New Mooney owner thanks you all

2 hours ago, Philip S said:

I have no basis for comparison with other Mooneys, but I think it does okay. Occasionally when its hot out I have to climb out at 110-115 KIAS to keep #4 CHT under the Mike Busch recommended 380F. Cruise CHTs in the 320-330 range at 10k with cowl flaps closed 100+F ROP. I haven't found a leaning regimen I like, but of course that's a whole 'nother discussion...

I didn't know it was a defunct option. I'll have to be very careful with it then!

I believe you have the STWA cowl mod, which is gorgeous and looks an awful lot like a J cowl (?).  Basically all C model owners either are struggling with CHTs, have given up and decided to ignore them, or don't have an engine monitor.  Consistently keeping under 380 on the hottest cylinder is basically unheard of, or even under 400 during takeoff/climb. Some are also suprised to find they get great cylinder longevity regardless, though many are not.  Unlike the similar ARI cowl, I vaguely recall your STC includes replacing the doghouse baffle for a more conventional baffling system?  That could account for the difference.  If so, I wish someone would revive manufacturing the mod under that STC.  I'm curious where your air intake andfilter are- It's not evident from the picture.  I imagine the oil cooler is relocated to the back of the baffling.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DXB said:

I believe you have the STWA cowl mod, which is gorgeous and looks an awful lot like a J cowl (?).  Basically all C model owners either are struggling with CHTs, have given up and decided to ignore them, or don't have an engine monitor.  Consistently keeping under 380 on the hottest cylinder is basically unheard of, or even under 400 during takeoff/climb. Some are also suprised to find they get great cylinder longevity regardless, though many are not.  Unlike the similar ARI cowl, I vaguely recall your STC includes replacing the doghouse baffle for a more conventional baffling system?  That could account for the difference.  If so, I wish someone would revive manufacturing the mod under that STC.  I'm curious where your air intake andfilter are- It's not evident from the picture.  I imagine the oil cooler is relocated to the back of the baffling.

I'll have to check the logs to know. I looked when I purchased but I can't recall. Glad to know the cooling is such an improvement. Air intake and filter is just below the left cowl opening port. Oil cooler is relocated outside of baffling and has a dedicated air hose. I have an airwolf so not sure if that's part of the cowl mod or the airwolf mod. 

Nice to have added to an M20C...

1) Carb temp instrument...

2) Engine monitor... with FF...

3) Refreshed things that help with cooling... seals and patched cracks around the dog house...

Without the sensors, it is really hard to see how bad things are...

Best regards,

-a-

58 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

SWTA is alive and well in Smithville, TX (84R). They just aren't producing the cowls at the moment. But they still own the STC's

www.swta.net

I have one, and it's really nice. The access panel is perfect for topping off the brake fluid. I can actually see what I'm doing!

• Like 1