FlightStream 510 issue

Is there a way to force either my iPad with the current nav database on it or the GTN 650 to accept the current nav database from my iPad?

I have been trying to update the latest nav database with no luck. I am doing nothing different than any other time.  The message on my GTN says its connected to my portable device and Garmin Pilot is open.  It will not start the nav database transfer.  

I would call Garmin but that will prob be a dead end as usual.  I can just hear them now saying that all of their staff is traveling to SNF this week.  Please check back in May.

I recommend pulling the card and updating through your computer.  It's nice to have the FS 510 and all, but I have found the reliability to be less than stellar.  I spend more time trying to figure out why database sync doesn't sync than just bringing home the card and updating it there, which is what I have been doing ---reliably.

• Like 2

I bought one about a year and a half ago. In the beginning it was working great. Then, I started having trouble. I downloaded the database and it was not transferring it to the unit.  I called Garmin and, surprise, they said that it was a Jeppesen problem. Jeppesen of course said it was a Garmin issue. So I called Garmin again and it seemed that the Serial Numbers of my 650 and 750 were not correct. It was corrected and it started to work well again. Then out of the blue I had the same problem again! No more updates, called Garmin and they told me to reformat the card. I did it and the card died!!! I could not rescue it. Called Garmin said it was my fault... out of warranty... so please get a "discounted card". Great did it... Now I have a brand new card and... it still does not work! So I reverted to what Don just suggested, take the card out and update it on your computer... Works great... one day they will figure it out how to make it work. In the meantime I will just continue using my Mac to update the card.

• Sad 1

Mine seems to often hang on the 'packaging updates' using my Pixel 5 or iPad Mini.

After much tinkering, this is my most reliable process:

1) Reboot iPad

2) Power up the GPS

3) Connect to WiFi

4) Wait for it to recognize connected device

5) Open Garmin Pilot

6) Wait for it to recognize the new databases available

7) On the iPad go to the Connext screen for the FS510

8) Wait about a minute on the Connext screen

9) Trigger the updates on the GPS

At this point the iPad will show an ETA on transfer time remaining, so I touch the screen every 30 seconds or so so it doesn't fall asleep.

Edit 08/08/2021: For what it's worth, I upgraded to the latest firmware on my 750 and it works without issue and hackery every time now.

Edited by smwash02
  • Like 1

Having the same exact problem updating from an iPad to a GTN 750.  Will update the card from my home computer today and hope Garmin addresses the problem soon.  Will not frustrate myself by calling Garmin yet, at least until Sun & Fun is over.

I've been having issues updating the database to the 750 using the SD Card. There have been times when the GTN starts up and recognizes the new data and asks if I want to update. But most of the time it doesn't recognize it and I start a whole cycle of reformatting the SD Card and reloading the data from Flygarmin only for the GTN to not recognize it. Then there was the situation a few weeks ago when I inserted the SD Card into the unit, it didn't recognize the new data and I flew off. When I started the system up for the return flight home, I was prompted to update the data.

22 hours ago, smwash02 said:

Mine seems to often hang on the 'packaging updates' using my Pixel 5 or iPad Mini.

After much tinkering, this is my most reliable process:

1) Reboot iPad

2) Power up the GPS

3) Connect to WiFi

4) Wait for it to recognize connected device

5) Open Garmin Pilot

6) Wait for it to recognize the new databases available

7) On the iPad go to the Connext screen for the FS510

8) Wait about a minute on the Connect screen

9) Trigger the updates on the GPS

At this point the iPad will show an ETA on transfer time remaining, so I touch the screen every 30 seconds or so so it doesn't fall asleep.

What I found is if you wait for step 6, it will trigger the showing of the new databases. Unfortunately it can several minutes before the database updates show and my impatience has me doing my New Jersey "forgetaboutit". 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Marauder said:

What I found is if you wait for step 6, it will trigger the showing of the new databases. Unfortunately it can several minutes before the database updates show and my impatience has me doing my New Jersey "forgetaboutit". 

Interesting, that's different behavior than mine. Mine always shows the available updates nearly instantly. Once I connect with WiFi it's never more than 10 seconds or so before it shows the list.

It's only the 'packaging updates' mine gets hung on. I have a ground plug and left for lunch once and it never finished that step. I rebooted everything and it immediately started.

On 4/11/2021 at 5:00 PM, Jim Peace said:

Is there a way to force either my iPad with the current nav database on it or the GTN 650 to accept the current nav database from my iPad?

Yes.  I figured a video would be easier than typing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jamesm said:

If  the flight stream is that unreliable on loading the nav databases. how reliable is it when trying to download your foreflight flight plan from your Ipad ?

and if that is unreliable what else is it good for?

Thanks,

James '67C

Extremely reliable.  Instantaneous push to iPad of changes.  I tap "activate" on the GTN 750's Direct To and within less than a second the iPad asks if I want to transfer the updated flight plan.  Going the other way also happens in mere seconds.  I update my charts using the 510's SD card function; I do not use Garmin Pilot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, jamesm said:

If  the flight stream is that unreliable on loading the nav databases. how reliable is it when trying to download your foreflight flight plan from your Ipad ?

Thanks,

James '67C

very reliable for the flight plan stuff in both directions....

11 hours ago, jamesm said:

Thanks,

James '67C

I’ve never in my 5 years using it ever had an issue with the flight plan transfer. I have had the occasional issues with the database update.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:29 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

Then out of the blue I had the same problem again! No more updates, called Garmin and they told me to reformat the card. I did it and the card died!!! I could not rescue it. Called Garmin said it was my fault... out of warranty... so please get a "discounted card". Great did it... Now I have a brand new card and... it still does not work! So I reverted to what Don just suggested, take the card out and update it on your computer... Works great... one day they will figure it out how to make it work. In the meantime I will just continue using my Mac to update the card.

Since Garmin takes a 32gb WiFi/Bluetooth SD card (similar to the ones used in cameras to share pictures), adds their software and puts a sticker on it and sells it for over $1200, they ought to just exchange it when it goes bad.

image.png.a90834801cbc393c75b282f505daeb60.png

37 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

Since Garmin takes a 32gb WiFi/Bluetooth SD card (similar to the ones used in cameras to share pictures), adds their software and puts a sticker on it and sells it for over $1200, they ought to just exchange it when it goes bad.

image.png.a90834801cbc393c75b282f505daeb60.png

And what? Have Garmin miss out on an opportunity to gouge us? :)

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

image.png.639b0f3bd650245b1524d475e623dc3e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

so now on the next nav database revision...same thing....cant get it to update.....all seems well but the flightstream is a POS:

The NAV data is on my iPad ready to be uploaded to my GTN and the GTN is connected.

IMG_5099.thumb.jpg.d381d3c11326c6c68e421d863908ce9b.jpgIMG_5098.thumb.jpg.97bbcd11a955dd674d880d27f828d772.jpg

I don't do updates via Pilot and the 510.  But when I do them via the SD Card, the Database Button appears right after power up.

So don't push any buttons when you first turn on the 650 and see if "Database" shows up after it recognized there is an update available.  Might take a few seconds since the iPad needs to connect to the 650 and then they need to compare databases.