GPS recommendations for '79 M20k with original radios

warrenn

Thanks, you make a good point. At this moment I don't know how much it will cost to even repair the autopilot and if it is a lot, I might just skip it. If I decide to fix it, I can see what the cost of the coupling would be and make my decision. The IFD purchase is several months off, so I have time to weigh the options.

1 hour ago, warrenn said:

Thanks, you make a good point. At this moment I don't know how much it will cost to even repair the autopilot and if it is a lot, I might just skip it. If I decide to fix it, I can see what the cost of the coupling would be and make my decision. The IFD purchase is several months off, so I have time to weigh the options.

Makes sense.  Good luck!

I know you are focused on GPS, but there are two other things that are invaluable in a 231 that you should consider. One is a moving map with a weather subscription. You can get that with an MX20 or MX200, but the MX20 is old technology and not supported. The GTN750 also provides it. If you fly longer trips you will invariably deal with fronts and weather changes. It is possible to get wx on an iPad with a Stratus, but XM WX on a 750 is much better, both in screen definition and shorter lag times.

The other is, change out all the coax and install new low resistance coax for the comms in particular. Finally did that in my aircraft this past year and that took care of a nagging problem where I would lose ATC at extended ranges or with big weather in the vicinity. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am pretty satisfied with the ADSB-in plus Foreflight using FIS-B. The resolution is not great but adequate and I can live with the small delay. I don't need more subscriptions and I have pretty definitely decided on an Avidyne IFD540.