Any Mooney A&P's Out There?

I've got a grounded Mooney (6 years of not flying) that I need to get moved. I have a trusted A&P but has not previously worked on a Mooney. He/I have a question about the aileron controls. Specifically my aileron tubes are touching a landing gear component. There isn't any interference but metal on metal is concerning. See short video attached. Is this normal? Should there be some kind of teflon or other surface to prevent wear? Also when the gear is up this interference goes away. 

1989 M20J 

Thanks in advanced! 

Oddly enough, someone just posted video about this in the last week:  SB M20-289A aileron center link clearance before and after videos - Vintage Mooneys (pre-J models) - Mooneyspace.com - A community for Mooney aircraft owners and enthusiasts

At least I think this is what you're describing.

22 minutes ago, Parttime_Pilot_Blake said:

I've got a grounded Mooney (6 years of not flying) that I need to get moved. I have a trusted A&P but has not previously worked on a Mooney. He/I have a question about the aileron controls. Specifically my aileron tubes are touching a landing gear component. There isn't any interference but metal on metal is concerning. See short video attached. Is this normal? Should there be some kind of teflon or other surface to prevent wear? Also when the gear is up this interference goes away. 

1989 M20J 

Thanks in advanced! 

IMG_8896.MOV

Good timing!   The thread linked in the response above is pretty fresh, so the service kit should still be available.

Also, AFAIK it is not a safety of flight issue, i.e., it's not an AD, but rather addressed in a Service Bulletin.

16 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Oddly enough, someone just posted video about this in the last week:  SB M20-289A aileron center link clearance before and after videos - Vintage Mooneys (pre-J models) - Mooneyspace.com - A community for Mooney aircraft owners and enthusiasts

At least I think this is what you're describing.

Just now, EricJ said:

Good timing!   The thread linked in the response above is pretty fresh, so the service kit should still be available.

Also, AFAIK it is not a safety of flight issue, i.e., it's not an AD, but rather addressed in a Service Bulletin.

That’s amazing!!! Exactly my issue! There isn’t a spacer between the flange and the bearing just between the two bearings. I’ll get the kit and send it to him! Tailwinds!

~Blake

• Like 1

Yes, this is the SB we performed just a few days ago, using the spacer kit from Mooney.  That's my video in the linked thread.

I would fly an airplane that exhibits this condition - it's not a "going to kill you on the next flight" issue.  But eventually it needs to be addressed.

7 hours ago, PT20J said:

Never a bad idea to look through the service documents on Mooney’s website and see if there are any that haven’t been applied. You can sort them by model.

I’m amazed at how few owners and maintainers bother reading this free information.  Mooney was the first company that I’m aware of to offer these documents for free.

Clarence

2 hours ago, Vance Harral said:

Have you called Mooney themselves?

The kit consists of a standard AN bolt, nut, and cotter pin.  The "magic" is the specific-tolerance spacers.  As far as I know, only Mooney produces them.  LASAR just re-sells the kit form Mooney.

I'm pretty sure that Mooney will only sell parts to an MSC. I know shops that call SWTA regularly to buy parts from Mooney. SWTA can get them as they are an MSC. So is LASAR.

• Like 2

Paul is correct. Mooney will only sell parts through a MSC. You can call them all to see if anyone has the kit in stock - the MSCs are all ilsted on Mooney’s website. LASAR doesn’t stock everything, but you can call them and they will order it and Mooney will ship it to you directly. Lead times vary depending on whether Mooney has it in stock or not.

Skip

• Like 1