Paint Shop Cancelled on Me...Need Paint Recommendations

I was all set to get my 1976 F painted in June but I found out this week that the shop lost a few mechanics and cancelled my paint job. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good paint shop? I'm looking mainly in the Southeast (plane is based at KCEW, Crestview, FL). Most places I've called are on a long waiting list, so I'm looking for a place that is less than $15k and can get me in within 6 months. The plane needs paint pretty badly as it is shedding it's layer down to the aluminum in multiple spots. Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’m reminded of the joke: you can have it quick, cheap, or high quality...pick any 2.
Less than $15k? Only if you go with all white and a single color stripe(s) and no metallic colors or reds.

Haha, well it was all set up... But too good to be true apparently. I don't necessarily need it to be a quick job, just something that doesn't break the bank and that I can get in pretty soon. I'm in the military and might move this fall, so I'm looking to get it done before then

Haha, well it was all set up... But too good to be true apparently. I don't necessarily need it to be a quick job, just something that doesn't break the bank and that I can get in pretty soon. I'm in the military and might move this fall, so I'm looking to get it done before then

Try calling Chips custom painting at KFPR.

772 467-9980.

If you are flexible, he might be able to squeeze you in. It worked for me, another plane had to postpone and he called and I jumped in.

Like I said, 2 colors, no red(s), no metallic paint and he might be able to get into your price range. Do you have a scheme in mind? If not, don’t bother, you’re not ready. You won’t get an accurate estimate without knowing what you want.

2 tone jobs (white/blue) like below are also more expensive:

e57ab2a6e58eabaa26abd5cd6ad87d42.jpg

• Like 3

Hawk Aircraft Services, now in Zephyrhills, FL, painted mine in 2017 for $11,500 and did and very good job.  They are very popular and well known and respected in the Mooney community; and for very good reason.  That having been said, I think they have since raised their prices and in my case at least it took much longer than was originally estimated to get the job done.  Even so, I recommend them highly.  A bad painter can do far more harm than good, so choose wisely.  
Jim
https://hawkaircraft.com/index.php/mooney-aircraft-2/

Last I heard they were 8 months to get in. I try to contact them via phone and email, they never responded. I would guess OPs color scheme to cost $17,000, give or take.

• 4 weeks later...

Hawk is booking for June last that I heard.  I actually booked a December spot. Either my M20E or a new Bonanza.  We'll see what I own at that time. Lol.  It will be $16,500 for my M20E but said a quality job would take 3 months to complete.  That's why we are doing December drop off, winter flying sucks in Ohio.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NJMac said:

Hawk is booking for June last that I heard.  I actually booked a December spot. Either my M20E or a new Bonanza.  We'll see what I own at that time. Lol.  It will be $16,500 for my M20E but said a quality job would take 3 months to complete.  That's why we are doing December drop off, winter flying sucks in Ohio.

Same price I was quoted 1.5 years ago for a long body. Prices are going up fast, probably a good idea to nail down a price ASAP. People who always recommend waiting until everything else is complete are probably kicking themselves as the price has jumped over 30 percent in a few years. 

2 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Same price I was quoted 1.5 years ago for a long body. Prices are going up fast, probably a good idea to nail down a price ASAP. People who always recommend waiting until everything else is complete are probably kicking themselves as the price has jumped over 30 percent in a few years. 

I think hawk quoted 9.8 in 2015 when I was gathering quotes.  But likewise many other good shops were in the 10 and 11 range.  Seems like everything airplane is rising faster than inflation.

I’ve heard the Sylvania shop does scrub and paint - not a strip job. Does anyone know??  Also I’ve heard of a shop near GSP on a grass strip that does good work and Alabama Aircraft Painting. . Would love feedback from fellow Mooney owners with paint jobs in last few years.  I have a 68 G model. Good bird looking a little rough. Based at 6J0 -10 south of Columbia metro.

