M20K Tanks are starting to weep (top and bottom)

Lakesidelo

That's interesting to hear...and a bit scary...since he/they found MULTIPLE issues that has run my annual up to $12k now.  That's right....$12,000 and counting.  
They said they can't do the fuel leak fix anyway, so at least that issue isn't trying to get more money, but really really good to know!  thank you!

Yeah, that’s exactly what they’re known for (locally at least). I wish I had seen where you were looking for an MSC before now. The maintenance manager has been quoted saying “If they can afford to own an airplane they can afford the maintenance” as a way to justify finding ways to run up the annual cost. I think if you ended up there and needing maintenance it would be cheaper to disassemble the airplane and truck it somewhere else to be repaired. I’m sorry you’re going through this with them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Huitt3106 said:

The maintenance manager has been quoted saying “If they can afford to own an airplane they can afford the maintenance” as a way to justify finding ways to run up the annual cost.

Well, the charges have been a bit ridiculous...so I'm going to try your recommendation in NC.  I just looked it up, and it's a 6 hour drive one-way, but I can't say I'll be bringing my girl back to Freedom Aviation after what you've said, others have experienced, and now what I'm going through.  

I really do appreciate the insight!  lot's of "cracked hoses" and "cracked firewall repair" and other weird, hard-to-prove things on the invoice right now.  So to hear you say they're notorious for this, I guess it continues and I'm just the next idiot.  crap.  

I had my Ovation inspected and recertified as N-registered airplane, through the DER with Freedom in Lynchburg about 5 years ago.  All seemed reasonable, except less than 3 months in my local mechanic found a problem with my exhaust system.  This was just after the previous owner had an annual in Canada done.  I seem to recall some other things that popped up that probably should have been caught, only other one I can recall is the fuel injection wasn't set up properly, needed more gas to keep EGT's on the rich side.    Overall I would grade them a C.      

@Gatlin Gun I am based sort of out of Richmond starting next week, if you need a shuttle anywhere let me know.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mark89114 said:

@Gatlin Gun I am based sort of out of Richmond starting next week, if you need a shuttle anywhere let me know.

I really really appreciate it, Mark!  I'm actually pretty pissed and it's STILL not done.  After all the responses and info on here, I do not see myself going back there.  

...except to get my plane! :) 

• 2 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, Huitt3106 said:

I would absolutely get a second opinion if Freedom Aviation is telling you that any significant work is needed. They are notorious for running up bills at every opportunity. This comes from well sourced stories of other mooney drivers and a previous A&P IA that used to work there. I’ll buy oil from them as they sell at Aircraft spruce prices minus shipping but that’s about it.

well, I can't tell you how right you were...are.  Do NOT goto Lynchburg maintenance!!!  They are NOT a real MSC.  So many details (used Cessna replacement rules, failed to add engine monitor probes and KEPT THEM, didn't realize the Rocket overhaul resets AD requirements, and on, and on, and on).  

OH!  And the fuel leak was total BS.  Gave it to WeepNoMore and the boys up in Wilmar.  No leaks.  

I'm getting my plane back tomorrow...from a May Annual.  DO NOT GOTO Lynchburg, Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohhhhhh....forgot my favorite part.  Every had a Mooney Service Center MANAGER tell you that you should sell your mooney because Mooney "really doesn't support their aircraft anymore"??  True story.  Can't even make this crap up.........................

10 minutes ago, Steve Dawson said:

Anyone with a pirep on Wingologist in Ft Lauderdale? 

I used them in 2010. He drove me to the commercial airport across town to fly home.

He was done on time and on budget. Seven year warranty, but not needed.

Edison us a class act. When I dropped my plane off, he had four other Mooneys there--Mooney tank reseal is his entire business. Must be pushing 25 years now, if not more.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Dawson said:

Anyone with a pirep on Wingologist in Ft Lauderdale? 

There are two people that have done more complete strip and re-seals of Mooney tanks than all of the others combined: Paul in Willmar, MN, Weep No More and Edison at WetWingologist in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Edison did tanks on an Ovation that I owned and they were leak free many years later. Paul would do just as well. There are others that do this, but I personally will go with one of those two when the time comes. They are both about the same distance for me, so it would depend on scheduling.

9 hours ago, Gatlin Gun said:

ohhhhhh....forgot my favorite part.  Every had a Mooney Service Center MANAGER tell you that you should sell your mooney because Mooney "really doesn't support their aircraft anymore"??  True story.  Can't even make this crap up.........................

If he's having a hard time getting parts from Mooney then that's his point of view. Whether someone buys Mooney or not should be of keen interest to all of us if we'd like to keep our Mooneys in the air. Most parts aren't Mooney specific, but for the ones that are, other than buying salvage parts or making owner produced parts, you don't have many options.

well, I can't tell you how right you were...are.  Do NOT goto Lynchburg maintenance!!!  They are NOT a real MSC.  So many details (used Cessna replacement rules, failed to add engine monitor probes and KEPT THEM, didn't realize the Rocket overhaul resets AD requirements, and on, and on, and on).  
OH!  And the fuel leak was total BS.  Gave it to WeepNoMore and the boys up in Wilmar.  No leaks.  
I'm getting my plane back tomorrow...from a May Annual.  DO NOT GOTO Lynchburg, Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m really sorry you had to go through that. They don’t have a good reputation for being friendly and reasonable when it comes to real world application of maintenance requirements and budgeting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk