Has anybody taken Mooney to grass strips in Idaho?

kajo

@geoffb  Have you been into Cavanaugh Bay recently?  Those trees by the lake sure have gown since I last flew in there years ago.  Luckily the parking lot gives you a good 1/2 wingspan on each side.  But I'm guessing the view on final is a lot different than it used to be.

1 hour ago, jlunseth said:

What did they have to do to get it flying again? I did not see it tip over, I was busy fighting a fish, heard the engine stop, looked up and there it sat, so I don't know what the "hit" was like. Obviously there was a prop strike and the engine stopped. We wondered how they got it back home, this happened out in the wilderness, no roads and no help. I was told they hammered the prop out to get it home. It was Alaska, there is not exactly a service depot around every bend and you are on your own. Ouch!

Not sure what they did to get it flying again but in Alaska they tend to be more creative on fixing things:) According to flight aware the plane is registered in Alaska but the plane is flying around Nampa ID right now.

Pete, we were in there late August last year.  Other than the parking area being a little soft because of the irrigation, it was fine in the E.    Feels narrow on approach, but really not that tight.  Have you been in there with the 231?  Was thinking I'd take mine new plane.  Probably take the inner gear doors off for grass ops.

22 hours ago, PeteMc said:

@geoffb  Have you been into Cavanaugh Bay recently?  Those trees by the lake sure have gown since I last flew in there years ago.  Luckily the parking lot gives you a good 1/2 wingspan on each side.  But I'm guessing the view on final is a lot different than it used to be.

My wife and I were there three times over summer 2020. I found trees not to be issue. Actually, it's one tree by the threshold but it's not really in center so you fly by it, not above.

Runway was in good condition, no holes or such but would get dry and dusty by the end of summer. It is quite long (3500 ft?) and there were a number of bigger planes landing on it. PC12,s Bonanzas, Barons and such but seems we were the only Mooney.  I would hope this year some MS member would fly in.

This is the latest webcam:

CavBay-North.jpg

11 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Yep, great little airport that has always been well maintained. 

Were you camping?

Yes, camping over the (long) weekend. It's nice place and with all facilities and restaurant near by, it's really glamping as my wife would call it. :D

Most impressive is all the various traffic coming in while we were staying there, like a good fly in.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Every time I land one of these out of the way places I have a sickening thought of "what if the engine don't start".  I of course try hard not to think about those things.

Had that happen in a remote area of Mexico. Starter was starting to go bad and would take a few kicks to start it. Took about 10 minutes or hitting it before it started. 

One word:  InReach   More specifically, Garmin InReach (formerly DeLorme)

I guess especially if you fly into the back country, but great to have with you on any flight.  Battery is incredible and I just turn it on before every flight and keep it where it's handy and won't get tossed around. 

I have the Explorer, but they also have a great little one that works just as well.  Originally got mine for hiking in northern ID when I either go alone or we are WAY far away from anything (take my handheld too), but almost immediately started turning it on for every flight.  You can connect them to your phone or tablet and don't have to worry about trying to do anything on the device itself - other than push the SOS button if necessary which is the easiest way.  In the plane I can set off the SOS from my iPad, but if there's time, I'd prob. push the button and clip it to myself.  

Few different packages available, but I just have the basic for ~$14/mo.  I can send a couple of included texts if I'm out hiking on my own, but otherwise it's more for that "what if" you're talking about. 

Seriously take a look if you fly into OR OVER remote places on your own.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 10:32 AM, jlunseth said:

I have landed on all the grass strips in Minnesota, about 2/3rds in my 231 and about a third in a 172. It was fun for awhile, but technical, took some work, and there is always a risk. I never had anything approaching a harrowing situation. But I quit doing it because the novelty wore off and there is some risk, the prop clearance is just too low. If I were to ever decide that it would be fun to lark around to grass strips and go camping or fishing I think I would look for an inexpensive high wing like the Cessna’s or a J3, something you could change tires on if you wanted. I was on the Tsiu River fishing about a year and a half ago and a guy on the far bank did this in a Beaver, an extremely capable off-road aircraft. I have been right seat for landings with one tire in the ocean in these things, but this guy had tarmac tires on for a loose sand takeoff from the look of it. I flew out of camp the next day with the guy who built this airplane, he was not happy and thought the plane would likely not fly again, there would be an engine tear-down at a minimum. I will grant you, this is sand, and all the grass strips I have landed on, some 35 of them, have been well maintained and there were no issues. All the same....

033ECDDE-8BDB-4F12-8E0F-E64D50A16EFB.jpeg

that belongs to the owner of the bent prop lodge,AK..i met him at a stol race flyin at dead cow lake nv.Plane is usually on floats or skiis....he lives in Idaho winter season than summer in alaska.He was definitely having a bad day....

8 minutes ago, thinwing said:

that belongs to the owner of the bent prop lodge,AK..i met him at a stol race flyin at dead cow lake nv.Plane is usually on floats or skiis....he lives in Idaho winter season than summer in alaska.He was definitely having a bad day....

That was the name of the place before this happened.

17 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

That was the name of the place before this happened.

yes...and now he really does have a bent prop!!Beaver is back on floats for what looks like a busy AK summer fishing season,...especially with Canada borders still closed for nonessential (ie fishing,hunting etc)travel