Trunk tie-downs

31 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

I'm thinking of a solution for the hat alcove too. I want to keep stuff without the fear that they could fly forward and decapitate us.

Be careful what you put there. The weight limit is only 10 lbs after all.

I keepsake headsets, tie down ropes, a blanket, fuel dip stick and sample cup, etc., back there.

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

The weight limit is only 10 lbs after all.

Wasn't it 20 lbs (which is almost 10 kg)????

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

headsets, tie down ropes, a blanket, fuel dip stick and sample cup, etc

I want to keep exactly these kinds of things plus first aid kit and maybe 1-2 oil bottles but in case of some mild windshear that makes you lose only 10-15 kts, a headset can hurt a lot. In case of an accident, it can be lethal. You know, hopefully it never happens to anyone but have you watched the movie pentalogy "Final Destination"? ;)

11 minutes ago, FlyingDude said:

Ouch. 10lbs ain't nothin' :(

I found the pdf copy of the poh for the chaparral, not the super 21 which is what I have...

oh well. In that case I won't bother design anything for the hatrack... Not worth it :(

Check the Downloads section here. I got the last year's copy for my C there (1977). See what is available for Es.

• Like 1

Hat rack is where I put my cabin cover, cowl plus, pitot cover bungee cords to lock control surfaces and tiedown straps.  Weight is 10.4 lbs and the .4 has not bothered anything in 120 hours of flying.  Even though I hangar, never know when have to land somewhere and spend the night, etc.  Also all of it is pretty soft so not too worried about being hit by it, and if done properly the cabin cover packs tight.  

I considered purchasing a M20C that had a 15 gallon aux tank in the baggage compartment.  That made the compartment virtually useless for baggage, and as a result the owner had a bunch of stuff on top of the tank and in the hat rack.  VERY easy for that stuff to migrate forward over the backseat, not to mention, way more than 120 lbs back there.  Maybe that explains why he reported it was faster than most Cs?  :-)  

There are inexpensive elastic nets used on motorcycles to secure stuff to the seat, they are made from bungee cord.

‘One of those would work well to secure stuff on the hat rack if you wanted, only light stuff of course 

Seems even harbor freight has one

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-x-15-in-motorcycle-cargo-net-69621.html?cid=paid_google|||69621&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=&utm_content=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw38-DBhDpARIsADJ3kjmkXYxRG6AUY_qUdRzoREzYzw5iNHZTzVkojtpwqxMGOQ4hql8ETB8aArCcEALw_wcB

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, A64Pilot said:

inexpensive elastic nets

Awesome. Thank you. I'll get some. I need to figure out how to fasten them to the fuselage. The screws I spotted are trim screws, holding the plastic. I'm not sure if they're sturdy enough. Big again... I may be overthinking it for 10 lbs. Lol

This is an interesting conversation. I just took my cargo straps out of the plane. In my M20K, there are two straps, four pieces, that are bolted to the floor of the baggage compartment. I didn't get them unbolted while the belly was off, so I just cut the straps and tucked the ends back under the carpet. I'd never once used the straps and It cleaned up the look of the baggage area

• Like 1