SB M20-289A aileron center link clearance before and after videos

15 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I’ve circled the links in question for you.  The SB kit includes everything required 

D8D22074-59E7-4CEE-882C-ED6314823F7B.jpeg

Thanks @M20doc I surmised that was the linkage in question always good to get a second opinion!

I can't remember who but someone once told me if you don't  have washer between the bolt head or nut end of the rod end. it is possible for the ball of the rod end to pop out of rod end housing.  that cause me to double check anytime I see a rod end to verify there is washer at very least nut and bolt end of the assembly.

16 hours ago, jamesm said:

I can't remember who but someone once told me if you don't  have washer between the bolt head or nut end of the rod end. it is possible for the ball of the rod end to pop out of rod end housing.  that cause me to double check anytime I see a rod end to verify there is washer at very least nut and bolt end of the assembly.

I believe you are referring to the practice of installing a large planform washer on a rod end where there is a possibility that if the socket came off the ball it could slip over the the nut or bolt head and become disconnected. I know some experimental builders do this, but I don't know how prevalent it is on production aircraft. And I have no idea how often rod ends fail in this way.

Skip

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

I believe you are referring to the practice of installing a large planform washer on a rod end where there is a possibility that if the socket came off the ball it could slip over the the nut or bolt head and become disconnected. I know some experimental builders do this, but I don't know how prevalent it is on production aircraft. And I have no idea how often rod ends fail in this way.

Skip

It’s depends on manufacturer and models.  Some add the penny washer and some don’t.  I’ll often add one where it doesn’t interfere with the installation.

Clarence

22 hours ago, PT20J said:

Skip

My engine control cables all have them but I think one of them is installed wrong (probably by me).   Next time the cowl is off I'll probably fix it.

I just finished my annual and I looked at these aileron links while the belly was off.   Mine move quite a bit and there's a bare spot on the landing gear actuator tube where it's been rubbing, but it doesn't really seem to be problematic.   I suspect it's been like that for a loooong time.   I'll see what the kit costs and whether the local MSC has it or can get it and maybe put it in next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

My engine control cables all have them but I think one of them is installed wrong (probably by me).   Next time the cowl is off I'll probably fix it.

I just finished my annual and I looked at these aileron links while the belly was off.   Mine move quite a bit and there's a bare spot on the landing gear actuator tube where it's been rubbing, but it doesn't really seem to be problematic.   I suspect it's been like that for a loooong time.   I'll see what the kit costs and whether the local MSC has it or can get it and maybe put it in next year.

Since the kit give the dimesions of the spacers and the rest is common hardware, you could also just make the spacers.

30 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Since the kit give the dimesions of the spacers and the rest is common hardware, you could also just make the spacers.

Yeah, was looking at that.   Lasar lists the kit at $271 but says they don't have them.   The spacer material isn't indicated, though.   Nylon?   

Just now, EricJ said:

Yeah, was looking at that.   Lasar lists the kit at $271 but says they don't have them.   The spacer material isn't indicated, though.   Nylon?   

Pretty sure it’s steel or aluminum from the look of it. Mine was installed by the previous owner. Maybe @M20Doc knows. 

3 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Pretty sure it’s steel or aluminum from the look of it. Mine was installed by the previous owner. Maybe @M20Doc knows. 

In Vance's vid in this thread from a year ago last April they look like plastic of some kind.

21 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

The three spacers are steel. If the kit is our of stock, see if the spacers are available individually. The bolt and nut are standard AN parts.

Clarence

Lasar shows the spacers individually as well but all out of stock.   The I.D. seems to be much bigger than the bolt, too, so that seems to be an additional unknown.

40 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Lasar shows the spacers individually as well but all out of stock.   The I.D. seems to be much bigger than the bolt, too, so that seems to be an additional unknown.

Maybe Frank Crawford would share the details? Worth a call. 

43 minutes ago, EricJ said:

The spacers are essentially a steel washer that fits around and over the steel ball of the rod end bearing.  The centre spacer is twice as thick as the two outer spacers.

Clarence