305 Rocket & Oshkosh...

Curious if anyone has flown a Rocket into OSH and what their experience was with regards to taxiing and prop clearance?  Looking to do it this year but that makes me nervous... particularly where I'm watching arrival videos on YouTube and tower has planes veering into the grass off the runway when able.  With barely 8" to clear...makes me nervous.

2 minutes ago, Austin305Rocket said:

Curious if anyone has flown a Rocket into OSH and what their experience was with regards to taxiing and prop clearance?  Looking to do it this year but that makes me nervous... particularly where I'm watching arrival videos on YouTube and tower has planes veering into the grass off the runway when able.  With barely 8" to clear...makes me nervous.

Find the thread from Seth...

Seth is putting the finishing touches on his Missile.... after flying to KOSH...

You are asking the right questions...

Seth has some of your answers...

Best regards,

-a-

We’ve had at least one Rocket/Missile in the Caravan at least for the last 15 years. The post-mass arrival long (very long) taxi makes it easier to avoid what happened to Seth, since you can watch a similar aircraft traverse the same ground before you do.

The grounds do dry relatively quickly, but it seems the last couple years have been wetter. Maybe we will get a much-deserved break this year.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have flown my Missile to Oshkosh numerous times and have been worried every time. As long as you keep the trim up, go slow, keep the control column pulled back, and barely touched the brakes, you should be fine. I've had marshallers turn me around before and as noted by my novel of a post, I was also directed into a muddy area even after asking to not go through it. In hindsight, I should have simply pulled my mixture and held up "the line" to allow me not go through the bad patch. Happy to PM you or have a phone call about it. I was the the third to last aircraft to arrive before the field was then closed for over 24 hours. 

As stated, with the line of Mooneys in front of you you should be able to see where to go and where not to go. You also may need to slow down more than some other Mooney's when taxiing. It shouldn't be a problem however.

Ensure your nose tire is properly inflated as well - every quarter inch counts!

-Seth

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Austin305Rocket said:

Thanks.  A local pilot friend and Mooney driver pointed me to the caravan.  Definitely considering it.

If you are considering the Caravan and have not done the formation clinic then you need to do that first before flying in the caravan.  There is one in San Marcos, Tx the weekend of May14-16th.  Go to www.mooneycaravan.com.  It looks like the clinic in San Marcos has some spots left.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, If I wanted to park with the caravan, but don't have time to do the clinic, Could I meet up with you at the staging airport, Wait for you all to depart, then fly independently to Oshkosh and park with you?

That would be fine with the Caravan, but ATC would send you to the FISK and by the time you landed, there would probably be 20 rows of airplanes parked between us. You might be better going to the FISK before the Caravan departs and try to time your arrival close to the Caravan landing.

The whole purpose of the MooneyCaravan was to create a situation where we could park together. It was never about the formation flying, just parking and camping together.

As you probably know, the ground crew at OSH will just park airplanes as they arrive. So the only way to park together is to arrive together... Thus the B2OSH, MooneyCaravan, and the other mass arrivals.

29 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

If you are considering the Caravan and have not done the formation clinic then you need to do that first before flying in the caravan.  There is one in San Marcos, Tx the weekend of May14-16th.  Go to www.mooneycaravan.com.  It looks like the clinic in San Marcos has some spots left.

This is going to be an interesting year for the Caravan and it will be a much smaller group. Formation flying requires currency and because of the last year and lack of flying and especially flying in groups, there is a lack of qualified and current Lead pilots. Caravan leadership is working hard to get our qualified Lead pilots current. But we will have a shorter list of Lead pilots this year than we have had in the past. And that will mean a smaller overall Caravan group this year.

We've also raised our requirements for Lead pilots this year, in an effort to increase safety, standardization, and reduce risk, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

This is going to be an interesting year for the Caravan and it will be a much smaller group. Formation flying requires currency and because of the last year and lack of flying and especially flying in groups, there is a lack of qualified and current Lead pilots. Caravan leadership is working hard to get our qualified Lead pilots current. But we will have a shorter list of Lead pilots this year than we have had in the past. And that will mean a smaller overall Caravan group this year.

We've also raised our requirements for Lead pilots this year, in an effort to increase safety, standardization, and reduce risk, which is a good thing.

Well, I am taking the course in San Marcos this year.  I am looking forward to it and flying into Oshkosh with the Caravan.  I was supposed to do the clinic last year then Covid hit.  I was also part of the Caravan XIII (The Phantom Caravan) during the 2010 Shloshkosh that was so wet and rainy the Caravan could not get in.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

Well, I am taking the course in San Marcos this year.  I am looking forward to it and flying into Oshkosh with the Caravan.  I was supposed to do the clinic last year then Covid hit.  I was also part of the Caravan XIII (The Phantom Caravan) during the 2010 Shloshkosh that was so wet and rainy the Caravan could not get in.

I'll see you in San Marcos. And maybe we'll fly together. I'm coming down from Denver for the clinic.

• Like 1

Here's an idea?

Contact someone and possibly get permission to park on concrete at or near the FBO in the North 40 area then wagon over our tent and gear and camp with friends over in the north 40.

Is that a possibility?  Anyone know who to contact at OSH to work that out?