20k Mooney F N9554M

Read up on what ‘distractions’ are and how they work...

it is a mis-used word that has a different meaning when it happens in aviation...

Forgetting to put the gear down would be a pretty extreme example...

Like forgetting to use a check list....

hmmmm.... were you expecting to grow out of using checklists?

PP thoughts only, not a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

Gubni ,    Congrats , you are one of the few , people who has listened to your IA , Good for you , I researched this airplane , it has been deregistered for 20 years , probably not flown for 30 .... Plane is worth 5k or less... This plane will NEVER fly ever again..... I buy a lot of these projects , after someone buys it with delusions of resurrecting it....  Get your private , figure out your mission , and buy the correct aircraft for your mission... ,   and buy a flying aircraft..... There are very few aircraft that have sat for more than 10 to 12 years , that are worth more than the value of their parts....  Good luck , on your private...

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Gubni ,    Congrats , you are one of the few , people who has listened to your IA , Good for you , I researched this airplane , it has been deregistered for 20 years , probably not flown for 30 .... Plane is worth 5k or less... This plane will NEVER fly ever again..... I buy a lot of these projects , after someone buys it with delusions of resurrecting it....  Get your private , figure out your mission , and buy the correct aircraft for your mission... ,   and buy a flying aircraft..... There are very few aircraft that have sat for more than 10 to 12 years , that are worth more than the value of their parts....  Good luck , on your private...

What Alan said...I drove over from CVG and got there just after the prospective buyer, the Car Dealership owners were there too. I took one walk around the filthy, dirty airframe and ragged out interior and told him to walk away fast. Told the owners that it’s not worth half of what they want. Their reply was; “We got lots of interested buyers” Just like a car salesman, no offense to any who are...I’m glad “Gubni” came out and listened! You’ll find something, just keep looking....

• Like 1

The owners sent me videos of it taxing around a few minutes ago. I didn't doubt that the motor would run. 

Kay problems I saw. 

1. I specifically asked if there was prop damage and I was told no. There was prop damage.

2. Two different spots on the motor had hobs of silicon at a connection. To me it looked like an internal o-ring had failed and they tried to seal it externally. To me this is a poor repair.

3. Interior pieces had been taken out many years ago and he said he left them out because of weight savings. These were plastics. To me I felt this was a sign of laziness.

Edited by Gubni

2 hours ago, Gubni said:

The owners sent me videos of it taxing around a few minutes ago. I didn't doubt that the motor would run. 

Kay problems I saw. 

1. I specifically asked if there was prop damage and I was told no. There was prop damage.

2. Two different spots on the motor had hobs of silicon at a connection. To me it looked like an internal o-ring had failed and they tried to seal it externally. To me this is a poor repair.

3. Interior pieces had been taken out many years ago and he said he left them out because of weight savings. These were plastics. To me I felt this was a sign of laziness.

@Gubni  Please, please tell me you are walking (should be running) away from this one!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gubni said:

Kay problems I saw. 

Leaving plastic out to save weight , is a lie , not laziness ,   as the prop damage was also a lie....   Never buy anything from a liar...

• Like 9

I mean this is the nicest way but as a family owing a car dealership how can they think it’s a good idea to sell vs salvage an aircraft like this for an extra $10k. Liability/image wise I think they’d be money ahead to shelter themselves from any work/damage that was done by the father...

• Like 3

Smart move @Gubni
as for insurance, I called all around. I’m 43 yo,  no violations or issues, 200 hrs in make and model, 300 total, ppl, wiings credits, hangared and 50,000 hull and 500,000 liability...$1580 a year. Avemco was $1800 but with instrument came down to $1650.

First year of ownership comes with an extra amu attached to the insurance price...

So... if you are a mirror image of Mr.  SSimpson above... your first year of insurance will be about 2600...

Get that first year and about 100hrs... and the surcharge goes away...

Adding the IR has a nice way of lowering the insurance cost as well...

PP memories of things reported around here... not an insurance guru...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1