M20K Tanks are starting to weep (top and bottom)

Lakesidelo

Hey Drivers

Does anyone have a good contact for reseal or replacement of tanks in the pacific NW

Im in the Seattle area ....I can drive it down to Florida but hoping for something closer 

Things are not dire yet but the hand writing is on the wall 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2 hours ago, Lakesidelo said:

Does anyone have a good contact for reseal or replacement of tanks in the pacific NW

Strip and reseal is your only option. There are 4 shops that specialize. One in Wilmar, MN, one in Fort Lauderdale FL, one in Houston TX and one in Troutdale, OR.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

It has been quite a few years, but I've had no issues with the tank reseal at Wilmar.

I would not recommend having any other work done to the plane while there.

It's not Wilmar any more. Oasis Aero is there, run by Paul Beck who developed the chemical strip-and-reseal process they use instead of hand scraping. 

8 hours ago, Hank said:

It's not Wilmar any more. Oasis Aero is there, run by Paul Beck who developed the chemical strip-and-reseal process they use instead of hand scraping. 

How long ago was the name change?  And it is basically the same tank stripping and resealing place, correct? 

I think I was there right after Bruce sold and there were still some ties with the shop and Paul breaking off the wing resealing to it's own business.  Do you know if he also now runs the regular maintenance shop too? 

If I recall Wilmar was sold off and Paul created Weep No more. 

Wilmar than went downhill in quality and closed.

Oasis Aero was created became a new Mooney Service Center.

Paul Still runs Weep No More.

The two work very well together but are separate companies.

I think but am not sure, that if issues are found during resealing process, Oasis often is hired to correct said problems - not sure about this. Give them a call and ask - both Eric and Paul and very accessible.

You can do a reseal without any Oasis work.

https://www.weepnomorellc.com/

http://oasisaero.com/

-Seth

Edited by Seth

49 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

How long ago was the name change?  And it is basically the same tank stripping and resealing place, correct? 

I think I was there right after Bruce sold and there were still some ties with the shop and Paul breaking off the wing resealing to it's own business.  Do you know if he also now runs the regular maintenance shop too? 

Suggestion:  NEVER use the words "breaking off the wing" in a sentence involving maintenance!  :D

10 hours ago, PeteMc said:

It has been quite a few years, but I've had no issues with the tank reseal at Wilmar.

I would not recommend having any other work done to the plane while there.

Paul sealed my tanks. They are twelve years old now, no leaks, and some "newbie" landings back in the day.

• Like 1

Paul at Weep No More has done work for me in the past.  I’ve known him about 10 years, and given the quality, care, customer service, and professionalism shown, he has my vote for tank strip and reseal when it’s due on my airplane...no matter how far I have to fly to get to him.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

What's the "warrantee" on the sealing?   I've heard 10, 12, and for life...but the last one is too good to be true.

I ask because mine was done in 2009 (before I owned it), and annual came back with "leaks in both wings...needs total reseal".  Ugh.

Who did the reseal in 2009?

Who is giving the total re-seal advice, and why?

If done properly in 09, it would be really unexpected to need to be redone now…

Find the log entry to see what was really done in 2009… and what was not done…

Share pics from inside the tank…

Remember 2009 was an economically tough year…

PP thoughts only, not a tank sealant expert… or economist…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gatlin Gun said:

What's the "warrantee" on the sealing?   I've heard 10, 12, and for life...but the last one is too good to be true.

I ask because mine was done in 2009 (before I owned it), and annual came back with "leaks in both wings...needs total reseal".  Ugh.

I think they’re all 5 years on a reseal. A normal inexpensive patch from a local a&p less. Just depends on how bad it is. 

I noticed there are some questions/statements in this thread about “Willmar.” Seth is correct, Bruce Jaeger sold Willmar Aviation to Brian Negen and Brian ran it for several years. It folded. Eric Rudningen and Paul Beck took over the building and the operation of the airport. Their business is Oasis Aero, although those of us in the habit still call it “Willmar.” I take my aircraft to Oasis for all work, including oil changes. I have a test for mechanics, if they try to kill me I don’t go back. I am talking about things like leaving parts out of an installation or misdiagnosing a major problem. I have dealt with all the operations at Willmar for over a decade, I know some people had difficulty with Brian, I never did. But the bottom line is that the current operation, Oasis, does superior work and none of the operations at Willmar have ever tried to kill me. Weep No More is a separate company, but Paul and Eric will both take excellent care of you and your aircraft. The last couple of years the place has been full to the brim with Mooneys, so there are a lot of people who already know that.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, carusoam said:

Who did the reseal in 2009?

Who is giving the total re-seal advice, and why?

If done properly in 09, it would be really unexpected to need to be redone now…

EXACTLY my thoughts; that it shouldn't need a redo already.  I guess that's why I was asking you guys...seems off.

And "weep no more" in Minnesota did the reseal in 09.  Mooney Service Center in Virginia (Lynchburg (KLYH)) is making the recommendation.  Unfortunately, they have my maintenance logs so I can't read them at the moment...as we wait for Rocket Engineering to reply...someday.  Miss my girl.  

• Like 1

I would absolutely get a second opinion if Freedom Aviation is telling you that any significant work is needed. They are notorious for running up bills at every opportunity. This comes from well sourced stories of other mooney drivers and a previous A&P IA that used to work there. I’ll buy oil from them as they sell at Aircraft spruce prices minus shipping but that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I would give my recommendation of extending your flight a bit for annual (or anything) to AGL Aviation. Superb work and fair pricing. I’ll fly an hour and rent a car to drive 2.5 hours back from there before flying 15 minutes and allowing the MSC in Lynchburg even look at my airplane (literally what I do).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That's interesting to hear...and a bit scary...since he/they found MULTIPLE issues that has run my annual up to $12k now.  That's right....$12,000 and counting.  

They said they can't do the fuel leak fix anyway, so at least that issue isn't trying to get more money, but really really good to know!  thank you!