G5 External antenna

PT20J

11 hours ago, EricJ said:

So it sounds like the best thing to do is to connect a glareshield antenna and enable the internal GPS.   Even if the glareshield antenna fails, if the RS-232-connected GPS is still providing data it will revert to that.   If that also fails, it'll revert to pitot/static.   I think if the internal GPS is not specifically enabled in configuration it'll ignore it?   This is still a little confusing...no surprise there

That is correct, in addition to installing the glareshield antenna (which by the way works perfectly fine below the glareshield as a minor modification of the STC instructions) you need to enable the internal GPS or else it will not provide any data for aiding.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@PT20J  I should have been a bit clearer; I tapped onto the load side of the Battery Master Solenoid.  So, in short, my two position switch allows me to either run the entire avionics bus off the avionics relay or isolate the 430W and ATT G5 and run just them directly off the Battery Bus when the Master is ON.  Initially I intended to only put the 430W on this side of the bus, allowing me to get weather and input my flight plan before starting the engine and without having all the avionics on draining the battery.  Since I have a generator still, this helps keep me from running at 1300 rpm and allows my engine temps to stay manageable when its hotter than the sun in Texas.    But to comply with the G5 requirement to have the ATT indicator on the Battery Bus, I figured this was essentially the same thing and would provide some redundancy to failures.

Anyways, your research on how the G5 works is appreciated! I have an external antenna I use for my Straux build.  I wonder how the feds would feel about having a pigtail w/ adapter coming off the internal GPS connector and stashed for emergency use in case of a GPS failure? Yes you would need to go into the G5 and enable the internal GPS in an emergency, but then again its an emergency? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...