack) as replacements.    Neither are available any more, the Blaupunkt just because they don't make that old crap any more and the Realistic because, well, Radio Shack.   The one that was in there that got replaced was a Realistic, and I'm assuming it was original.

There are a bunch of parts in airplanes that are mundane off-the-shelf stuff.   A lot of it is no longer available just due to time.

Wow.  That reminds me- last year I found a NOS 1960's overhead aircraft speaker online.   Bought it immediately, and replaced the modern, dual cone, 2 lb magnetic monster that someone had put in with NOS!   With great satisfaction, saved at least a pound of UL.  Minor victory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

I was always amused by the Radio Shack Realistic brand. What were they trying to communicate? Not quite real, but realistic enough?

Skip

Given the status of audio reproduction in the days when the brand was debuted, "Realistic" was definitely something to aspire to, right in line with "high-fidelity".  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I like the Goldman guys... (one in particular...) :)  (I’m sure you remember his name..)

Some are doing better than others...

As for K-Mart... it got in the position to be bought out by that other guy... Walmart...

Sears thought the catalog business would stand on its own...  Catalogs kinda still exist... they’re called Amazon now...

Mr. Lampert thought the real estate value of these companies were worth buying...  that didn’t work well enough...

Who couldn’t see the internet coming... it was a slow freight train... if your retail company got run over... they say it got Amazoned...

Who couldn’t see Jeff Bezos building Amazon... it started out by killing off used book stores... then new Book stores....

If you look close enough... Walmart has a digital branch called Jet.com... Everything Walmart is available through the internet...

Before committing to working for a big company... know the management chain... stay nimble... make a lot of friends in different areas...   :)

If you work in retail... make sure your products can’t get Amazoned...   Home Depot and Lowe’s are pretty good at this strategy...

PP thoughts only... my first company to work for was bought out between the time I  accepted the job and going to work the first day...  facility closed three years later...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1