4 hours ago, hoot777 said:

I’ve heard the Sylvania shop does scrub and paint - not a strip job. Does anyone know??  Also I’ve heard of a shop near GSP on a grass strip that does good work and Alabama Aircraft Painting. . Would love feedback from fellow Mooney owners with paint jobs in last few years.  I have a 68 G model. Good bird looking a little rough. Based at 6J0 -10 south of Columbia metro.

That is correct. Less rigorous prep, but paint holding up in Georgia sun after 18 months.

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard MB!

Haven’t seen the Eagle running down the side of a plane in quite some time...

We had an early MSer that had a similar, but I’m sure different layout.

Best regards,

-a-

Would love to see a picture of that plane. Re "different layout" – how different?

Probably of interest to no one, the evolution of the design . . . The red/black elongated eagle appears to have been in use fifteen years ago (yours?).  I asked Mooney if there were restrictions on using the design. Some confusion on their end, but after a two-week silence the marketing guy said no problem and offered a template. In the unfortunate traditions of the company at the time, it never arrived so Paul (Moody Aero-Graphics in Ocala) helped with this design. Paul was also responsible for creating the feathers on the wings. This is by way of recommending him (patience required). The painter made some additional changes to Paul's design on the fuselage, presumably to simplify painting. All that said, I would be delighted to see the same or a similar design on more planes. This one gets frequent compliments from tower personnel. Which are gratifying since it's the last paint job I'll be able to afford.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MBernhart said:

Would love to see a picture of that plane. Re "different layout" – how different?

Probably of interest to no one, the evolution of the design . . . The red/black elongated eagle appears to have been in use fifteen years ago (yours?).  I asked Mooney if there were restrictions on using the design. Some confusion on their end, but after a two-week silence the marketing guy said no problem and offered a template. In the unfortunate traditions of the company at the time, it never arrived so Paul (Moody Aero-Graphics in Ocala) helped with this design. Paul was also responsible for creating the feathers on the wings. This is by way of recommending him (patience required). The painter made some additional changes to Paul's design on the fuselage, presumably to simplify painting. All that said, I would be delighted to see the same or a similar design on more planes. This one gets frequent compliments from tower personnel. Which are gratifying since it's the last paint job I'll be able to afford.

Yes, great paint scheme, I always liked it.

I believe that first factory acclaim had it and I was, at the time, considering using it on my plane, except I would go silver and black... 

Enjoy it.

52 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Yes, great paint scheme, I always liked it.

I believe that first factory acclaim had it and I was, at the time, considering using it on my plane, except I would go silver and black... 

Enjoy it.

Yep, here it is.  Factory paint for NASCAR racer Matt Kenseth............... 2008 ish?  Super wild and fun paint scheme/colors !  :D

Matt Kenseth.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Yep, here it is.  Factory paint for NASCAR racer Matt Kenseth............... 2008 ish?  Super wild and fun paint scheme/colors !  :D

Matt Kenseth.jpg

It must be before since I pained my plane in 2007.

IIRC, my friend (ex Rocket owner) told me few years ago he knows the current owner, his friend in Mexico.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues...

Cancelled my annual to fit a paint appointment next week. Just got notified the paint shop is 3-4 weeks delayed now due to storms in TX

Aghhhh! I wish these shops would communicate much better, I had to take leave from work and plan my weekend around this. 

Rant over...just a couple of very poor experiences creating a very frustrating time 

• 8 months later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:52 PM, MooneyMitch said:

Matt Kenseth.jpg

Which coincidentally is up for sale again: https://www.mccreeryaviation.com/inventory/?/listing/for-sale/211205535/2006-mooney-acclaim-piston-single-aircraft?dlr=1&lo=4&accountcrmid=614725&settingscrmid=614725

Serial #2, still has the STEC-55x autopilot

From back in the day in 2006:

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=3207d048-5c7f-4eb0-8c30-72c78336f030

• Like 1