M20 j landing fairings

chan65

over a belly wash from a long cross country and a bunch of landings, i noticed landing fairings, the stationary pieces #30 on the illustration i attached , is this an easy to source replacement item? Not listed on Lasar, and I dont see any used ones, is it time to start mastering fiberglass repair?   One screw hole is starting to show some weakness on the cowling.

Looking for any experience with this , plane is 42 years old

thanks 

MAN226 Illustrated Parts Manual landing fairings.pdf MAN226 llustrated Parts Manual.pdf

Edited by chan65

Lost in translation..?

That’s pretty funny...

800+ pages of parts manual.

And a part name that doesn’t sound familiar...  Landing (?) faring...

Where part numbers are complex like phone numbers...  #30 (?)

Chan, how about a pic of what you are looking for?

Anyone cleaning the panels of the plane’s undersides.... may have several panels or a one piece belly panel mod...

either way... if you have worn holes in fiberglass panels... they are repairable... often at a local Corvette shop overseen by your mechanic...

best regards,

-a-

On 4/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, 1980Mooney said:

Yes that was the parts the fairing, thank  you for your help, i sourced them from Lasar for about 500

• Like 1

I’m hoping I can can start making the carbon OPP ones again soon.  Got some stable childcare and my part of the hospital is pretty normal again. Problem is those guys are quite labor intensive for what I charge for them- and they are maybe too strong unless attention is taken to anti chafe.  Vacuum forming would be awesome.  It take a bit of effort to built the fixture and oven though.   

1 hour ago, mike261 said:

stop drilled and fiberglass mesh and resin. it made them twice as heavy though, as they are very light. im not positive but i think also they started life flexible...these however are not anymore.

Mike

The originals do have some flex. I’m not sure what material they are molded from. It seems more pliable than ABS. I always assumed the material was chosen to have some “give” when the metal inner door closes over them, but that’s just conjecture. Even at that, they always seem to get damaged a bit at the “corners”. I spent some time with the plane on jacks reforming the doors to better match the fairing contour and then applied some 1/16” thick silicone tape to the door to cushion it.

I was thinking that this might make a repair while retaining some flex if they aren’t too beat up.

https://www.permatex.com/products/specialized-maintenance-repair/radiator-tank-repair/permatex-plastic-tank-repair-kit/?locale=en_us

Skip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...