M20K left roll tendency

Airways

1 hour ago, Airways said:

We narrowed it down to adjusting the righthand aileron trim tab.  My question now is: does the aileron trim tab require equal bending over the whole span or do you just bend the outboard part ?  The reason I ask is because it seems hard to bend the whole aileron trim tab at once over the whole span.

The book says to use 3” wide vice grip pliers to bend the trailing edge, I’ve never done it this way.  I clamp two pieces of 1 x2 pine over the trailing edge and bend the entire surface a very small amount.

The book also says to only Ben the trailing edge down.  Make sure you’re bending the correct aileron.

Clarence

18 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I clamp two pieces of 1 x2 pine over the trailing edge and bend the entire surface a very small amount.

Isn’t it hard to get/feel feedback by using two pieces of pine ? How can you tell how much you bend the trailing edge before actually removing the pine and looking at the result ?

2 hours ago, Airways said:

Isn’t it hard to get/feel feedback by using two pieces of pine ? How can you tell how much you bend the trailing edge before actually removing the pine and looking at the result ?

Even looking at it won't tell you much. If you bend the whole trailing edge, the bend will hard to see. It is mostly by feel. 

If you are narcotic enough, you can drill holes where the rivets are so the boards clamp tight on the edge.

5 hours ago, Airways said:

We narrowed it down to adjusting the righthand aileron trim tab.  My question now is: does the aileron trim tab require equal bending over the whole span or do you just bend the outboard part ?  The reason I ask is because it seems hard to bend the whole aileron trim tab at once over the whole span.

You should bend the entire span since that will require less deflection and be unnoticeable. You can do a short section at a time and work your way along the length. You should only need to deflect it a tiny amount.

Skip