Powered chutes?

RobertGary1

I have a PPC and have about 350 hours flying them. I started when i was in Okinawa slope soaring off the island. Since they have a constant updraft from the ocean winds hitting the cliffs you have a steady dependable ride most days with only strong winds grounding you. I believe at one time the world record of over 24 hours was set at okinawa. Flyers there said some would fall asleep in the 3:30 to 5:30 am time frame when their circadian rhythm was low. Flying in 10-15 mph is the sweet spot. Higher winds makes rise up of the chute too hard and less than 10 you run the risk of not having enough updraft to stay afloat. Awesome to soar next to a hawk or seagull riding the same updraft as you within feet of each other checking each other out. Flew formation with some seagulls once. Very peaceful. You can hear people’s conversations as you float above. Watched a high school football game that was next to one cliff. Having the motor allows the freedom to go any direction you want. It was great for scouting out dirt bike trails from the air and how to get to them. But the noise and vibration I don’t like as much nor the weight of 80lbs on your back as you are running to takeoff if there is no wind. But on calm days skimming the ground you feel like you’re flying a lawn chair. Texas thermals make for rough air and not fun. I’ve only flown a few times here and it’s just not as fun as flying down on a beach or slope soaring with consistent winds. With a 15 mph wing you can trim the chute and fly backwards or hover in place with a motor. Takeoffs are one to two steps and you lift off. 

• Like 3