G3X / G5 / GFC 500 / GTN 650 Installation time

I'm  getting quotes for installing this equipment and I'm curious how many hours others might have been charged for a similar installation. I'm interested in shop time rather than total cost because equipment pricing and shop rates vary.  I realize every airplane is a bit different, but I'm just trying to get a feeling of a reasonable range of installation time.

Skip

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Just to keep it the same as others... are you doing a new panel cutout as well or cutting up your current one?

It’ll be a new panel.

Skip,

Have a look at aerodon’s pics...

He has a few Mooney instrument panel sheet metal pieces that may be of interest for ideas...

Don has some interesting sheet metal skills...

-a-

• Like 1

I’m spit balling to try to understand the hours.

Remove existing equipment and trays. Assume 4 item to remove - complete in 1 day = 8 hours

Label each wire connection while removing - another 4 hours

Trace and diagram wiring of existing remaining equipment and sketch connections and interface to new equipment - two half days = 8 hours

Clean up existing wires and install new connectors 4 hours for each = 16 hours

On a bench, wire up each new unit to a new connector with the right amount of wire for airplane installation. 1 day for each unit = 8 hours (this number seems fat) = 32 hours.

Install new trays 8 hours total

Install new panel boards = 6 hrs total for 2 of them (fabrication is a delivered cost)

Install new equipment and connect wiring 4 hr each = 16 hrs

Test two days 4 hrs each day = 8 hrs

I get 106 hrs x $90/hr = $10,000-ish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’m spit balling to try to understand the hours.

Remove existing equipment and trays. Assume 4 item to remove - complete in 1 day = 8 hours

Label each wire connection while removing - another 4 hours

Trace and diagram wiring of existing remaining equipment and sketch connections and interface to new equipment - two half days = 8 hours

Clean up existing wires and install new connectors 4 hours for each = 16 hours

On a bench, wire up each new unit to a new connector with the right amount of wire for airplane installation. 1 day for each unit = 8 hours (this number seems fat) = 32 hours.

Install new trays 8 hours total

Install new panel boards = 6 hrs total for 2 of them (fabrication is a delivered cost)

Install new equipment and connect wiring 4 hr each = 16 hrs

Test two days 4 hrs each day = 8 hrs

I get 106 hrs x $90/hr = $10,000-ish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You forgot the time required to remove interior, antenna installation, and servo installation is rather labor intensive since it is different for every plane.

I decided that I only want to tear the airplane apart once while I own it, so I’m getting quotes to tear everything out except the GTX 345 and install a G3X, G5, GFC 500, GTN 650Xi, GNC 255A, GMA 345, and CiES fuel senders and a Guardian CO detector to fill the hole in the console where EDM 700 was installed. Includes new powder coated panels with silkscreened legends and placards. Installation quotes are running north of 250 hrs.

Skip

• Like 1

In February I had similar stuff installed in my J. I had already installed a JPI EDM 900 and removed an ADF and strikefinder myself, meticulously removing old wiring (including some archaeology of wiring and other stuff left behind from equipment long-gone). That probably reduced some of their work.

150 hours for: "Labor to remove existing systems and install new G3X with G5 backup. Remove GNS 430W and Install GNC 255. Remove intercom and audio panel and install GMA 345. Remove autopilot system and install new GFC 500."

That includes removing the whole vacuum system and creating a new panel. They did not have to install or remove any antennas thankfully.

On 4/12/2021 at 10:48 PM, ArtVandelay said:

You forgot the time required to remove interior, antenna installation, and servo installation is rather labor intensive since it is different for every plane.

and a project like this will most likely use new wiring as well. Thats adds some time too.. Once you actually see behind the panel, it makes sense why it takes so long. And testing takes time. Mistakes are made throughout the process.

Also the roll servo on the wing is supposed to be an absolute bitch to take out and install. The autopilot alone takes like 60 to 80 hours to install alone. A project like this should be around 200 hours +- 10%, so what @ArtVandelay stated isn't far off.

Edited by Niko182

Don't forget some time to remove wiring for the old stuff. I have a box with at least 20 lbs of old wire, not including the 40lbs of 1990s electronics. I removed my own interior and have been using the bench time to rehab things that haven't been touched in some time. They told me 120 hours for the GFC500, given the progress the tech has made thus far.